Velocity Reviews

-   -   Monitor issue (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t664163-monitor-issue.html)

Paul Kersey 05-01-2005 09:04 PM

Monitor issue

Gave my brother a used pc. When sent the PC worked perfectly. BTW just a
Computer, Keyboard, and mouse. No Monitor was sent.
Any way, he can not get any of his monitors to work with the PC. He has two
functioning monitors, verified with other PCs in his home.
He gets the yellow stand by light on the monitor when it is plugged into the
PC. He opened the PC to verify that the video card is seated. Which it
was,...it fact the small processor fan was running on board the card ...so
the card is being powered..
What are some of the possible resoultions to this problem?
Is it possible that his monitors will not support the video card?
One question I did not ask, was if there were any beeps when he attempts to
boot. He didn't mention it, so I assumed there was just the standard beep at
boot.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
PK

me 05-01-2005 09:44 PM

Re: Monitor issue

did the pc have onboard video? I had one once that did not give any
indication whatsoever that it had gone bad--no series of beeps, no
nothing--just turned on the computer and there was no video.

Paul Kersey 05-01-2005 10:06 PM

Re: Monitor issue

+No the computer has a upgraded to a AGP 32MB NVDIA RIVA TNT2 Model
64/64pro.
it is powered because he confirmed that onboard card fan is running.

news:V0cde.150581$vK6.27762@bignews3.bellsouth.net ...

David Hough 05-02-2005 09:11 PM

Re: Monitor issue

Could he be using a couple old monitors, that are too slow to sync, on
your newer PC. I had a couple monitors that worked fine on a couple old
DOS PCs. ie. CGA or VGA Neither would sync on a newer SVGA video board
Dave

Tom MacIntyre 05-02-2005 09:57 PM

Re: Monitor issue

On Sun, 01 May 2005 21:04:30 GMT, "Paul Kersey" <Paul
Kersey@nospamaol.com> wrote:

>Gave my brother a used pc. When sent the PC worked perfectly. BTW just a
>Computer, Keyboard, and mouse. No Monitor was sent.
>Any way, he can not get any of his monitors to work with the PC. He has two
>functioning monitors, verified with other PCs in his home.
>He gets the yellow stand by light on the monitor when it is plugged into the
>PC. He opened the PC to verify that the video card is seated. Which it
>was,...it fact the small processor fan was running on board the card ...so
>the card is being powered..
>What are some of the possible resoultions to this problem?
>Is it possible that his monitors will not support the video card?
>One question I did not ask, was if there were any beeps when he attempts to
>boot. He didn't mention it, so I assumed there was just the standard beep at
>boot.
>
>Any suggestions are appreciated.
>PK

Probably you need a bit more information, like the identity of the
monitors being used. If they are fairly new, something may have
happened to the PC while in transit.

Tom

MF 05-03-2005 01:28 AM

Re: Monitor issue

Did you try another video card in the pc?

news:yvbde.4127$1z2.235748@twister.southeast.rr.co m...

James C 05-04-2005 08:37 AM

Re: Monitor issue

Yeah sounds like a video card...try a different one if possible but if
the one he has is really mucked up the PC *should* beep to say that it
is defective

give it a go anyway

the_angry_monkey 05-05-2005 08:46 AM

Re: Monitor issue

If there is onboard video as well the PC may be set to put signal to
the onboard video and not the AGP video

Paul Kersey 05-06-2005 05:02 AM

Re: Monitor issue

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Brother removed and tested the video card and confirmed it is working.
Placed it back in the PC and it refused to function. Disgusted, he tried to
boot one last time,... after a late night battle with the PC,... it finally
worked. It is not clear what resolved the problem. If I had to guess, I
would say the card wasn't seated, but have no way to verify because he lives
200 miles away from me.

Thanks again for all the trouble shooting suggestions.

PK

bopper2 05-06-2005 05:50 AM

Re: Monitor issue

Have him put the Video card in another machine..(have drivers) see if
it works..
Having a standby light sounds to me like a card problem not a conflict
with onboard. I'm not sure here, just offering info. DM doesn't see
it?
Try reboot to F8, select VGA mode. See if that gets you past any
driver issues.