Velocity Reviews

-   -   Tkinter w.pack()? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t667755-tkinter-w-pack.html)

W. eWatson 01-29-2009 04:12 AM

Tkinter w.pack()?

Where in the world is a description of pack() for Tkinter widgets? Is it
some sort of general method for all widgets? I'm looking in a few docs that
use it without ever saying where it is described. For one,
<http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/label.htm>. In the NM Tech pdf on Tkinter,
it's not found anywhere. I see Universal methods for widgets, but no mention
of pack(). package, packed, but no pack.

While I'm at it, what is w in the result of w = Label(parent, image=photo)?
Just a widget pointer, address?
--
W. eWatson

Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

r 01-29-2009 04:28 AM

Re: Tkinter w.pack()?

On Jan 28, 10:12*pm, "W. eWatson" <notval...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Where in the world is a description of pack() for Tkinter widgets? Is it
> some sort of general method for all widgets? I'm looking in a few docs that
> use it without ever saying where it is described. For one,
> <http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/label.htm>. In the NM Tech pdf on Tkinter,
> it's not found anywhere. I see Universal methods for widgets, but no mention
> of pack(). package, packed, but no pack.

did you try here :)
http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/pack.htm

r 01-29-2009 04:33 AM

Re: Tkinter w.pack()?

To expand on this there exists three geometry mangers [grid, pack,
place]. I personally use pack() the most, grid() almost never, and
place -- well never. But each one has it's strengths and weaknesses.

w.grid()
http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/grid.htm

w.place()
http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/place.htm

Everything you need to know about Tkinter exists here:
http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/

and at the NMT site i showed you before

W. eWatson 01-29-2009 04:55 AM

Re: Tkinter w.pack()?

r wrote:
> On Jan 28, 10:12 pm, "W. eWatson" <notval...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> Where in the world is a description of pack() for Tkinter widgets? Is it
>> some sort of general method for all widgets? I'm looking in a few docs that
>> use it without ever saying where it is described. For one,
>> <http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/label.htm>. In the NM Tech pdf on Tkinter,
>> it's not found anywhere. I see Universal methods for widgets, but no mention
>> of pack(). package, packed, but no pack.

> did you try here :)
> http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/pack.htm

Thanks. I have the site bookmarked, but it's hard to search. I posted a
comment to them that they should have it in pdf form.

W. eWatson 01-29-2009 04:57 AM

Re: Tkinter w.pack()?

r wrote:
> To expand on this there exists three geometry mangers [grid, pack,
> place]. I personally use pack() the most, grid() almost never, and
> place -- well never. But each one has it's strengths and weaknesses.
>
> w.grid()
> http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/grid.htm
>
> w.place()
> http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/place.htm

There seems to be a pattern here. :-)
> Everything you need to know about Tkinter exists here:
> http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/
>
> and at the NMT site i showed you before

The word pack doesn't exist on the NMT pdf. Maybe there's a newer one?

Gabriel Genellina 01-29-2009 05:23 AM

Re: Tkinter w.pack()?

En Thu, 29 Jan 2009 02:57:04 -0200, W. eWatson <notvalid2@sbcglobal.net>
escribió:

> The word pack doesn't exist on the NMT pdf. Maybe there's a newer one?

There is a PDF version of "An Introduction to Tkinter" here:
http://www.pythonware.com/library/

--
Gabriel Genellina

r 01-29-2009 05:31 AM

Re: Tkinter w.pack()?

On Jan 28, 10:57*pm, "W. eWatson" <notval...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> The word pack doesn't exist on the NMT pdf. Maybe there's a newer one?

Only the grid manager is discussed at NMT. I just like how at NMT the
widget attributes are in a table and then a list the widget methods
follows below that -- much better navigation.

I talked again to John at NMT and he assured me very soon he's going
to make all the updates. It would probably help if you sent him a nice
message of encouragement like -- 'Can you please update the
documentation, i really like the sites layout?' -- but please don't
forget to thank him for all his contributions to the Python community.

I am currently crusading to have all the old Python tuts and
documentation updated(among other crusades). This was my second win
and i hope that more will follow. The python docs out there need a
dusting off and spit shining.

Steve Holden 01-29-2009 12:27 PM

Re: Tkinter w.pack()?

W. eWatson wrote:
> r wrote:
>> On Jan 28, 10:12 pm, "W. eWatson" <notval...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>> Where in the world is a description of pack() for Tkinter widgets? Is it
>>> some sort of general method for all widgets? I'm looking in a few
>>> docs that
>>> use it without ever saying where it is described. For one,
>>> <http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/label.htm>. In the NM Tech pdf on
>>> Tkinter,
>>> it's not found anywhere. I see Universal methods for widgets, but no
>>> mention
>>> of pack(). package, packed, but no pack.

>> did you try here :)
>> http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/pack.htm

> Thanks. I have the site bookmarked, but it's hard to search. I posted a
> comment to them that they should have it in pdf form.

http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=...interbook+pack

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119

W. eWatson 01-29-2009 04:55 PM

Re: Tkinter w.pack()?

Gabriel Genellina wrote:
> En Thu, 29 Jan 2009 02:57:04 -0200, W. eWatson <notvalid2@sbcglobal.net>
> escribió:
>
>> The word pack doesn't exist on the NMT pdf. Maybe there's a newer one?

> There is a PDF version of "An Introduction to Tkinter" here:
> http://www.pythonware.com/library/

Thanks. I have it but it's an odd one to search on "pack(". There may be
over 100 reference to pack(. It's probably explained there somewhere, but
how many times do I want to press the search key? I have it printed out too.
I guess I need to eyeball it. It's probably faster. Maybe find the section
(geometry?) where it and others like it are found. There is an index, but
it's a pitiful one page.

Found in Chapter 34.

W. eWatson 01-29-2009 04:59 PM

Re: Tkinter w.pack()?

r wrote:
> On Jan 28, 10:57 pm, "W. eWatson" <notval...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> The word pack doesn't exist on the NMT pdf. Maybe there's a newer one?

> Only the grid manager is discussed at NMT. I just like how at NMT the
> widget attributes are in a table and then a list the widget methods
> follows below that -- much better navigation.
>
> I talked again to John at NMT and he assured me very soon he's going
> to make all the updates. It would probably help if you sent him a nice
> message of encouragement like -- 'Can you please update the
> documentation, i really like the sites layout?' -- but please don't
> forget to thank him for all his contributions to the Python community.
>
> I am currently crusading to have all the old Python tuts and
> documentation updated(among other crusades). This was my second win
> and i hope that more will follow. The python docs out there need a
> dusting off and spit shining.

I fully agree with your assessment of their state.

I might not want him to update the NMT. :-) Why would that be. I just had it
printed. Another $8! I'm kidding, of course.

Not only is it a good layout, I think it's the best layout out there, IMHO.
I'll contact him. I think one of his other pdf files needs updating too.
Possibly the one for PIL.