Velocity Reviews

-   -   Network Places Issue_Need Assistance (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t666605-network-places-issue_need-assistance.html)

Chipj2nd 01-22-2009 02:23 AM

Network Places Issue_Need Assistance

Software
Windows XP

Hardware
1 desktop (Wired)
1 laptop (Wireless)
1 router (Linksys)
1 broadband modem

Setup
Both the desktop and the laptop run through the router to the broadband
modem. No connectivity issues.

Problem
When I am in the “My Network Places” (Window) on the desktop, it shows the
desktop shared folders under “Local Network” (subtitle) but the Laptop shared
folders are under “The Internet” (subtitle).

1. Are my folders on the laptop being exposed to the internet?
2. If this is not being shown correctly how can I change the laptop folders
to show up under local network?
I have run the network wizard on both machines.

Thank you in advance...

pickwth@googlemail.com 01-22-2009 08:04 AM

Re: Network Places Issue_Need Assistance

On Jan 22, 2:23*am, Chipj2nd <Chipj...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Software
> Windows XP
>
> Hardware
> 1 desktop (Wired)
> 1 laptop (Wireless)
> 1 router (Linksys)
> 1 broadband modem
>
> Setup
> Both the desktop and the laptop run through the router to the broadband
> modem. No connectivity issues.
>
> Problem
> * * * * When I am in the My Network Places (Window) on the desktop, it shows the
> desktop shared folders under Local Network (subtitle) but the Laptop shared
> folders are under The Internet (subtitle).
>
> 1. * * *Are my folders on the laptop being exposed to the internet?
> 2. * * *If this is not being shown correctly how can I change the laptop folders
> to show up under local network?
> I have run the network wizard on both machines.
>
> Thank you in advance...

Hi,

Don't panic, your files are NOT on the internet.
The reason Windows shows them like that is because your laptop is on
the wireless network, and your desktop is on a wired connection, so in
order to talk to the laptop the desktop traffic has to go through the
router - even though
they may appear be on the same subnet - so Windows counts that as not
the local network.

Alister

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 01-22-2009 10:16 PM

Re: Network Places Issue_Need Assistance

Hi
As said above as long as you are behind the Router and the Router is
configured correctly the Router's NAT Firewall provides inbound protection.
If the name bothers you log to the Router and change the Router's assigned
Network name.
As for additional protection, maybe this can Help,
http://www.ezlan.net/security.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)