Velocity Reviews

-   -   Not responding (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t669539-not-responding.html)

Andy Petro 02-08-2009 06:47 PM

Not responding

My computer using Win XP .PRO frequently stops responding to files or
seizes up ( stops working ) where I have to restart.
Any help would be appreciated.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 02-08-2009 06:51 PM

Re: Not responding

Andy Petro wrote:

> My computer using Win XP .PRO frequently stops responding to files
> or seizes up ( stops working ) where I have to restart. Any help
> would be appreciated.

Do you have the box your computer came in?

--
-bts

thanatoid 02-08-2009 06:59 PM

Re: Not responding

"Andy Petro" <andy.petro@sympatico.ca> wrote in

> My computer using Win XP .PRO frequently stops responding
> to files or seizes up ( stops working ) where I have to
> restart. Any help would be appreciated.

Not a LOT of info, but get some utility to clean out all the
temp files and crap, get a start-up process utility and
eliminate start-up stuff that just eats memory and does nothing
useful.

When's the last time you defragged? Scandisked?

Get a spyware killer program and make sure you have no malware.

Is your machine AT LEAST 1GHz with 1 GB of memory?

Don't run too many things at once.

This probably won't fix your problem, but you /might/ also
consider a registry cleanup utility. I use the Joni Vuorio one
and ARO from www.systweak.com

Many people say they do nothing or **** things up, nut I have
been using them for years and find them very useful. Never a
problem.

--
"Who knows what the OP is talking about?"
(about thanatoid)

meerkat 02-08-2009 07:02 PM

Re: Not responding

"Andy Petro" <andy.petro@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> My computer using Win XP .PRO frequently stops responding to files
> or seizes up ( stops working ) where I have to restart.
> Any help would be appreciated.

Rt/click My computer/Manage/ Event Viewer.
Check In Applications for errors.
Ditto in System for errors.

Double click on an error, to find out more about it.

bw..

Evan Platt 02-08-2009 07:16 PM

Re: Not responding

On Sun, 8 Feb 2009 13:47:49 -0500, "Andy Petro"
<andy.petro@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>My computer using Win XP .PRO frequently stops responding to files or
>seizes up ( stops working ) where I have to restart.
>Any help would be appreciated.

It's like Deja Vu all over again.

From: "Andy Petro" <andy.petro@sympatico.ca>
Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
Subject: Slow computer
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 13:37:06 -0500

Why is my computer so slow. It takes up to 5 minutes to load
Internet
Explorer or Outlook express or to just start up the computer.

I checked for viruses , etc; used Disk Cleanup and Disk defragmenter.

Running Win XP. PRO . Have 576 megabytes of memory & 2.40 gig Intel
Celeron
processor.

sachin 02-08-2009 07:50 PM

Re: Not responding

On Feb 9, 7:16*am, Evan Platt <e...@*******************************>
wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Feb 2009 13:47:49 -0500, "Andy Petro"
>
> <andy.pe...@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> >My computer using Win XP .PRO *frequently stops responding to files *or
> >seizes up *( stops working ) where I have to restart.
> >Any help would be appreciated.

> It's like Deja Vu all over again.

> From: "Andy Petro" <andy.pe...@sympatico.ca>
> Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
> Subject: Slow computer
> Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 13:37:06 -0500
>
> Why is my computer so slow. * It takes up to 5 minutes to load
> Internet
> Explorer *or *Outlook express *or to just start up the computer.
>
> I checked for viruses , etc; used Disk Cleanup *and Disk defragmenter.
>
> Running Win XP. PRO . Have 576 megabytes of memory *& 2.40 gig Intel
> Celeron
> processor.

hey

Scan for spyware and virus. if its too slow to loat antivirus then
take the HD out and plug it as an external drive in a working PC that
is protected with antispyware and antivirus and scan it.

John Holmes 02-08-2009 08:08 PM

Re: Not responding

Andy Petro "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> My computer using Win XP .PRO frequently stops responding to files or
> seizes up ( stops working ) where I have to restart.
> Any help would be appreciated.

Any time.

--
<snip>

Aardvark 02-08-2009 08:41 PM

Re: Not responding

On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 13:47:49 -0500, Andy Petro wrote:

> frequently stops responding to files

Ah, yes, I totally understand.

<aside>
Anybody know what the **** he's going on about???
</aside>

Aardvark 02-08-2009 08:48 PM

Re: Not responding

On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 11:16:41 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Feb 2009 13:47:49 -0500, "Andy Petro"
> <andy.petro@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>>My computer using Win XP .PRO frequently stops responding to files or
>>seizes up ( stops working ) where I have to restart. Any help would be
>>appreciated.

> It's like Deja Vu all over again.

newshosting.com!83.128.0.12.MISMATCH!news-out2.kabelfoon.nl!
newsfeed.kabelfoon.nl!xindi.nntp.kabelfoon.nl!news .k-dsl.de!
news.motzarella.org!motzarella.org!news.motzarella .org!not-for-mail
> From: "Andy Petro" <andy.petro@sympatico.ca> Newsgroups:
> 24hoursupport.helpdesk
> Subject: Slow computer
> Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 13:37:06 -0500 Organization: A noiseless patient
> Spider Lines: 9

+fooWdC7cjeaCDPguUXjUSVV6laIx5i36YZGbN9HuUtdcxG5pU IgZudDIsukhUV/
QsAX15wvK4oa9HzxUfjZaAbjGxQXSNDkzOg=

> Why is my computer so slow. It takes up to 5 minutes to load Internet
> Explorer or Outlook express or to just start up the computer.
>
> I checked for viruses , etc; used Disk Cleanup and Disk defragmenter.
>
> Running Win XP. PRO . Have 576 megabytes of memory & 2.40 gig Intel
> Celeron
> processor.

I just had an image of Andy buying his first computer and connecting it
to the internet:

Two weeks later he realises that it isn't performing as it should. He
remembers that someone once told him about thing called 'urenet or
something' so he searches as best he can to find 'upenet'.

He posts an 'email' to 'utenet' and waits for a reply. Nobody ever
answers him, the bastards, so he gives away his old computer to some
local schoolkid and buys another.

He connects it to the internet........

Evan Platt 02-08-2009 09:50 PM

Re: Not responding

On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 20:41:39 GMT, Aardvark <aardvark@youllnever.know>
wrote:

>Ah, yes, I totally understand.
>
><aside>
>Anybody know what the **** he's going on about???
></aside>

Not a clue. Read some of his previous posts... Classic. :)