Velocity Reviews

-   -   Balky DVD drive - strange fix for the problem (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t667450-balky-dvd-drive-strange-fix-for-the-problem.html)

RobF 01-27-2009 05:17 PM

Balky DVD drive - strange fix for the problem

A dvd disk runs at slower than normal speed. Advance or rewind at various
higher speeds does not work. The strange fix is moving the drive to a backup
computer, same software. It runs perfectly. Reinstall in main computer,
problem disappears, runs perfectly. Memorex Multi-format on an XP Home box.
Manufacturer tech support useless. This prob happened twice in last 2 or 3
months, after running flawlessly for a year and a half. The multi purpose
drive functions well as CD reader and RW while prob is active, i.e. not yet
"fixed". Baffling. Please advise, TIA,
--
RobF
Address anti-spammed

Jeff 01-31-2009 07:10 PM

Re: Balky DVD drive - strange fix for the problem

"RobF" <rfox24x@xcox.net> wrote in

> A dvd disk runs at slower than normal speed. Advance or rewind at
> various higher speeds does not work. The strange fix is moving the
> drive to a backup computer, same software. It runs perfectly.
> Reinstall in main computer, problem disappears, runs perfectly.
> Memorex Multi-format on an XP Home box. Manufacturer tech support
> useless. This prob happened twice in last 2 or 3 months, after running
> flawlessly for a year and a half. The multi purpose drive functions
> well as CD reader and RW while prob is active, i.e. not yet "fixed".
> Baffling. Please advise, TIA,

Just a guess, perhaps somehow the DMA for that drive got turned off and the
"found new hardware" routine when reinstalling it turned the DMA back on.

Archimedes' Lever 01-31-2009 07:17 PM

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 19:10:06 GMT, Jeff <j@donotspam.me> wrote:

>"RobF" <rfox24x@xcox.net> wrote in
>
>> A dvd disk runs at slower than normal speed. Advance or rewind at
>> various higher speeds does not work. The strange fix is moving the
>> drive to a backup computer, same software. It runs perfectly.
>> Reinstall in main computer, problem disappears, runs perfectly.
>> Memorex Multi-format on an XP Home box. Manufacturer tech support
>> useless. This prob happened twice in last 2 or 3 months, after running
>> flawlessly for a year and a half. The multi purpose drive functions
>> well as CD reader and RW while prob is active, i.e. not yet "fixed".
>> Baffling. Please advise, TIA,

>Just a guess, perhaps somehow the DMA for that drive got turned off and the
>"found new hardware" routine when reinstalling it turned the DMA back on.

Another thing. If the operating systems on the two different machines
are also different, then the read error routines may also differ. That
could result in excessive read re-tries on that 'slow reading' machine.

I have had success flipping an older drive over. The head positioner
can sag, and the calibration can get offset. I know it is awkward, but
it can be used to prove the case.

A new BD HD DVD drive can be had for $100. That will play ALL current
formats, and record to DVD and CD with the added benefit of playing DVD
upscaled, and BluRay and HD DVDs as well. If you have a high res
monitor, the upgrade is worth it.