Velocity Reviews

-   -   DDR Video cards on non-DDR Mobos (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t665013-ddr-video-cards-on-non-ddr-mobos.html)

Dave Hardenbrook 02-02-2007 06:14 PM

DDR Video cards on non-DDR Mobos

Now that I'm A+ Certified, I'm finding that a lot of situations are
coming up that seem like embarassing beginner's queries for me to have
to consult outside sources about, yet they certainly were not covered on
the Exam.

So here's the question I currently need to have straightened out: Is it
possible to use a Video card with DDR RAM on a Mobo that is non-DDR,
i.e. has only slots for standard SDRAM DIMMs? I guess the underlying
issue is, is a Mobo's non-support of DDR simply an issue of connector
compatibility (so you can't install DDR DIMMs), or is it a BIOS issue
(in which case you can't even use a PCI device with its own DDR RAM)?

Dave

me 02-03-2007 12:06 AM

Re: DDR Video cards on non-DDR Mobos

I would say it is a connector issue. Personally though I would ask the
question--why install a DDR video card into a motherboard that does not use
ddr memory? IMO I would never do it. I would never advise anyone to do it,
because imo I would think that the configuration would bottleneck the
computer even under ideal circumstances. Personally I try to get systems to
ideal conditions by maximizing everything available--m/b, cpu, memory and
video card, even the hard drive--remember your system is only as fast as the
weakest link. This is my opinion.

me 02-03-2007 01:54 PM

Re: DDR Video cards on non-DDR Mobos

I think that is exactly what I said...

As for being way off base--it could probably be done, but my question
still--Why would you want to do it?

M÷nžig˝or ▀oddoM 02-03-2007 09:04 PM

me wrote:
> I think that is exactly what I said...
>
> As for being way off base--it could probably be done, but my question
> still--Why would you want to do it?

I think you need to read Barry's reply again.
If the Graphics load is borne by a dedicated fast vid card, then
essentially the rest of the system will be less taxed.
I can see it doing it in my older server. It does it's job adequately
but the current video card sucks.

--

The M÷nžig˝or

"Sir, I am unaware of any such activity or operation - nor would
I be disposed to discuss such an operation if it did in
fact exist, sir."

me 02-03-2007 11:24 PM

Re: DDR Video cards on non-DDR Mobos

no, I understood his response. I think he misunderstood my original reply.
I said that I suppose you could use a DDR video card in a non ddr m/b, but
why would you want to? I don't understand how that is "way off base"
news:wN6xh.41267$Gr2.18876@newssvr21.news.prodigy. net...

Dave Hardenbrook 02-05-2007 06:24 AM

Re: DDR Video cards on non-DDR Mobos

In article <DvadnQj238ePT17YnZ2dnUVZ_ualnZ2d@comcast.com>, me@nospam.net
says...
> why install a DDR video card into a motherboard that does not use
> ddr memory?

Because I have a client with a old system with a "non-DDR" Mobo. Her
video card died, and the only replacement video cards that seem to be
available all use DDR. So I needed to verify that they will work on her
system.

JohnO 02-05-2007 02:35 PM

Re: DDR Video cards on non-DDR Mobos

> I said that I suppose you could use a DDR video card in a non ddr m/b, but
> why would you want to?

Your reason is the issue: "I would never advise anyone to do it,
because imo I would think that the configuration would bottleneck the
computer even under ideal circumstances."

I think what you're saying is that today's fast video cards shouldn't
be used in older (non-DDR) motherboards. But, the DDR in the video
card is simply allowing that processor to work faster than it would if
it used SDR. And that's all. In the end the card still needs to
translate its results to the AGP port, where it all evens out, and the
specific memory technology used by the video processor becomes 100%
irrelevant.

Is the DDR video card more power than the computer can handle? Hard to
say, but so what. If it's all Dave can get, it'll work just fine.

BTW, in this situation the terrm bottleneck is better used this
way...with the new DDR video card there certainly won't be a
bottleneck at the video system anymore. ....adding a faster peripheral
doesn't *cause* a bottleneck, it typically *removes* one.

Ahh, it's Monday! 3 degrees F and 2Ż feet of snow since Friday.

-John O

M÷nžig˝or ▀oddoM 02-05-2007 04:41 PM

JohnO wrote:
>> I said that I suppose you could use a DDR video card in a non ddr m/b, but
>> why would you want to?

> Your reason is the issue: "I would never advise anyone to do it,
> because imo I would think that the configuration would bottleneck the
> computer even under ideal circumstances."
>
> I think what you're saying is that today's fast video cards shouldn't
> be used in older (non-DDR) motherboards. But, the DDR in the video
> card is simply allowing that processor to work faster than it would if
> it used SDR. And that's all. In the end the card still needs to
> translate its results to the AGP port, where it all evens out, and the
> specific memory technology used by the video processor becomes 100%
> irrelevant.
>
> Is the DDR video card more power than the computer can handle? Hard to
> say, but so what. If it's all Dave can get, it'll work just fine.
>
> BTW, in this situation the terrm bottleneck is better used this
> way...with the new DDR video card there certainly won't be a
> bottleneck at the video system anymore. ....adding a faster peripheral
> doesn't *cause* a bottleneck, it typically *removes* one.
>
> Ahh, it's Monday! 3 degrees F and 2Ż feet of snow since Friday.

0 degrees here. I feel your windchill. :)