Velocity Reviews

-   -   teranews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t665558-teranews.html)

Andy Petro 01-15-2009 02:02 AM

teranews

Anyone succeed in making a connection to free teranews.

tom 01-15-2009 03:02 AM

Re: teranews

"Andy Petro" <andy.petro@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Anyone succeed in making a connection to free teranews.

After being charged $3.95 for a "free" account a couple months ago I was
able to DL articles but was never able to post. Tech support never responded
to any of my inquires.

Mike Easter 01-15-2009 03:21 AM

Re: teranews

Andy Petro wrote:
> Anyone succeed in making a connection to free teranews.

Yes.

--
Mike Easter

elaich 01-15-2009 05:01 AM

Re: teranews

"Andy Petro" <andy.petro@sympatico.ca> wrote in news:gkm5g7$1pr$1
@news.motzarella.org:

> Anyone succeed in making a connection to free teranews.

It's very unreliable.

joevan 01-15-2009 04:37 PM

Re: teranews

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 19:21:20 -0800, "Mike Easter" <MikeE@ster.invalid>
wrote:

>Andy Petro wrote:
>> Anyone succeed in making a connection to free teranews.

>Yes.

Won't connect for me.

walter 01-15-2009 05:23 PM

Re: teranews

Mike Easter wrote:
> joevan wrote:

>>> Yes.

>> Won't connect for me.

> You will notice that I posted that message of mine you are replying
> via teranews. I don't normally use it. I consider teranews to be
> poorly admin/ed. Previously it used to carry an advertising trailer
> on every post.
>
> I'm not very interested in troubleshooting whether or not people are
> having problems with free.teranews.com -- but if you are having
> troubles, I would use a tool which doesn't require a newsreader, such
> as IDServe
>
> Initiating server query ...
> Looking up IP address for domain: free.teranews.com
> The IP address for the domain is: 69.16.185.252
> Connecting to the server on remote port: 119
> [Connected] The server greeted our connection with this message:
> 200 (newsfe06.iad Welcome) (newsfe06.iad) (Tornado v1.2.3.534.1)
> Query complete.
>
> Then I would log the newsreader/newsserver transaction. With OE, the
> logging function is turned on in the maintenance tab.
>
> Most of the people who are having trouble didn't change over their
> login from username to username@teranews.com as required/requested by
> the tera news admin.

I don't use Teranews, but was the request made obvious? Like via email or a
login message or something?

Big red flag went up for me when I saw that a service that advertises itself
as being 'free' costs $3.95

Mike Easter 01-15-2009 06:03 PM

Re: teranews

walter wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:

>> Most of the people who are having trouble didn't change over their
>> login from username to username@teranews.com as required/requested by
>> the tera news admin.

> I don't use Teranews, but was the request made obvious? Like via email
> or a login message or something?

I don't want to defend tera about anything -- as a general rule I
recommend that people use other newsservers -- but during the change from
user to user@ requirement, part of the time the website was down and part
of the time it was up and said:

http://teranews.com:7080/blogs/status/ Please make sure you add
@teranews.com to the end of your user name in your news client. The new
servers require this and you will get 502 errors if you don't.

In addition, eventually tera sent out an email informing registered users
of the change.

> Big red flag went up for me when I saw that a service that advertises
> itself as being 'free' costs $3.95

Tera is a commercial newsservice which resells access to highwind servers.
Their cheapest account is the $4 for 10000 days account which provides
access to binaries and text and unlimited posting with a 50 meg/day cap on
downloading. Previously the posting 'tariff' was a teranews advertising
trailer which is currently gone. Without the ad trailer, except for the
admin problems, the $4 deal isn't so bad for someone who doesn't need many
binaries from them.

free.teranews.com DNS 69.16.185.252 no rDNS

OrgName: Highwinds Network Group, Inc.
NetRange: 69.16.128.0 - 69.16.191.255

The newsserver also answers like a highwind newsserver.

walter 01-15-2009 06:17 PM

Re: teranews

Mike Easter wrote:

> walter wrote:
>> Mike Easter wrote:

>>> Most of the people who are having trouble didn't change over their
>>> login from username to username@teranews.com as required/requested
>>> by the tera news admin.

>> I don't use Teranews, but was the request made obvious? Like via
>> email or a login message or something?

> I don't want to defend tera about anything -- as a general rule I
> recommend that people use other newsservers -- but during the change
> from user to user@ requirement, part of the time the website was down
> and part of the time it was up and said:
>
> http://teranews.com:7080/blogs/status/ Please make sure you add
> @teranews.com to the end of your user name in your news client. The
> new servers require this and you will get 502 errors if you don't.
>
> In addition, eventually tera sent out an email informing registered
> users of the change.
>
>> Big red flag went up for me when I saw that a service that advertises
>> itself as being 'free' costs $3.95

> Tera is a commercial newsservice which resells access to highwind
> servers. Their cheapest account is the $4 for 10000 days account
> which provides access to binaries and text and unlimited posting with
> a 50 meg/day cap on downloading. Previously the posting 'tariff' was
> a teranews advertising trailer which is currently gone. Without the
> ad trailer, except for the admin problems, the $4 deal isn't so bad
> for someone who doesn't need many binaries from them.
>
> free.teranews.com DNS 69.16.185.252 no rDNS
>
> OrgName: Highwinds Network Group, Inc.
> NetRange: 69.16.128.0 - 69.16.191.255
>
> The newsserver also answers like a highwind newsserver.
>
> 200 (newsfe06.iad Welcome) (newsfe06.iad) (Tornado v1.2.3.534.1)

Here's my 'problem' taken directly from the web page teranews.com;

"And best of all, it's FREE*!!!"

[No it's not.]

"Yes, we are offering commercial quality Usenet news access absolutely
FREE*."

[No you aren't.]

Then;

"* Due to the overwhelming response to our free account offer and the costs
associated with verifying credit card information we have begun charging a
one time setup fee of $3.95. There are no recurring monthly fees with our
50MB/day package."

[Shift-8s or no Shift-8s. $3.95 is not "free".]

tutsi 01-24-2009 04:09 PM

Re: teranews

Yea i still connect to free tera.

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 21:02:48 -0500, "Andy Petro"

flock 01-24-2009 10:46 PM

Re: teranews

What to name to connect free tera