Velocity Reviews

-   -   Help me with a serious problem, please (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t664152-help-me-with-a-serious-problem-please.html)

Paul 04-26-2005 04:15 PM

Help me with a serious problem, please

Hey Everyone,

I know this is not exactly A+ related, but you've all been helpful with my
other questions, and this one's a bit scarey.

I've gotten an Email from Ebay, which I have never used or even been to,
saying something about fraudulent account usage.
The guts of it are here...

Urgent Safeharbor Department Notice!

eBay Fraud Mediation RequestDate: Wed, 25 April 2005

Dear eBay Member,You have recieved this email because you or someone had
used your account to make fake bids at eBay. For security purposes, we are
required to open an investigation into this matter.

The login attempt was made fromIP address: 162.25.210.76 ISP Host:
cache-66.proxy.cyberwest.com

* You must verify the details by clicking on the link provided below. If you
choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choice but to temporarily
suspend your account.

The fraud Alert ID code contained in this message will be attached in our
fraud mediation request form, in order to verify your account registration
information!Fraud Alert ID code: xxxxxxxx (Please save this Fraud Alert ID
Code for your reference.)

What the hell is all this about? I finally plucked the courage to click on
the link they gave, but it went nowhere.

I've never used ebay.

Paul in Australia

Captain Lon 04-26-2005 06:47 PM

Re: Help me with a serious problem, please

I got it too. Send it to Ebay. They will confirm that there is nothing
wrong with your Ebay account.

--
Captain Lon

All your base are belong to us.

news:xcvbe.14578$An2.1175@newsread2.news.pas.earth link.net...

Paul 04-26-2005 07:07 PM

Re: Help me with a serious problem, please

Thanks Barry and Everyone.

I went to (the real) Ebay, and read their pages about spoof emails. I
forwarded the email to them and a reply came back straight away saying that
it wasn't from them (which i'd already worked out because the link looked
fishy (or should i say phishy!))

It just sounded like someone was using my email as an ebay account and I had
flashbacks to the film The Net (must watch that again one day). Identity
fraud.

I feel better now.

BTW Thanks for answering my Laser Printer questions.

Paul in Australia

me 04-26-2005 09:08 PM

Re: Help me with a serious problem, please

It is fraud. I have received emails like that supposedly from paypal, and
ebay, and citibank, and regions bank, and they are all fake emails. I
always trace the email, and turn the sender in to their server. I also go
to the website and then copy and past the url into samspade.org and run a
whois search and then call the server or the webhost and let them know what
is happening.

1. Banks and financial institutions will NEVER send out anything in an
email requesting or demanding that you click on an enclosed link and provide
your personal information.
2. Paypal and Ebay also follow the same rules as above.

these idiot phishers need to get a real job.

I have seen alot of attempts by scammers to get me to provide personal, and
financial information. I learned long ago what to look for, and where to
look for it, and thus I avoid falling for their nefarious schemes.

AG 04-26-2005 11:52 PM

"me" <me@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:F%xbe.131573$UW6.111635@bignews5.bellsouth.ne t...
> It is fraud. I have received emails like that supposedly from paypal, and
> ebay, and citibank, and regions bank, and they are all fake emails. I
> always trace the email, and turn the sender in to their server. I also go
> to the website and then copy and past the url into samspade.org and run a
> whois search and then call the server or the webhost and let them know

what
> is happening.
>
> 1. Banks and financial institutions will NEVER send out anything in an
> email requesting or demanding that you click on an enclosed link and

provide
> your personal information.
> 2. Paypal and Ebay also follow the same rules as above.
>
> these idiot phishers need to get a real job.
>
> I have seen alot of attempts by scammers to get me to provide personal,

and
> financial information. I learned long ago what to look for, and where to
> look for it, and thus I avoid falling for their nefarious schemes.

I reported one last month to the ISP and they denied that the site was on
their server. It probably wasn't by the time they got around to checking on
it.

AG

returnoftheyeti@aol.com 04-27-2005 02:00 AM

Re: Help me with a serious problem, please

Get A better Browser. Or patch IE

I think that that IE hole has been patched for quite a while.

Last time I got one of thoes emails I had a lot of fun with it. I
opened the email in IE on winxp and (supriese) the url bar read
"ebay.com" . Opened it in FireFox and the address bar gave the IP
address of the hosting company. Then I tried it in Linux and Galeon,
FireFox and lynx all showed the IP address, not Ebay,

Moral of the story, IE sucks.

PS and totally off topic. I am trying out Opera8 right now and posting
from Google Groups. I've always loved Opera, but it sure dosn't format
this page properly

Captain Lon 04-27-2005 11:04 AM

Re: Help me with a serious problem, please

When I received my phishing letter, I figured they harvested my email
address from a web site that I own. You see, I have links to paypal on the
site, so visitors can purchase things, and I think the evil phishers 'bot
figured that if I have a paypal account, then I must have an ebay account.
So, they sent me a letter about updating the info on my ebay account.