Velocity Reviews

-   -   firmware acpi failed? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t664984-firmware-acpi-failed.html)

lizzieb 01-01-2007 12:52 PM

firmware acpi failed?

Hi

Have just tested a Dell computer that was making lots of hard drive noise
and running slow. I ran PC-Check on it and the hard drive failed the Read
test but also the test showed up "Firmware acpi tests - failed". Its is a
80Gb sata drive. What does this mean? Would the two errors be related in
any way? If I just replace the hard drive would there still be a problem?
What would be the best way to get the machine to pass the Firmware acpi
test?

Thanks

Liz

smackedass 01-01-2007 02:02 PM

Re: firmware acpi failed?

This is just a guess, but could it be that the OS is/was attempting a power
management activity that the BIOS, or the mobo, could not support? I would
look into that, especially if it's an older computer.

Error messages don't always tell the truth, the whole truth, nothing but the
truth.

smackedass

Fred the Ferret 01-02-2007 04:30 PM

Re: firmware acpi failed?

On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 12:52:37 -0000
"lizzieb" <noway@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Have just tested a Dell computer that was making lots of hard drive noise
> and running slow. I ran PC-Check on it and the hard drive failed the Read
> test but also the test showed up "Firmware acpi tests - failed". Its is a
> 80Gb sata drive. What does this mean? Would the two errors be related in
> any way? If I just replace the hard drive would there still be a problem?
> What would be the best way to get the machine to pass the Firmware acpi
> test?

ACPI relates to power management, you should see an entry in Event Viewer on
startup that refers to the problem - usually fixable by BIOS upgrade, or just
ignore in most cases. The hard drive, if faulty, is an unrelated problem, I
believe, but rather more important (and costly? now where is that warranty
receipt...).
My best guess, anyways...

lizzieb 01-11-2007 04:40 PM

Re: firmware acpi failed?

Thanks - I think I shall just ignore it for now. Everthing else is working
great with the new hard drive.

Liz
news:a3794f131a60baf233ceedabe593d82c@msgid.frell. theremailer.net...