Velocity Reviews

-   -   Registry problem. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t663988-registry-problem.html)

Raymond 03-05-2005 01:46 PM

Registry problem.

I got a popup screen everytime I reboot the computer says "One of the file
containing the system's registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or
alternate copy. The recover was successful". Then, I can do very little
with my computer. I try to copy stuffs from one hard drive to another, it
reboots. Surf the internet a while, it reboots. Most the files I download
from the internet seem to be corrupted, but they were not corrupt before. I
did save mode, last known config, system restore, Virus scan, delete some
program files that I might they causing the problem, but they won't help.
WHat should I do next? I have limit knowledge about how to manipulate the
registry or messing with it. Any suggestion?

Raymond 03-05-2005 01:47 PM

Re: Registry problem.

My system runs on xp professional with the lastest patches and updates
installed.

Andrew Tang 03-05-2005 08:19 PM

Re: Registry problem.

What you are seeing is caused by bad hardware. My best guess is hard drive,
followed by RAM.
Clone your current hard drive into a known good one and run your WinXP from
there.

Andy

«BONEHEAD>> 03-05-2005 10:03 PM

Re: Registry problem.

"Andrew Tang" <andy.tang@excite.com> wrote in message
> What you are seeing is caused by bad hardware. My best guess is hard
> drive, followed by RAM.
> Clone your current hard drive into a known good one and run your WinXP
> from there.
>
> Andy

run scanreg /fix

--
<B0N3H3@D>

MF 03-06-2005 08:19 AM

Re: Registry problem.

bad memory, bad power supply, bad motherboard, bad hard drive in decreasing
order of likelihood, or virus/spyware. turn off system restore, first. get
memtest86 and run it (free). get the hard drive diagnostic from the
manufacturere and run it. run checkdisk/scan disk. get, learn and run
hijackthis. avoid everything from symantec-- i hate to say that, but do it.
AND in doing all this, boot into safe mode. press f8 when the thing is
booting and choose the option. (follow the directions with memtest).
hijackthis you'll simply have to learn. it's the only dependable spyware
checker. oh- try the MSFT's new spyware piece - it's got a lot of good
reviews. but dpend on hijackthis. not only is it the best, there are
dozens of forums supporting it. run a google search to find them.

and run a couple three four anti virus programs. avg, trend micro, sophos,
nod. avoid mcafee and symantec. if memtest, the hdd checks, the antivirus
checks, and the spyware checks turn up nothing, suspect your motherboard or
power supply. how to check? newegg.com, power supplies, rosewill, from 18
to 34 dollars will run anything you have. stick it in and see if the
problem goes away............. if not, suspect motherboard

OH, by the way, all this assumes you have already checked for intermittent
shorts in every card in the system by pulling the cards one by one to see if
the problem goes away. Have you done that? If not, do it now.

good luck, sounds like you got a PITA on your hands, because what you
describe could be caused by many things. btw, if chekdisk turns up bad
sectors, run it again. and again. what you are looking for is an
increasing number of bad sectors. if that's what you are getting, your hd
is bad.

Mike

Bum 03-06-2005 10:42 AM

Re: Registry problem.

> "Raymond" <NotValidEmail@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I got a popup screen everytime I reboot the computer says "One of the
>> file containing the system's registry data had to be recovered by use
>> of a log

> or
>> alternate copy. The recover was successful". Then, I can do very
>> little with my computer. I try to copy stuffs from one hard drive to
>> another, it reboots. Surf the internet a while, it reboots. Most
>> the files I

> download
>> from the internet seem to be corrupted, but they were not corrupt
>> before.

>> did save mode, last known config, system restore, Virus scan, delete
>> some program files that I might they causing the problem, but they
>> won't help. WHat should I do next? I have limit knowledge about how
>> to manipulate the registry or messing with it. Any suggestion?

Everybody has given great advice here.

One thing I have recenetly ran into are a new set of spyware / virus that
are undetectable unless you slave the drive. These do not show up in the
GUI interface, even if you have show hidden files. Need to go to a command
prompt and set the attributes in a command window and then delete them.

BUM

«BONEHEAD>> 03-06-2005 03:23 PM

Re: Registry problem.

"Bum" <Bum@bummer.org> wrote in message
>> "Raymond" <NotValidEmail@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> I got a popup screen everytime I reboot the computer says "One of the
>>> file containing the system's registry data had to be recovered by use
>>> of a log

>> or
>>> alternate copy. The recover was successful". Then, I can do very
>>> little with my computer. I try to copy stuffs from one hard drive to
>>> another, it reboots. Surf the internet a while, it reboots. Most
>>> the files I

>> download
>>> from the internet seem to be corrupted, but they were not corrupt
>>> before.

>>> did save mode, last known config, system restore, Virus scan, delete
>>> some program files that I might they causing the problem, but they
>>> won't help. WHat should I do next? I have limit knowledge about how
>>> to manipulate the registry or messing with it. Any suggestion?
>>>

> Everybody has given great advice here.
>
> One thing I have recenetly ran into are a new set of spyware / virus that
> are undetectable unless you slave the drive. These do not show up in the
> GUI interface, even if you have show hidden files. Need to go to a
> command
> prompt and set the attributes in a command window and then delete them.

This could be cured with a boot disk anti virus.
As mentioned before this type of tool is indipsensible.
Slaving a drive is not neccassarily an option while sitting at the
customers shop or home.

--
<B0N3H3@D>

Bum 03-06-2005 03:49 PM

Re: Registry problem.

"«BONEHEAD>>" <nunya@bidness.not> wrote in
news:2gFWd.10338$mB2.2864@newssvr31.news.prodigy.c om:

> "Bum" <Bum@bummer.org> wrote in message
>>> "Raymond" <NotValidEmail@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> or
>>> download
>>>>

>> Everybody has given great advice here.
>>
>> One thing I have recenetly ran into are a new set of spyware / virus
>> that are undetectable unless you slave the drive. These do not show
>> up in the GUI interface, even if you have show hidden files. Need to
>> go to a command
>> prompt and set the attributes in a command window and then delete
>> them.
>>

> This could be cured with a boot disk anti virus.
> As mentioned before this type of tool is indipsensible.
> Slaving a drive is not neccassarily an option while sitting at the
> customers shop or home.

A boot disk virus scan is one tool I have found to give to many false
positives for a system being clean .... and few run on NTFS volumns ...
that are a worth a thing ...

«BONEHEAD>> 03-06-2005 04:20 PM

Re: Registry problem.

> "«BONEHEAD>>" <nunya@bidness.not> wrote in
> news:2gFWd.10338$mB2.2864@newssvr31.news.prodigy.c om:
>

>> "Bum" <Bum@bummer.org> wrote in message
>>>>>

>>> Everybody has given great advice here.
>>>
>>> One thing I have recenetly ran into are a new set of spyware / virus
>>> that are undetectable unless you slave the drive. These do not show
>>> up in the GUI interface, even if you have show hidden files. Need to
>>> go to a command
>>> prompt and set the attributes in a command window and then delete
>>> them.
>>>

>> This could be cured with a boot disk anti virus.
>> As mentioned before this type of tool is indipsensible.
>> Slaving a drive is not neccassarily an option while sitting at the
>> customers shop or home.
>>

> A boot disk virus scan is one tool I have found to give to many false
> positives for a system being clean .... and few run on NTFS volumns ...
> that are a worth a thing ...

I'm thinking between Fprot ands McAfee with the latest defs your gonna
come out of DOS mode with a pretty good idea of your problems.
Booting into safe mode and running your other tools then would
be the sensible thing to do...
You also got to consider how much time your putting in...
Are you working on site???
How do you propose slaving every suspect HD?
Not arguing, just curious, because of costs factors this method
could get expensive....

--
<B0N3H3@D>

returnoftheyeti@aol.com 03-06-2005 08:19 PM