Velocity Reviews

-   -   External storage media and thoughts on back-ups (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t664335-external-storage-media-and-thoughts-on-back-ups.html)

Breedo 07-22-2005 06:27 PM

External storage media and thoughts on back-ups

I need some advice on what kind of external drive I should buy to back-up
client data. I suppose if a machine I'm working on has an internal CD
burner I would use that for the back-up, but are there external options that
would be faster? I know that would depend on the internal device's speed,
so I guess what I'm trying to get at is how well do external storage device
speeds compare to internal burners in general?

Even though USB 2.0 is standard on new machines, I may be working on older
machines that don't support 2.0 (or USB at all). So I'm also trying to
figure out what my best option is in terms of speed and compatibility
issues.

For those of you who have your own side business or consulting, what do you
typically use to back-up your client's machine? Do you run into issues with
older machines not having fast external jacks? Or systems without a burner
(or an old, slow one)? What do you do?

Thanks in advance for any and all input!
-Breedo_

Cndrakes 07-22-2005 11:00 PM

Re: External storage media and thoughts on back-ups

Breedo wrote:
> I need some advice on what kind of external drive I should buy to back-up
> client data. I suppose if a machine I'm working on has an internal CD
> burner I would use that for the back-up, but are there external options that
> would be faster? I know that would depend on the internal device's speed,
> so I guess what I'm trying to get at is how well do external storage device
> speeds compare to internal burners in general?
>
> Even though USB 2.0 is standard on new machines, I may be working on older
> machines that don't support 2.0 (or USB at all). So I'm also trying to
> figure out what my best option is in terms of speed and compatibility
> issues.
>
> For those of you who have your own side business or consulting, what do you
> typically use to back-up your client's machine? Do you run into issues with
> older machines not having fast external jacks? Or systems without a burner
> (or an old, slow one)? What do you do?
>
> Thanks in advance for any and all input!
> -Breedo_

I hope this will help: on older machines I use a maxtor 120g external HD
with Pci and Firewire connections. I either use a serial to usb adapter
or use a pci firewire card or pci usb card transfer of files is quick
even on older machines I did find a isa card a while ago with 1 usb slot on

Breedo 07-23-2005 01:21 AM

"Cndrakes" <cndrakes@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Breedo wrote:
> > I need some advice on what kind of external drive I should buy to

back-up
> > client data. I suppose if a machine I'm working on has an internal CD
> > burner I would use that for the back-up, but are there external options

that
> > would be faster? I know that would depend on the internal device's

speed,
> > so I guess what I'm trying to get at is how well do external storage

device
> > speeds compare to internal burners in general?
> >
> > Even though USB 2.0 is standard on new machines, I may be working on

older
> > machines that don't support 2.0 (or USB at all). So I'm also trying to
> > figure out what my best option is in terms of speed and compatibility
> > issues.
> >
> > For those of you who have your own side business or consulting, what do

you
> > typically use to back-up your client's machine? Do you run into issues

with
> > older machines not having fast external jacks? Or systems without a

burner
> > (or an old, slow one)? What do you do?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any and all input!
> > -Breedo_
> >

> I hope this will help: on older machines I use a maxtor 120g external HD
> with Pci and Firewire connections. I either use a serial to usb adapter
> or use a pci firewire card or pci usb card transfer of files is quick
> even on older machines I did find a isa card a while ago with 1 usb slot

on

So you're adding the firewire or usb connections by inserting a pci card
into the persons machine, right? Any issues with installing drivers? How
comfortable are your clients with you installing the card into their system?
If you're going inside their machine and adding something, would it be any
faster/better/more efficient to just have an extra internal HD that you
could temporarily install?

Thanks for your input! Just trying to look at this from all angles and pick
your brains a bit :-)
-Breedo_

Andrew Tang 07-23-2005 03:38 AM

Re: External storage media and thoughts on back-ups

While it not be an acceptable media for archival purposes, rewritable media
does serve well for daily (or weekly) backups. They are generally rated for
up to 1,000 writes and therefore cost effective and environmentally
friendly. Heat is the biggest cause of deterioration so store them
accordingly especially when used for mid term data storage.

I personally would go for USB 2.0 external DVD with DVD RW media (5540
kbyte/second nominal at 4x).

Pat 07-23-2005 04:52 AM

Breedo wrote:
> I need some advice on what kind of external drive I should buy to back-up
> client data. I suppose if a machine I'm working on has an internal CD
> burner I would use that for the back-up, but are there external options that
> would be faster? I know that would depend on the internal device's speed,
> so I guess what I'm trying to get at is how well do external storage device
> speeds compare to internal burners in general?
>
> Even though USB 2.0 is standard on new machines, I may be working on older
> machines that don't support 2.0 (or USB at all). So I'm also trying to
> figure out what my best option is in terms of speed and compatibility
> issues.
>
> For those of you who have your own side business or consulting, what do you
> typically use to back-up your client's machine? Do you run into issues with
> older machines not having fast external jacks? Or systems without a burner
> (or an old, slow one)? What do you do?
>
> Thanks in advance for any and all input!
> -Breedo_

I'd just get an external hard drive enclosure with USB 2.0. If for some
reason they don't have USB, just take the hard drive out and hook it up
internally.

It sounds like all you're doing is temporary "backups" for customer's
data if they need to have Windows reinstalled or just to be on the safe
side, so I don't see the point in doing anything complicated like tape
backups.