Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: windows won't shut down (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t665230-re-windows-wont-shut-down.html)

smackedass 02-25-2008 12:37 PM

Re: windows won't shut down

> Does anyone have a good way to trace down what process might be keeping
> windows from shutting down? ...etc...

Kevin,

My guess is that you are new to this. Please be forewarned, there are many
people, already warmed up to this forum, who will goof on you a bit. Caveat
emptor.

My analysis, based upon your rather scant (what type of computer? which
operating system? how much RAM? were there any recent changes, etc., etc.)
introduction, is, that it could be anything.

In the best-case-scenario, it could be a matter of wiping out some spyware.
In the worst-case-scenario, you're probably off getting a new computer,
rather than fixing this one.

Is your data (documents, spreadsheets, tax info, music, pictures, etc.)
backed up, onto another media? This is key.

Please provide more info. You may receive some help, here. But not until
more detail is provided.

smackedass

Mister 02-25-2008 02:27 PM

Re: windows won't shut down

Try msconfig and choose the Diagnostic Startup and see if that helps.
Then check each startup item one by one after each successful startup
and shutdown and see which startup program is causing the problem.
If everything checks out OK, then it could be something you are
running during the course of using the PC.
In this case, you will need to weigh your options. Is a complete
reload less time consuming then going through the process of finding
out what the cause is. If however, you want this to be a learning
experience, then diagnosing the problem is the best choice.

in Technicolor® 02-25-2008 04:41 PM

Re: windows won't shut down

With tongue-in-cheek he said "You may want to upgrade your RAM from 1.5
Megs".

news:1vd4489c3izj5$.18olbs1u9rsr7$.dlg@40tude.net. ..

John O 02-25-2008 09:02 PM

Re: windows won't shut down

I have no good ideas, but what about running a registry cleaner? I hear both
good and bad, but a modest one should prune away some junk, and my guess is
that your system has a pretty big registry.

Also, maybe try Alt-Tab before shutting down. I've had apps hiding in the
shadows.

Finally, open task manager and start killing processes. Maybe you'll get
lucky and find one that's preventing shutdown.

What does Spybot say about BHOs?

Are there any BIOS updates for that machine? I think it (I have the same
machine) is at A16, IIRC.

-John O