Velocity Reviews

-   -   A+ again? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t664353-a-again.html)

Me 08-03-2005 09:48 PM

A+ again?

Is there any reason at all, except for maybe the boss telling you to, to
attempt A+ under the new objectives if you already have the certification?

I passed A+ (both tests, 1st attempt) in November 2003. I've also passed
Server+ and some other OEM certifications since then as well. Now add 10+
years "computer tech" experience.

I know A+ doesn't expire, but I can't see one good logical reason, other
than the above mentioned one, that I need to test again. I can't find much
info. on the CompTIA website either.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

John P. Dearing 08-04-2005 01:30 AM

Re: A+ again?

Me wrote:
> Is there any reason at all, except for maybe the boss telling you to, to
> attempt A+ under the new objectives if you already have the certification?

There is *no* good reason to do so. Explain to your boss that A+ is an
*entry level* certification. You don't need to recertify that you have
entry level qualifications.

That would be like having to pass 4th grade final exams *again* before
you could take the 5th grade final exams. Or having to completely retake
the automobile driving exam if you are going for a Commercial Drivers
License (CDL). Some things just naturally build on top of previous
things. A+ is one of them.

> I passed A+ (both tests, 1st attempt) in November 2003. I've also passed
> Server+ and some other OEM certifications since then as well. Now add 10+
> years "computer tech" experience.

You're obviously more than qualified. Engage you boss in a little
enlightenment session and explain the CompTIA certification process in a
little more depth to him. Explain to him that A+ is a entry-level,
starter certification, along with Network+ and Server+, that provides
you with a solid foundation to layer additional certifications upon, and
thet's exactly what you have already done with your OEM certifications.

Make sure he understands that CompTIA isn't like Microsoft, there is no
"certification treadmill" with them.

I'm sure if you look around a bit on the CompTIA website, you'll find
more information to back this up.

Good luck!!

John
--
John P. Dearing
A+, Network+, Server+

Me 08-04-2005 01:50 AM

Re: A+ again?

Thanks for responding. He certainly doesn't understand the CompTIA certs at
all. He has said he wants me to "retake my certification" because others
need it and it wouldn't be fair to them if I didn't have to study. Yet, he
wants me to lead training classes. Sorry..a little "boss venting" there...

Pat 08-04-2005 03:04 AM

Re: A+ again?

Me wrote:
> Is there any reason at all, except for maybe the boss telling you to, to
> attempt A+ under the new objectives if you already have the certification?
>
> I passed A+ (both tests, 1st attempt) in November 2003. I've also passed
> Server+ and some other OEM certifications since then as well. Now add 10+
> years "computer tech" experience.
>
> I know A+ doesn't expire, but I can't see one good logical reason, other
> than the above mentioned one, that I need to test again. I can't find much
> info. on the CompTIA website either.
>
> Any thoughts?

Not unless somebody else is paying for it and you're intelligent enough
to pass it without doing any studying. Otherwise, it's a waste of time
and money, IMHO. It's not like a Microsoft cert where you list it as
"MCSE in Windows 2000" or "MCSA in Windows XP." An A+ certification is
an A+ certification, no matter what year you got it in.

I'd spend your money and time on another certification. I learned more
in a month of my first IT job than I ever did studying for the A+. 10
years experience is far and above better then retesting on an exam you
already passed.

JohnO 08-04-2005 01:08 PM

Re: A+ again?

> he wants me to "retake my certification" because others
> need it and it wouldn't be fair to them if I didn't have to study.

Let me guess...he's got pointy hair? (i.e. Dilbert's boss??)

If you're doing the job of a computer tech now, you ARE studying. And if you
really have that sort of experience, and he's paying for it, just go take
the exam now. For you it should be VERY easy, especially if you know how to
wrangle a multiple-choice exam.

You only need to get 50 out of 80, and IME there are *lots* of easy
questions.

-John O

Gerard Bok 08-04-2005 11:34 PM

Re: A+ again?

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 20:50:22 -0500, "Me" <Nowhere@somewhere.net>
wrote:

>Thanks for responding. He certainly doesn't understand the CompTIA certs at
>all. He has said he wants me to "retake my certification" because others
>need it and it wouldn't be fair to them if I didn't have to study. Yet, he
>wants me to lead training classes.

Well, in that case it does make sense.
It'll teach you the kind of questions your mates are going to
meet.

And since you allready are qualified, you will likely hit a high
score. Which gives you quite an insight into the right answers.
(Score 100% and you will be sure which of the answers where
correct :-)

>"John P. Dearing" <John.Dearing@VerYOURPANTSizon.NET> wrote in message
>> Me wrote:
>> > Is there any reason at all, except for maybe the boss telling you to, to
>> > attempt A+ under the new objectives if you already have the

>certification?

I'm not sure about the current Comptia rules but I recall a few
years back, that a qualified person was not allowed to retake a
test for a year. (For fear of question-leaking, I was told then.)

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok

Jim 08-05-2005 02:19 AM

Re: A+ again?

bok118@zonnet.nl (Gerard Bok) wrote in news:42f2a494.2837406
@News.Individual.NET:

> I'm not sure about the current Comptia rules but I recall a few
> years back, that a qualified person was not allowed to retake a
> test for a year.

Still the case (as of last week).

Jim

JohnO 08-06-2005 01:32 PM

Re: A+ again?

> I'm not sure about the current Comptia rules but I recall a few
> years back, that a qualified person was not allowed to retake a
> test for a year. (For fear of question-leaking, I was told then.)

If the test us updated or you fail, you can take it sooner. Otherwise, you
are 100% correct.

-John O

Terry.McKenna@gmail.com 08-10-2005 07:13 PM

Re: A+ again?

What do you mean by "New Objectives"? I thought the current test, 2003,
is the most recent. Is there a new exam?

Thanks