Velocity Reviews

-   -   WINDOWS ME VIDEO CARD DILLEMA (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t664406-windows-me-video-card-dillema.html)

terrihemara@hotmail.com 09-09-2005 01:14 AM

WINDOWS ME VIDEO CARD DILLEMA

To all that are out there,

Greetings from my humble abode in Hastings N.Z. I have a dillema with a
PC I am hoping to salvage from ending up in the graveyard of PC's

OS - Windows ME, Powers on OK, one beep
No Picture.
Have tested 3 other video cards that work ok in other PC's, still no
picture
Have tested PSU with multimeter works ok
Attached another PSU, tested, works ok
Tested RAM ok
Tested Hard Drive on another PC, slow,(what does one expect with
Windows ME!!!) starts in safe mode, no mouse detected, suspect it may
have virus, not sure???

Anyone out there with any further suggestions, would be greatly
appreciated

Thanks.

Someone 09-09-2005 03:58 AM

Re: WINDOWS ME VIDEO CARD DILLEMA

"Michael A. Terrell" <mike.terrell@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> terrihemara@hotmail.com wrote:
>>
>> To all that are out there,
>>
>> Greetings from my humble abode in Hastings N.Z. I have a dillema with a
>> PC I am hoping to salvage from ending up in the graveyard of PC's
>>
>> OS - Windows ME, Powers on OK, one beep
>> No Picture.
>> Have tested 3 other video cards that work ok in other PC's, still no
>> picture
>> Have tested PSU with multimeter works ok
>> Attached another PSU, tested, works ok
>> Tested RAM ok
>> Tested Hard Drive on another PC, slow,(what does one expect with
>> Windows ME!!!) starts in safe mode, no mouse detected, suspect it may
>> have virus, not sure???
>>
>> Anyone out there with any further suggestions, would be greatly
>> appreciated
>>
>> Thanks.

> Are the electrolytics near the CPU bulging, or leaking?
> --
> ?
>
> Michael A. Terrell
> Central Florida

Are you sure the monitor actually works? Have you tried it on another
computer?

Rich

Tom MacIntyre 09-09-2005 07:51 PM

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 22:58:57 -0500, "Someone" <me@somewhere.com> wrote:

>"Michael A. Terrell" <mike.terrell@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> terrihemara@hotmail.com wrote:
>>>
>>> To all that are out there,
>>>
>>> Greetings from my humble abode in Hastings N.Z. I have a dillema with a
>>> PC I am hoping to salvage from ending up in the graveyard of PC's
>>>
>>> OS - Windows ME, Powers on OK, one beep
>>> No Picture.
>>> Have tested 3 other video cards that work ok in other PC's, still no
>>> picture
>>> Have tested PSU with multimeter works ok
>>> Attached another PSU, tested, works ok
>>> Tested RAM ok
>>> Tested Hard Drive on another PC, slow,(what does one expect with
>>> Windows ME!!!) starts in safe mode, no mouse detected, suspect it may
>>> have virus, not sure???
>>>
>>> Anyone out there with any further suggestions, would be greatly
>>> appreciated
>>>
>>> Thanks.

>> Are the electrolytics near the CPU bulging, or leaking?
>> --
>> ?
>>
>> Michael A. Terrell
>> Central Florida

>Are you sure the monitor actually works? Have you tried it on another
>computer?
>
>Rich

I suspect the term "hard drive" referred to the entire box, and, if
so, the monitor is suspect.

Tom

terrihemara@hotmail.com 09-11-2005 09:25 PM

Someone wrote:
> "Michael A. Terrell" <mike.terrell@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > terrihemara@hotmail.com wrote:
> >>
> >> To all that are out there,
> >>
> >> Greetings from my humble abode in Hastings N.Z. I have a dillema with a
> >> PC I am hoping to salvage from ending up in the graveyard of PC's
> >>
> >> OS - Windows ME, Powers on OK, one beep
> >> No Picture.
> >> Have tested 3 other video cards that work ok in other PC's, still no
> >> picture
> >> Have tested PSU with multimeter works ok
> >> Attached another PSU, tested, works ok
> >> Tested RAM ok
> >> Tested Hard Drive on another PC, slow,(what does one expect with
> >> Windows ME!!!) starts in safe mode, no mouse detected, suspect it may
> >> have virus, not sure???
> >>
> >> Anyone out there with any further suggestions, would be greatly
> >> appreciated
> >>
> >> Thanks.

> > Are the electrolytics near the CPU bulging, or leaking?
> > --
> > ?
> >
> > Michael A. Terrell
> > Central Florida

> Hey Micheal,

Thanks for the reply, I did not consider that this may contribute to
the problem i am having. i will discuss with my Tech tutor and see what
he advises.
> Are you sure the monitor actually works? Have you tried it on another
> computer?
>
> Rich

Hey Rich,

thanks for the reply, Yes i have tried it on another PC and the monitor
is working ok.

terrihemara@hotmail.com 09-11-2005 09:27 PM

Re: WINDOWS ME VIDEO CARD DILLEMA

hey tom,

thanks for your reply, no the hard drive i referred to was the hard
disks drive, not the system unit, and I have tested the monitor on
another pc and it works ok.

Tom MacIntyre 09-12-2005 08:09 PM

On 11 Sep 2005 14:27:55 -0700, terrihemara@hotmail.com wrote:

>hey tom,
>
>thanks for your reply, no the hard drive i referred to was the hard
>disks drive, not the system unit, and I have tested the monitor on
>another pc and it works ok.

Sorry...my mistake. :-)

Tom

Tom MacIntyre 09-12-2005 08:11 PM

Re: WINDOWS ME VIDEO CARD DILLEMA

On 11 Sep 2005 14:27:55 -0700, terrihemara@hotmail.com wrote:

>hey tom,
>
>thanks for your reply, no the hard drive i referred to was the hard
>disks drive, not the system unit, and I have tested the monitor on
>another pc and it works ok.

Hmmm...testing a Windows setup in a different computer means that
Windows does not get the hardware setup it is expecting.

Tom

terrihemara@hotmail.com 09-12-2005 10:17 PM

Re: WINDOWS ME VIDEO CARD DILLEMA

Thanks again for your reply
I connected it to another PC as the slave, it did detect all the
hardware from the system that i had connected it to, but as it was one
of the technical pcs that we use for workshops and it does not have a
virus detector installed so couldn't tell me if my hard disk drive had
a virus or not. I am hesitant to connect to other PC as the slave
incase it does some serious damage to the operating system.
If i am not able to save the entire PC I would like to salvage the hard
disks drive if possible. i have been advised by my tutor that it is
worth trying to save.

William Conley 09-14-2005 11:40 PM

Re: WINDOWS ME VIDEO CARD DILLEMA

Had this problem once: See if my solution works for you: Mine was
trying to use a screen resolution the monitor could not display. So it
would work with another (17") monitor, but not with a 15". So I put a
17" back on it, and changed the res to 600x480 and then put the 15"
back on. UNLESS: does it not show ANYTHING during boot? No
diagnostics? If no diagnostics are shown during boot, I would
generally hand the system over to an A+ (which would be the wife) and
walk away. I generally only take over once the Bill Gates operating
system kicks in. Hope I was helpful.

terrihemara@hotmail.com 09-15-2005 11:15 PM

Re: WINDOWS ME VIDEO CARD DILLEMA

Wiiliam,

thanks for your reply, after very little sleep and a lot of hair
pulling i have realised that it may be my motherboard that is faulty
and not my video as originally, alas, that assumption may be incorrect
as well,as it only beeps once when powered on , obviously the
motherboard or video cannot be faulty because

a) there would be more than one short beep when powered on
b) everything has been tested on another pc, xcept the motherboard and
works ok xcept the hard drive which starts in safe mode, with no mouse
appearing on the screen

i have discussed this at length with people in the industry and been
recently been told that i may have a driver conflict somwhere

i realise that this may be an obvious or easy problem to solve for
those of you who doing the A+ but it's all a learning experience and i
appreciate all the advise i can get.

all suggestions and opinions to this diagnosis welcolme.

Thankyou