Velocity Reviews

-   -   N Wireless issues (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t668335-n-wireless-issues.html)

J 02-02-2009 01:47 AM

N Wireless issues

Hello,
I just 'upgraded' from a Linksys G to a D-Link N (Dir-615).
I'm using WEP 64bit security.
Range and speed seem to have improved a little.
However, I am having trouble consistantly with 'remote' software.
I use Gotomeeting and Logmein regularly (connecting from office to
home)
and am getting alot of drops and slowness.
I can't RDP into my home PC anymore as well.
"Unable to connect to remote computer".
I've opened port 3389 on the D-Link, but I think something may be
blocking.
Any general advice on what I can do to optimize my N wireless router?
TIA

Barb Bowman 02-02-2009 08:55 AM

Re: N Wireless issues

for starters, change security to WPA2 or at least WPA. WEP is not
safe. are you saying that you are trying to RDP in to a wirelessly
connected computer? or is it wired?

D-Link routers have a page for virtual servers or apps where you
specify the external and internal port and the IP of the computer on
your LAN. when you opened the port, did you do that?

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP

J 02-02-2009 04:32 PM

Re: N Wireless issues

On Feb 2, 12:55*am, Barb Bowman <b...@nospam.com> wrote:
> for starters, change security to WPA2 or at least WPA. WEP is not
> safe. are you saying that you are trying to RDP in to a wirelessly
> connected computer? or is it wired?
>
> D-Link routers have a page for virtual servers or apps where you
> specify the external and internal port and the IP of the computer on
> your LAN. when you opened the port, did you do that?
>
> On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 17:47:51 -0800 (PST), J
>
> <japhyrider2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >Hello,
> >I just 'upgraded' from a Linksys G to a D-Link N (Dir-615).
> >I'm using WEP 64bit security.
> >Range and speed seem to have improved a little.
> >However, I am having trouble consistantly with 'remote' software.
> >I use Gotomeeting and Logmein regularly (connecting from office to
> >home)
> >and am getting alot of drops and slowness.
> >I can't RDP into my home PC anymore as well.
> >"Unable to connect to remote computer".
> >I've opened port 3389 on the D-Link, but I think something may be
> >blocking.
> >Any general advice on what I can do to optimize my N wireless router?
> >TIA

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS-MVPhttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspxhttp://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

Thanks for the ideas. Yes, I am trying to RDP into a wirelessly
connected PC. It worked fine under my old Linksys G wireless router.
I originally had WPA2, but switched to WEP just as a test to try and
get over this hurdle.
I have Port Forwarding setup (port 3389) and have tried a Virtual
Server setup.
OK.....now I'm getting somewhere....just while typing this i disabled
QOS and now at least I get prompted for my logon via RDP.
Still a little clunky, but it's working. I have the router set for N
and G compatible. There is one laptop that has a wireless G NIC.
Is it anyone's experience that going to Pure N compatibility on the
router will improve performance?
I ask this question with 'the long haul' in mind because based on the
tests I've done, it doesn't seem to matter.

TIA

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 02-02-2009 05:56 PM

Re: N Wireless issues

Hi
When you change network component the whole system might experience
changes.
As an example the IP scheme of the new Router might use a different IP
numbers while part of the system is still set with the original number.
Use static IP (or DHCP reservation if the Router supports it,
http://www.ezlan.net/faq#2nics ) for the computer to be on RDT to make sure
that the ports are always directed toward its IP.
So the "Trick" is to start one step at the time.
First disable temporarily the Wireless security and establish a local RDT
between two LAN computers.
When it works locally you can switch back the Wireless security and then
configure the system for through the Internet.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

Barb Bowman 02-02-2009 07:07 PM

Re: N Wireless issues

N speeds are going to go up and down (much more "adaptive" than G).

WEP/WPA should have nothing to do with a problem with RDP, and
again, I strongly recommend you go back to WPA2 before you forget.

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 08:32:05 -0800 (PST), J