Velocity Reviews

-   -   HREF for executable file with parameter (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t666442-href-for-executable-file-with-parameter.html)

Martin Wulfe 01-20-2009 11:33 PM

HREF for executable file with parameter

I am writing an application that generates HTML as the body of an
email. In it, I want to include a link to an executable, but I need
to run the executable with a parameter, as you would from the command
line:

c:\>MyApp.exe parm1

The problem is I cannot figure out how to include the parameter in the
HREF. When I try

<A HREF="C:\MyApp.exe parm1">

or

<A HREF="C:\MyApp.exe%20parm1>

I get an error. Any help out there?

TIA,
Martin

Adrienne Boswell 01-21-2009 05:36 AM

Re: HREF for executable file with parameter

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Martin Wulfe <mwulfe@yahoo.com>
writing in news:bhncn452dekcn9rp3rjmnnarie3qecf97j@4ax.com:

> I am writing an application that generates HTML as the body of an
> email. In it, I want to include a link to an executable, but I need
> to run the executable with a parameter, as you would from the command
> line:
>
> c:\>MyApp.exe parm1
>
> The problem is I cannot figure out how to include the parameter in the
> HREF. When I try
>
><A HREF="C:\MyApp.exe parm1">
>
> or
>
><A HREF="C:\MyApp.exe%20parm1>
>
> I get an error. Any help out there?
>
> TIA,
> Martin

It's really a security issue - imagine c:\delete *.*

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

Adrian 01-21-2009 05:46 AM

"Martin Wulfe" <mwulfe@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am writing an application that generates HTML as the body of an
> email. In it, I want to include a link to an executable, but I need
> to run the executable with a parameter, as you would from the command
> line:
>
> c:\>MyApp.exe parm1
>
> The problem is I cannot figure out how to include the parameter in the
> HREF. When I try
>
> <A HREF="C:\MyApp.exe parm1">
>
> or
>
> <A HREF="C:\MyApp.exe%20parm1>
>
> I get an error. Any help out there?
>
> TIA,
> Martin

What this sounds to me like is, that you want to create an

application that handles emails, and that in the email you

want to embed the activation of a program. That sounds

malwarish to me, or have I misunderstood your intensions?

Adrian.

Adrian 01-21-2009 06:56 AM

"Adrienne Boswell" <arbpen@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9B99DCB287EA9arbpenyahoocom@207.115.17.102 ...
> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Martin Wulfe <mwulfe@yahoo.com>
> writing in news:bhncn452dekcn9rp3rjmnnarie3qecf97j@4ax.com:
>
>> I am writing an application that generates HTML as the body of an
>> email. In it, I want to include a link to an executable, but I need
>> to run the executable with a parameter, as you would from the command
>> line:
>>
>> c:\>MyApp.exe parm1
>>
>> The problem is I cannot figure out how to include the parameter in the
>> HREF. When I try
>>
>><A HREF="C:\MyApp.exe parm1">
>>
>> or
>>
>><A HREF="C:\MyApp.exe%20parm1>
>>
>> I get an error. Any help out there?
>>
>> TIA,
>> Martin
>>

> It's really a security issue - imagine c:\delete *.*
>
> --
> Adrienne Boswell at Home
> Arbpen Web Site Design Services
> http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

Looking at your beautiful work, this came up:

XML Parsing Error: junk after document element
Location: http://www.visionforglendale.com/
Line Number 166, Column 1:<script type="text/javascript"
src="http://analytics.hosting24.com/count.php"></script>
^
Adrian

Adrienne Boswell 01-21-2009 08:16 AM

Re: HREF for executable file with parameter

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Adrian" <xx@xx.xx> writing in

>> http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
>> Please respond to the group so others can share

> Looking at your beautiful work, this came up:
>
> XML Parsing Error: junk after document element
> Location: http://www.visionforglendale.com/
> Line Number 166, Column 1:<script type="text/javascript"
> src="http://analytics.hosting24.com/count.php"></script>
> ^
> Adrian

Thank you, Adrian. I always forget to turn that stupid thing off!
I'll have to do it tomorrow, though, the servers are down for
maintenance.

Adrienne Boswell 01-21-2009 08:28 AM

Re: HREF for executable file with parameter

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Adrian" <xx@xx.xx> writing in

> XML Parsing Error: junk after document element
> Location: http://www.visionforglendale.com/
> Line Number 166, Column 1:<script type="text/javascript"
> src="http://analytics.hosting24.com/count.php"></script>
> ^
> Adrian

Fixed. Thank you again.

Martin Wulfe 01-21-2009 12:18 PM

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 06:46:43 +0100, "Adrian" <xx@xx.xx> wrote:

>"Martin Wulfe" <mwulfe@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:bhncn452dekcn9rp3rjmnnarie3qecf97j@4ax.com.. .
>>I am writing an application that generates HTML as the body of an
>> email. In it, I want to include a link to an executable, but I need
>> to run the executable with a parameter, as you would from the command
>> line:
>>
>> c:\>MyApp.exe parm1
>>
>> The problem is I cannot figure out how to include the parameter in the
>> HREF. When I try
>>
>> <A HREF="C:\MyApp.exe parm1">
>>
>> or
>>
>> <A HREF="C:\MyApp.exe%20parm1>
>>
>> I get an error. Any help out there?
>>
>> TIA,
>> Martin

>What this sounds to me like is, that you want to create an
>
>application that handles emails, and that in the email you
>
>want to embed the activation of a program. That sounds
>
>malwarish to me, or have I misunderstood your intensions?
>
>Adrian.

No, it's not malware. It's an internal application that will be used
by only about 10-15 people, to keep track of development of an
internal software package. The parameter attacheed to the end of the
exe name will be the record ID in a database that will be opened when
the recipient clicks on the link.

Adrian 01-21-2009 12:58 PM

> On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 06:46:43 +0100, "Adrian" <xx@xx.xx> wrote:
>

>>"Martin Wulfe" <mwulfe@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>news:bhncn452dekcn9rp3rjmnnarie3qecf97j@4ax.com. ..
>>>I am writing an application that generates HTML as the body of an
>>> email. In it, I want to include a link to an executable, but I need
>>> to run the executable with a parameter, as you would from the command
>>> line:
>>>
>>> c:\>MyApp.exe parm1
>>>
>>> The problem is I cannot figure out how to include the parameter in the
>>> HREF. When I try
>>>
>>> <A HREF="C:\MyApp.exe parm1">
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> <A HREF="C:\MyApp.exe%20parm1>
>>>
>>> I get an error. Any help out there?
>>>
>>> TIA,
>>> Martin

>>*********************************************
>>What this sounds to me like is, that you want to create an
>>
>>application that handles emails, and that in the email you
>>
>>want to embed the activation of a program. That sounds
>>
>>malwarish to me, or have I misunderstood your intensions?
>>
>>Adrian.
>>

> No, it's not malware. It's an internal application that will be used
> by only about 10-15 people, to keep track of development of an
> internal software package. The parameter attacheed to the end of the
> exe name will be the record ID in a database that will be opened when
> the recipient clicks on the link.

Can't you have a loop in which the status of a shared file
is perpetually checked, which the user elswhere in the
network can modify? (There could be a file each.)
The changed status could activate whatever you want
on, or from the central box.

Adrian

Martin Wulfe 01-21-2009 01:13 PM

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 13:58:59 +0100, "Adrian" <xx@xx.xx> wrote:

>"Martin Wulfe" <mwulfe@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:ff4en4prf97h1i1t45qsiqj88qpshcrmak@4ax.com.. .
>> On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 06:46:43 +0100, "Adrian" <xx@xx.xx> wrote:
>>

>>>"Martin Wulfe" <mwulfe@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>news:bhncn452dekcn9rp3rjmnnarie3qecf97j@4ax.com ...

>>>*********************************************
>>>What this sounds to me like is, that you want to create an
>>>
>>>application that handles emails, and that in the email you
>>>
>>>want to embed the activation of a program. That sounds
>>>
>>>malwarish to me, or have I misunderstood your intensions?
>>>
>>>Adrian.
>>>

>> No, it's not malware. It's an internal application that will be used
>> by only about 10-15 people, to keep track of development of an
>> internal software package. The parameter attacheed to the end of the
>> exe name will be the record ID in a database that will be opened when
>> the recipient clicks on the link.

>Can't you have a loop in which the status of a shared file
>is perpetually checked, which the user elswhere in the
>network can modify? (There could be a file each.)
>The changed status could activate whatever you want
>on, or from the central box.
>
>Adrian

Actually, the solution I'm thinking of is similar to that. The
application (which can sit in any of 10 - 15 desktops) will write a
script file named, for example domyapp123.vbs, which will sit on the
LAN, and will start the app with 123 as its argument. The email the
app sends would have an HREF pointing to that file. Not very
elligent, but it should work. The approach of adding an argument in
the HTML is a whole lot cleaner, ifI can get it to work.

Martin

Adrian 01-21-2009 02:30 PM

> On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 13:58:59 +0100, "Adrian" <xx@xx.xx> wrote:
>

>>"Martin Wulfe" <mwulfe@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>news:ff4en4prf97h1i1t45qsiqj88qpshcrmak@4ax.com. ..

>>> No, it's not malware. It's an internal application that will be used
>>> by only about 10-15 people, to keep track of development of an
>>> internal software package. The parameter attacheed to the end of the
>>> exe name will be the record ID in a database that will be opened when
>>> the recipient clicks on the link.

>>*********************************************
>>Can't you have a loop in which the status of a shared file
>>is perpetually checked, which the user elswhere in the
>>network can modify? (There could be a file each.)
>>The changed status could activate whatever you want
>>on, or from the central box.
>>
>>Adrian
>>

> Actually, the solution I'm thinking of is similar to that. The
> application (which can sit in any of 10 - 15 desktops) will write a
> script file named, for example domyapp123.vbs, which will sit on the
> LAN, and will start the app with 123 as its argument. The email the
> app sends would have an HREF pointing to that file. Not very
> elligent, but it should work. The approach of adding an argument in
> the HTML is a whole lot cleaner, ifI can get it to work.
>
> Martin

Elegance can give a deveoper nightmares :)
As long as it works bug free why worry, because
by the looks of it, it is a temporary job anyway.

Adrian