Velocity Reviews

-   -   Why cant they close down all P2P Sites..? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t667046-why-cant-they-close-down-all-p2p-sites.html)

Peter M 01-24-2009 10:43 PM

Why cant they close down all P2P Sites..?

They closed down Napster buy why not the others,
or is it that can make more money by suing people..?

Carnations 01-24-2009 11:25 PM

Re: Why cant they close down all P2P Sites..?

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 11:43:55 +1300, Peter M wrote:

> They closed down Napster buy why not the others, or is it that can make
> more money by suing people..?

Because Napster was indeed a site.

Bit Torrent is a protocol that is not dependent on a centralised site.

It is the perfect decentralised file transfer protocol.

--
Dilger: "Microsoft is first and foremost a marketing
company that flogs third rate technology products."

oneofus 01-25-2009 04:32 AM

Carnations wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 11:43:55 +1300, Peter M wrote:
>
>> They closed down Napster buy why not the others, or is it that can make
>> more money by suing people..?

> Because Napster was indeed a site.
>
> Bit Torrent is a protocol that is not dependent on a centralised site.
>
> It is the perfect decentralised file transfer protocol.

Not quite

Carnations 01-25-2009 04:48 AM

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 17:32:14 +1300, oneofus wrote:

>> Bit Torrent is a protocol that is not dependent on a centralised site.
>>
>> It is the perfect decentralised file transfer protocol.

> Not quite.

Would you care to elaborate further on that?

Stephen Worthington 01-25-2009 05:31 AM

Re: Why cant they close down all P2P Sites..?

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 04:48:22 +0000 (UTC), Carnations
<Beautiful@Carnations.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 17:32:14 +1300, oneofus wrote:
>
>>> Bit Torrent is a protocol that is not dependent on a centralised site.
>>>
>>> It is the perfect decentralised file transfer protocol.

>> Not quite.

You do need some way to get in touch in the first place with the other
BitTorrent clients that have the file. That is normally done via a
central tracker. But anyone can run a tracker if they want to, and
have enough bandwidth.

Peter M 01-25-2009 05:41 AM

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 13:07:12 +1300, Bobs <sandyvagina@thebeach.com> wrote:

>Peter M wrote:
>>
>> They closed down Napster buy why not the others,
>> or is it that can make more money by suing people..?
>>

>You do realise what Peer to Peer means, Peter?
>
>As for places like The Pirate Bay etc, they are hosted outside the US
>and therefore the major American agencies have no authority to
>prosecute. I believe they even post all the threatening legal letters
>from the FBI, RIAA etc on their website and gloat about it.

What about all these other sites like Bearshare, Limewire, Shareaza, E-Donkey
( kazaa ) and some othere that I have heard off that I can't remember the
names off..

Gordon 01-25-2009 06:17 AM

On 2009-01-24, Peter M <peterrm@yahoo.com> wrote:

> They closed down Napster buy why not the others,
> or is it that can make more money by suing people..?

Troll or ignorant?

P2P is a method of file transfer. It like all technology, is netural. How it
is used is the question.

Napster, was the grandfather/mother of P2P. Napster needs to be considered
as part of modern history.

I use P2P to transfer a great deal of copyrighted material. Open Source
Software, Creative Commons, legal torrents.

This posting, being my own work is copyrighted, as is all postings on
Usenet.

Gordon 01-25-2009 06:21 AM

On 2009-01-25, Bobs <sandyvagina@thebeach.com> wrote:
> Peter M wrote:
>>
>> They closed down Napster buy why not the others,
>> or is it that can make more money by suing people..?
>>

> You do realise what Peer to Peer means, Peter?
>
> As for places like The Pirate Bay etc, they are hosted outside the US
> and therefore the major American agencies have no authority to
> prosecute. I believe they even post all the threatening legal letters
> from the FBI, RIAA etc on their website and gloat about it.

And one asks, are not you ****ed off that you can be them Bobs?

Yes, Pirate Bay did have an attack upon their site, fought it off within
24 hours and carried.

Blessed in the radical, for without her there would be no progress. To quote
someone.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 01-25-2009 07:38 AM

In message <fesnn4hnbfcsl4oqbjo2m39f0h8n63enbq@4ax.com>, Peter M wrote:

> What about all these other sites like Bearshare, Limewire, Shareaza,
> E-Donkey
> ( kazaa ) and some othere that I have heard off that I can't remember the
> names off..

What about them?

Richard 01-25-2009 07:42 AM

Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 04:48:22 +0000 (UTC), Carnations
> <Beautiful@Carnations.com> wrote:

>>> Not quite.

> You do need some way to get in touch in the first place with the other
> BitTorrent clients that have the file. That is normally done via a
> central tracker. But anyone can run a tracker if they want to, and
> have enough bandwidth.

DHT solved that, magnet links mean no need for a place that stores the
actual torrent files either.