Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Dos Question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t664367-re-dos-question.html)

Terry.McKenna@gmail.com 08-11-2005 03:08 PM

Re: Dos Question

Are you kidding?

You couldn't figure this out on your own?

http://www.google.com then type in "pipe dos" (without the quotes).

Geezzz

Terry.McKenna@gmail.com 08-11-2005 05:19 PM

Re: Dos Question

I found it on the first page Google returned:

http://www.uv.tietgen.dk/staff/mlha/PC/Soft/DOS/com/

Pipe
A data-channel ( | ) in RAM that takes output from a program and feeds
the data as input to another program

See the | That's the charter on your keyboard for pipe (shift +
\)

Tmack 08-11-2005 07:00 PM

Re: Dos Question

Dude,

He's obviously too lazy to research it on his own. He wants someone
else to give him the answer so he doesn't have to spend the time
"researching" the question.

How hard can it be to type in "pipe dos" into Google? And how come
my results pulled up the page I posted first. Did his query return
something different? Probably not.

It wouldn't be so bad except his question was very elementary and if
he plans to get anywhere in this business, he better start to learn to
be self sufficient.

Posting questions about simple commands in a DOS script is ridicules
for an A+ certification user group.

I'm not trying to be a prick, but that's just silly.

And why are you so worried about how I respond to someone else's
post?

You might not like my tone but I'm right.

Tom MacIntyre 08-11-2005 07:39 PM

Re: Dos Question

On 11 Aug 2005 10:19:12 -0700, Terry.McKenna@gmail.com wrote:

>I found it on the first page Google returned:
>
>http://www.uv.tietgen.dk/staff/mlha/PC/Soft/DOS/com/
>
>Pipe
>A data-channel ( | ) in RAM that takes output from a program and feeds
>the data as input to another program
>
>See the | That's the charter on your keyboard for pipe (shift +
>\)

It doesn't show where it is on the keyboard, and on the keyboard it
looks different also. | almost looks like l, lower case L, while the
pipe symbol on the keyboard looks like --, turned 90 degrees and
larger.

Tom

Tmack 08-11-2005 07:54 PM

Re: Dos Question

My bad.

I didn't realize that this is the
alt.iDontKnowWhatTheKeysOnMyKeyboardDo user group.

Tom MacIntyre 08-11-2005 08:50 PM

Re: Dos Question

On 11 Aug 2005 12:54:02 -0700, "Tmack" <Terry.McKenna@gmail.com>
wrote:

>My bad.
>
>I didn't realize that this is the
>alt.iDontKnowWhatTheKeysOnMyKeyboardDo user group.

When is that symbol used by the average person, though? Most people
who use a computer wouldn't even know what to call that, and many
other symbols as well, even if they have an idea of some of the uses.
Symbols such as ~, ^, *, \, <, and > would be rarely used, hence not
very well known either. ASCII art and the DOS pipe command are
presently the only uses I can think of for |.

Tom

Tom MacIntyre 08-11-2005 09:06 PM

Re: Dos Question

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 20:55:39 GMT, "smackedass"
<kemanospam@capecod.net> wrote:

>> I'm not trying to be a prick, but that's just silly.
>>
>> And why are you so worried about how I respond to someone else's
>> post?
>>
>> You might not like my tone but I'm right.

>I don't give a rat's rear end about your tone. Or anyone else's. I pay
>attention to content.
>
>I have posted several questions, most salient my 07/02/05 post in which I
>asked about "environment variables". I did a little bit of research about
>"environment variables", and didn't quite find the answer that I was looking
>for. Yes, I did "google" it, yes, I did check my notes, yes, I did look at
>my books. All that I got from this NG was one sarcastic reply. Not the
>least bit offended, I resumed, then discontinued, my research, when I
>realized that the goals of my undertaking were not worth my curiosity spent.
>Hell, that's so old-school, who would care now, anyway!
>
>But, now, since YOU'RE asking, yes, I believe that the members of this
>newsgroup MIGHT be a LITTLE bit more civil, when someone can't find an
>answer to their question.
>
>Of course, there are people who don't attempt to try to figure things out on
>their own, and all too often, trolls rear their useless heads, but there's
>no point in not sharing information that might help someone else, either.
>So, that's WHY I'm "so worried" about how [you] respond to someone else's
>post. Point being, I'm NOT worried, just WISH you and your ilk would seek
>higher ground.
>
>smackedass

Hey...I don't recall your original post, but with "environment
variables" as the string, with DOS as well, maybe there's something
here for you...

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...s%22+dos&meta=

Tom

Tom MacIntyre 08-11-2005 09:13 PM

Re: Dos Question

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 21:06:16 GMT, Tom MacIntyre
<tom__macintyre@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hey...I don't recall your original post, but with "environment
>variables" as the string, with DOS as well, maybe there's something
>here for you...
>
>http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...s%22+dos&meta=
>
>Tom

Try one of Peter Norton's early "DOS Guide" books as well...I cut my
DOS teeth with an early edition, mid-80's, I'd say.

Tom

Pat 08-11-2005 09:44 PM

Re: Dos Question

Tom MacIntyre wrote:
> On 11 Aug 2005 12:54:02 -0700, "Tmack" <Terry.McKenna@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>My bad.
>>
>>I didn't realize that this is the
>>alt.iDontKnowWhatTheKeysOnMyKeyboardDo user group.

> When is that symbol used by the average person, though? Most people
> who use a computer wouldn't even know what to call that, and many
> other symbols as well, even if they have an idea of some of the uses.
> Symbols such as ~, ^, *, \, <, and > would be rarely used, hence not
> very well known either. ASCII art and the DOS pipe command are
> presently the only uses I can think of for |.

I've used it a lot in unix-based systems, especially when programming.
It's also a good choice for a delimiter in text files, for the exact
reason that you specified (not common). In a Windows environment,
you're right...I can't think of many people who use it, especially the
"average" user.

Tmack 08-11-2005 09:48 PM

Re: Dos Question

And so we reach the root of the problem.

This NG was not intended to be a technical support NG. Maybe that's
why you didn't get any worthwhile responses from the users here
regarding your previous post.

Perhaps you, and pipe boy, should have posted to a more appropriate NG.

No?