Velocity Reviews

-   -   Opinions: Can I use my old Nikon lenses on a new Nikon digitalcamera? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t666761-opinions-can-i-use-my-old-nikon-lenses-on-a-new-nikon-digitalcamera.html)

Twibil 01-23-2009 02:34 AM

Opinions: Can I use my old Nikon lenses on a new Nikon digitalcamera?

I'm about to retire my old Nikon film cameras and go digital for all
the obvious reasons, but I can't seem to get a straight answer to the
question of whether or not I can use my collection of old Nikon SLR
lenses on one of the new digitals.

I *assume* that they won't integrate with the newer automated onboard
systems, and that doesn't bother me as I've always preferred selecting
my settings manually anyway, but I've also been told that the older
lenses will screw up the color balance if used on a digital camera and
that said imbalance can't be corrected for, even with computer
editing.

Problem is that a couple of old film camera vets such as myself have
told me that they *do* use their old lenses on their new digital
cameras and that they're getting good results that way, but the guys
I've spoken to at camera shops tell me the exact opposite: "It won't
work".

I strongly suspect they're just angling to sell me an entire new
collection of lenses, but I don't *know*.

What say the assembled multitude? Nikon users in particular?

Thanx, ~Pete

nospam 01-23-2009 03:43 AM

Re: Opinions: Can I use my old Nikon lenses on a new Nikon digital camera?

In article
<0c6d5220-d2f0-4401-a14b-0552a937c04c@z28g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
Twibil <nowayjose6@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm about to retire my old Nikon film cameras and go digital for all
> the obvious reasons, but I can't seem to get a straight answer to the
> question of whether or not I can use my collection of old Nikon SLR
> lenses on one of the new digitals.
>
> I *assume* that they won't integrate with the newer automated onboard
> systems, and that doesn't bother me as I've always preferred selecting
> my settings manually anyway, but I've also been told that the older
> lenses will screw up the color balance if used on a digital camera and
> that said imbalance can't be corrected for, even with computer
> editing.

which lenses?

manual focus lenses ai lenses will remain manual focus (obviously) and
you'll need to get a d200 or better for metering to work.

autofocus lenses will autofocus and meter on all but the d40/d60
series, where they will be manual focus.

if they're *very* old (non-ai) then they need to be modified before
mounting them on any recent nikon camera except for a d40/d60 which
does not need them to be modified.

there are a couple of exceptions such as the 6mm fisheye that required
mirror lockup just to mount the lens.

> Problem is that a couple of old film camera vets such as myself have
> told me that they *do* use their old lenses on their new digital
> cameras and that they're getting good results that way, but the guys
> I've spoken to at camera shops tell me the exact opposite: "It won't
> work".

they want you to buy new lenses. find a new camera shop, one which
gives you honest advice.

> I strongly suspect they're just angling to sell me an entire new
> collection of lenses, but I don't *know*.

that's exactly correct.

Jürgen Exner 01-23-2009 04:29 AM

Re: Opinions: Can I use my old Nikon lenses on a new Nikon digital camera?

Twibil <nowayjose6@gmail.com> wrote:
>I'm about to retire my old Nikon film cameras and go digital for all
>the obvious reasons, but I can't seem to get a straight answer to the
>question of whether or not I can use my collection of old Nikon SLR
>lenses on one of the new digitals.

The basic rule is very simple: if the lens is at least AI-P (introduced
end of the 80s) then you can mount it and all features of the lens will
work with any current dSLR with one exception: autofocus on a
D40/D40x/D60 requires an AF-S lens.

If your lenses are older and are AI (introduced end of the 70s) but not
AI-P then they will mount on any dSLR, including the D40/40x/60, but
metering will work only on the higher end models. Your best bet in that
case is to add the chip and convert the AI lens into an AI-P lens.

If your lenses are yet older and are not even AI, then they won't mount
on dSLRs without hardware modifications and trying to mount them can
cause damage to lens or camera. Exception being again D40/40x/60, which
can mount even the very first Nikon F-mount lens.

For a detailed compatibility matrix please see
http://bythom.com/lensacronyms.htm

>I *assume* that they won't integrate with the newer automated onboard
>systems, and that doesn't bother me as I've always preferred selecting
>my settings manually anyway,

True for pre-AI-P, where it depends on lens and camera.

>but I've also been told that the older
>lenses will screw up the color balance if used on a digital camera and
>that said imbalance can't be corrected for, even with computer
>editing.

Urban myth. Whoever told you that doesn't know what he is talking about.
You can use any "film" lens on a digital camera without problems, there
is no difference. Some people claim that new lenses are "optimized" for
digital sensors. This may or may not be true, but you can use a "film"
lens without any drawbacks just fine on a digital camera.

>Problem is that a couple of old film camera vets such as myself have
>told me that they *do* use their old lenses on their new digital
>cameras and that they're getting good results that way, but the guys

And that's correct.

>I've spoken to at camera shops tell me the exact opposite: "It won't
>work".

'cuse my language, but that's bullshit.

>I strongly suspect they're just angling to sell me an entire new
>collection of lenses, but I don't *know*.

jue

Paul Furman 01-23-2009 04:49 AM

Re: |GG| Opinions: Can I use my old Nikon lenses on a new Nikon digitalcamera?

Twibil wrote:
> I'm about to retire my old Nikon film cameras and go digital for all
> the obvious reasons, but I can't seem to get a straight answer to the
> question of whether or not I can use my collection of old Nikon SLR
> lenses on one of the new digitals.

There isn't a simple answer, list your lenses and we can categorize them
in a meaningful way.

If the lens won't meter on the camera, that means you can't even look at
the meter & adjust, you'll just have to guess. That's doable with trial
& error looking at the LCD on back but pretty crummy. Generally that
means you'll want a D200 or above to meter with old manual focus lenses.
If you have AF lenses, those will meter on any new camera but not AF on
less than a D80, D70, D50.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Twibil 01-23-2009 08:03 AM

On Jan 22, 7:43*pm, nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> if they're *very* old (non-ai) then they need to be modified before
> mounting them on any recent nikon camera except for a d40/d60 which
> does not need them to be modified.

Bingo. *That's* the information I needed.

Much grass.

> they want you to buy new lenses. *find a new camera shop, one which
> gives you honest advice.

So far I've heard variations on the same song and dance at three
different places. (It's a plot, I tell you!)

Thanx, ~Pete

Twibil 01-23-2009 08:05 AM

On Jan 22, 8:29*pm, Jürgen Exner <jurge...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> For a detailed compatibility matrix please seehttp://bythom.com/lensacronyms.htm

Told me everything I needed to know in detail.

Thanx, ~Pete

Twibil 01-23-2009 08:11 AM

On Jan 22, 8:49*pm, Paul Furman <pa...@-edgehill.net> wrote:

> If the lens won't meter on the camera, that means you can't even look at
> the meter & adjust, you'll just have to guess.

Well, no, that's why they invented primitive stone hand-held light
meters many eons ago. };-P

My old Gossen Luna Pro still works just fine, and will even do a
couple of things that in-camera light meters won't.

Thanx, ~Pete

Chris Malcolm 01-23-2009 10:49 AM

Re: Opinions: Can I use my old Nikon lenses on a new Nikon digital camera?

Twibil <nowayjose6@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 22, 7:43?pm, nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>> if they're *very* old (non-ai) then they need to be modified before
>> mounting them on any recent nikon camera except for a d40/d60 which
>> does not need them to be modified.

> Bingo. *That's* the information I needed.

> Much grass.

>> they want you to buy new lenses. ?find a new camera shop, one which
>> gives you honest advice.

> So far I've heard variations on the same song and dance at three
> different places. (It's a plot, I tell you!)

But if they paid their assistants enough to be knowledgeable
photographic experts who would buy anything from them at the prices
they'd have to charge? The public has clearly told shops via the
market that they want to be served by the cheapest idiots employable.

--
Chris Malcolm

Chris H 01-23-2009 05:15 PM

Re: Opinions: Can I use my old Nikon lenses on a new Nikon digital camera?

In message <230120091042388234%not@aol.com>, Scott Schuckert
<not@aol.com> writes
>As a former camera store operator, I'll come in with some slight
>defense of the salesmen: they may not necessarily be trying to sell
>lenses (though that's certainly a possibility)
>
>If a question of compatibility is at all complex, or involves the
>possibility of equipment damage, I'd definitely have instructed my
>staff to be VERY stingy with "yes, that will work."
>
>Just because the customer says he has an AI 105mm Nikkor, doesn't mean
>it IS AI; just because he says he has a D60 doesn't mean it's not a
>D70.

Shirley not? Users getting it wrong? How can that be when we all know
that all camera shop sales men are thick as pig ****, are only there
because there were no more jobs at Mac-Donalds or are failed
photographers who want to get their own back on the rest of us.

I mean we know all camera users are intelligent, pleasant and polite
people who have well researched the subject, know their equipment and
are not trying to prove how clever they are because it is all they have
in life.

>So unless he actually brought in the two pieces in question ("Will
>these work together?") I'd rather give out misinformation than face
>accusations that my advice caused damage.

You will only get sued and it will add to the "fact" that camera shops
are staffed by idiots.

So do you want loose or loose and get sued? As a business you know
which one is cheaper.

David Ruether 01-23-2009 05:17 PM

"Twibil" <nowayjose6@gmail.com> wrote in message news:ab1deede-3699-4f13-a446-7279b9419ebd@t39g2000prh.googlegroups.com...
On Jan 22, 8:49 pm, Paul Furman <pa...@-edgehill.net> wrote:

> If the lens won't meter on the camera, that means you can't even look at
> the meter & adjust, you'll just have to guess.

Well, no, that's why they invented primitive stone hand-held light
meters many eons ago. };-P

My old Gossen Luna Pro still works just fine, and will even do a
couple of things that in-camera light meters won't.

--My 1939 Weston also works well in this digital age, and it
--is easy with it to introduce exposure compensations while
--taking the readings, an often useful advantage with snow,
--backlight, etc.
--DR