Velocity Reviews

-   -   Window XP HD problems (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t665151-window-xp-hd-problems.html)

teak 09-15-2007 12:27 PM

Window XP HD problems

For some starnge reason I cannot put Windows on my new Hard Drive. I
believe my mistake was gett a NTSF HD, not FAT 32. It is a Seagate
NTSF and for some reason resists FORMATTING and FDISK. It will not
take windows XP in a Normal FAshion and even dumps Programs.
What can I do?

In Unity
teak

Tom Benoit 09-15-2007 01:55 PM

Re: Window XP HD problems

What model Seagate HD did you buy?
This is neccessary for diagnosing the problem.
Also, HD's are HD's...they will all take whatever file system you decide to
format them with.

news:1189859245.077829.239830@k79g2000hse.googlegr oups.com...

Gerard Bok 09-15-2007 06:06 PM

Re: Window XP HD problems

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 05:27:25 -0700, teak <teak@linuxmail.org>
wrote:

>For some starnge reason I cannot put Windows on my new Hard Drive. I
>believe my mistake was gett a NTSF HD, not FAT 32. It is a Seagate
>NTSF and for some reason resists FORMATTING and FDISK. It will not
>take windows XP in a Normal FAshion and even dumps Programs.
>What can I do?

Put your Windows CD in the drive.
Boot from it.
Accept Windows' suggestions.

(And report here if it still doesn't work :-)

You may, however have bought a drive that is bigger than your
motherboard supports.
In that case you either need a bios upgrade, a fix from the
drive's manufacturer, or a more modern motherboard.

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok

teak 09-19-2007 03:07 AM

Re: Window XP HD problems

On Sep 15, 2:06 pm, bok...@zonnet.nl (Gerard Bok) wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 05:27:25 -0700, teak <t...@linuxmail.org>
> wrote:
>
> >For some starnge reason I cannot put Windows on my new Hard Drive. I
> >believe my mistake was gett a NTSF HD, not FAT 32. It is a Seagate
> >NTSF and for some reason resists FORMATTING and FDISK. It will not
> >take windows XP in a Normal FAshion and even dumps Programs.
> >What can I do?

> Put your Windows CD in the drive.
> Boot from it.
> Accept Windows' suggestions.
>
> (And report here if it still doesn't work :-)
>
> You may, however have bought a drive that is bigger than your
> motherboard supports.
> In that case you either need a bios upgrade, a fix from the
> drive's manufacturer, or a more modern motherboard.
>
> --
> Kind regards,
> Gerard Bok

No doubt, your absolutely right. Though my mother borad is brand new,
it must be that this board can hamdle little in the way of Windows.. I
put in a 60 G HD, and it seems to download. Thanks

Teak

middle_class_warrior 09-22-2007 02:52 PM

Re: Window XP HD problems

teak wrote:
> For some starnge reason I cannot put Windows on my new Hard Drive. I
> believe my mistake was gett a NTSF HD, not FAT 32. It is a Seagate
> NTSF and for some reason resists FORMATTING and FDISK. It will not
> take windows XP in a Normal FAshion and even dumps Programs.
> What can I do?
>
> In Unity
> teak

It could be defective. Can you reformat the drive in the early stages of
the XP install? Be aware the XP Pro requires NTFS.