Velocity Reviews

-   -   what IRQ does a scsi controller use? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t664684-what-irq-does-a-scsi-controller-use.html)

dandelion 03-27-2006 04:25 AM

what IRQ does a scsi controller use?

What IRQ does a PCI SCSI adaptor with SCSI hard drives
attached use? Is an IRQ required for SCSI devices?

Nil 03-27-2006 04:53 AM

Re: what IRQ does a scsi controller use?

On 26 Mar 2006, dandelion <dandelion@usenet.com> wrote in

> What IRQ does a PCI SCSI adaptor with SCSI hard drives
> attached use?

Any free one will do. If PnP is turned on in the BIOS, that will take
care of it for you. I see that mine is assigned IRQ 12.

> Is an IRQ required for SCSI devices?

No, only the adapter needs one.

J. Clarke 03-27-2006 03:30 PM

dandelion wrote:

> What IRQ does a PCI SCSI adaptor with SCSI hard drives
> attached use?

There is no default. IBM originally reserved IRQ 14 for the disk
controller, but most machines have an IDE or SATA host adapter on that one.
If the SCSI host adapter is the only disk interface in the system then 14
would be a reasonable place to put it if you have that kind of control,
which you usually don't.

> Is an IRQ required for SCSI devices?

No, but performance will suffer.

--