Velocity Reviews

-   -   Keyboard problem (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t665440-keyboard-problem.html)

Emrys Davies 01-14-2009 12:12 PM

Keyboard problem

My friend's e-mail shows an * in place of the sign and the ' sign.
Can you asist please.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Fergal 01-14-2009 12:13 PM

Re: Keyboard problem

"Emrys Davies" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> My friend's e-mail shows an * in place of the sign and the ' sign.
> Can you asist please.
>
> Regards,
> Emrys Davies.

Set Keyboard to correct location

Sharp Dressed Man 01-14-2009 12:17 PM

Re: Keyboard problem

"Emrys Davies" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> My friend's e-mail shows an * in place of the sign and the ' sign.
> Can you asist please.
>
> Regards,
> Emrys Davies.

Do you think it might increase the chances of you getting any help here just
a little bit if you mentioned what operating system, update status,
language, keyboard make/model your "friend" is having trouble with?

Do ya, hmmmm?

Fergal 01-14-2009 12:28 PM

Re: Keyboard problem

"Sharp Dressed Man" <sdm@zz.net> wrote in message
> "Emrys Davies" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

> Do you think it might increase the chances of you getting any help here
> just a little bit if you mentioned what operating system, update status,
> language, keyboard make/model your "friend" is having trouble with?
>
> Do ya, hmmmm?

Do you have a lot of time on your hands Numbnuts?
Why would you need all that information to answer a "stock" question??
The ****in' mind boggles!

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 01-14-2009 01:56 PM

Re: Keyboard problem

Emrys Davies wrote:

> My friend's e-mail shows an * in place of the sign and the ' sign.
> Can you asist please.

Tell your friend to set his unknown email client to display mail using
the Character Encoding of UTF-8.

In Thunderbird, the setting (in my version) is located at:
Edit > Preferences > Display > Font button > Character Encodings

The ' sign is a standard character, and should display correctly with
any encoding. Currency symbols may not: $

--
-bts

Aardvark 01-14-2009 02:38 PM

Re: Keyboard problem

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 05:47:11 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:

> One
> might even confuse the usage of the pound sign for currency with the
> number sign for pounds of weight.

There's no confusion on this side of the pond. '£' is a pound (currency)
sign and '#' is called a 'hash' sign.

I never knew that colonials used '#' instead of 'lbs.'. In what context
would the sign be used?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty 01-14-2009 02:43 PM

Re: Keyboard problem

Aardvark wrote:

> Mike Easter wrote:
>> One might even confuse the usage of the pound sign for currency with
>> the number sign for pounds of weight.

> There's no confusion on this side of the pond. '' is a pound
> (currency) sign and '#' is called a 'hash' sign.
>
> I never knew that colonials used '#' instead of 'lbs.'. In what
> context would the sign be used?

You might see that at a grocer's. (along with grocers apostrophe's)

APPLE'S 3# $2.98

--
-bts

Aardvark 01-14-2009 02:49 PM

Re: Keyboard problem

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 09:43:51 -0500, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> (along with grocers apostrophe's)

There must be a few grocer's who visit the new's group's.

Aardvark 01-14-2009 05:03 PM

Re: Keyboard problem

****ed if I know.

Aardvark 01-14-2009 05:04 PM

Re: Keyboard problem

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 06:46:01 -1000, wetpixel wrote:

> In article <%Xmbl.286787$LM6.3428@newsfe03.ams2>, Aardvark
> <aardvark@youllnever.know> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 09:43:51 -0500, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>>
>> > (along with grocers apostrophe's)

>> There must be a few grocer's who visit the new's group's.

> Well, that was intended as an example. It is also used in construction,
> accounting, invoices, shipping, and more.

WHOOOOOOSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!