Velocity Reviews

-   -   Need HELP booting up IBM ThinkPad Laptop ! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t663905-need-help-booting-up-ibm-thinkpad-laptop.html)

Thomas Carson 02-06-2005 07:11 PM

Need HELP booting up IBM ThinkPad Laptop !

Hello all. I need your expertise on getting this laptop going.

It's a liitle earlier than the IBM ThinkPad 600 series I believe?
(type 9547 written on the back label).

The Win OS on the HD is corrupt (won't even boot into safe mode) and
it has a CD-ROM, but I have no floppy for it. The BIOS has no option
for booting to the CD! So I can't load the CD device drivers into
memory.

I removed the 3 GB hard drive out, hoping I could attached it to an
ATA cable using a 40 to 44 pin adapter, but the connector on the drive
is different than other laptop drives Ive worked with. Anyone know
where I can get a proper adapter for an IBM drive like this?

Does anyone have experience with this laptop. Where can I find an
external or internal floppy that will work so i can boot it? Any other
ideas?

Thank you very much!

Tom Carson
San Diego, CA

johnnygeargrinder2004@yahoo.com 02-07-2005 01:20 AM

Re: Need HELP booting up IBM ThinkPad Laptop !

Put yout laptop back together. Go to a pc w/internet connection. Go to
www.bootdisk.com . There you will find a bootdisk download section.
What Windows was on your laptop? Windows 98 bootdisk can help even
with xp/2000 recovery. Unless the drive has a NTFS file system. You
might search your bios manufacturers website for a flash update that
would enable booting from a cd. You could download the update to a
floppy and flash your bios. Worth a try anyway. However, try the
bootdisk first.

..............................................John ny

Spammy Sammy 02-07-2005 07:47 AM

<johnnygeargrinder2004@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1107739230.288375.15090@l41g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...
> snip

IIRC IBM's of this series do not have floppy drives.

If there is no critical data on this laptop I would boot from an XP CD (it
should boot without needing drivers etc) and do a clean install or maybe try
the Repair function first.

If there is critical data then I would be interested in how you resolve this
issue and request you post your fix. Can laptop drives be slaved into
desktops by use of a ribbon cable adaptor or similar? Anyone know?

AG 02-09-2005 10:52 PM

"Thomas Carson" <tomcatt05@NOSPAM.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello all. I need your expertise on getting this laptop going.
>
> It's a liitle earlier than the IBM ThinkPad 600 series I believe?
> (type 9547 written on the back label).
>
> The Win OS on the HD is corrupt (won't even boot into safe mode) and
> it has a CD-ROM, but I have no floppy for it. The BIOS has no option
> for booting to the CD! So I can't load the CD device drivers into
> memory.
>
> I removed the 3 GB hard drive out, hoping I could attached it to an
> ATA cable using a 40 to 44 pin adapter, but the connector on the drive
> is different than other laptop drives Ive worked with. Anyone know
> where I can get a proper adapter for an IBM drive like this?
>
> Does anyone have experience with this laptop. Where can I find an
> external or internal floppy that will work so i can boot it? Any other
> ideas?
>
> Thank you very much!
>
> Tom Carson
> San Diego, CA

I've got a couple of IBM 600s and I do have a floppy drive for it. They run
about $40 to $60 on Ebay. Mine will boot to a CD and I've done it but I'm
assuming that you have tried and it didn't work from what you are saying.
There is a little adaptor for laptop hard drives that will let you put them
into a regular PC and plug them into a regular IDE connection. They are not
very expensive, usually less than $5.00. That's probably the cheapest
thing for you to do. That way you can plug it into another computer, format
it with the system files and then copy the Win98 cabs onto it. That way you
can put it into the laptop and run setup and install Windows on it.

AG

Thomas Carson 02-11-2005 09:17 PM

Re: Need HELP booting up IBM ThinkPad Laptop !

I bought the 40 to 44 pin HD adapter from Frys but that one doesnt
work. I need a different type of adapter for the IMB drive. Where can
I get one? Does your IMB 600 have the option to boot from the CD ?
Are you hitting any special keys during bootup?

Thank you,
Fred