Velocity Reviews

-   -   compaq question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t663774-compaq-question.html)

me 12-17-2004 08:58 PM

compaq question

Got a question that I can't seem to find the answer for, and I have spoken
with a "tech" from Hewlett Packard and the link they sent me to was dead, so
I am at a loss.

My question is this: I have a new compaq presario with approximately a 32Gb
drive. I want to completely remove that drive and install a newer, larger
drive, however my problem begins when I go to take the drive out--one side
of the case is completely riveted shut, with no seeable method to remove it,
and there is not enough distance between the inside section of the drive and
the side of the case to slip a screwdriver in. Does anyone know how to
remove the case without damaging it, or how to remove the drive itself?

I have been to the Hp website and like all other aspects of HP--it is
useless. I use the computer because it was basically free, and I did a few
minor things to it and it now works great--unusual for an Hp... The link to
the PDF file containging instructions on part removal, and case removal was
a dead link--the pdf finished downloading, but there was nothing in it. I
can't seem to find an Html version anywhere, so does anyone have any
ideas--other than cutting or damaging the case, or throwing the entire
computer out--both are not an option........

Any help appreciated.

AG 12-17-2004 09:34 PM

Re: compaq question

If it's that hard to get it out either leave it there as a secondary or just
unplug it and abandon it in place.

AG
news:lKHwd.10873$Dv1.2041@bignews6.bellsouth.net.. .

Bum 12-17-2004 10:46 PM

Re: compaq question

"AG" <atenor@email.com> wrote in news:41c350f5$0$19030
$4c5eba9e@news.getnet.net:

> compaq presario

Which Presario? I may no the procedure ....

me 12-17-2004 11:22 PM

Re: compaq question

Model SR1103WM
Serial Number CNC430085f

It came from walmart. Abandoning it in place isn't an option. I need to
gain access and find the procedure for removal of the case to gain access.

Are there any special tools that HP or Compaq Technicians use to gain
access? I know they simply don't abandon, because they are going to have to
eventually replace one..so there has to be a way.

Bum 12-18-2004 12:07 AM

Re: compaq question

Here it the service manual from compaq, basically you need to remove the
side, the front, and lift tabs to slide the dive out.

Bum 12-18-2004 12:19 AM

Re: compaq question

Bum <Bum@bummer.org> wrote in news:Xns95C2C28A48C45Bumbummerorg@
24.24.2.166:

Patrick Michael 12-18-2004 04:06 AM

Re: compaq question

"Bum" <Bum@bummer.org> wrote in message
> Here it the service manual from compaq, basically you need to remove the
> side, the front, and lift tabs to slide the dive out.

You can't post attachments in this newsgroup. Most news servers are just
going to filter them out. Try e-mailing it to each other or something.

Bum 12-18-2004 05:05 AM

Re: compaq question

"Patrick Michael" <heismanpat@yahoo.com> wrote in

> "Bum" <Bum@bummer.org> wrote in message
>> Here it the service manual from compaq, basically you need to remove
>> the side, the front, and lift tabs to slide the dive out.

> You can't post attachments in this newsgroup. Most news servers are
> just going to filter them out. Try e-mailing it to each other or
> something.

Oops sorry. Did not mean to cause a problem.

Bum

Bum 12-18-2004 05:07 AM

Re: compaq question - File 1 of 1 - yEnc "c00225000.pdf" 10867562 bytes (28/28)

"me" <me@nospam.com> wrote in

> I could not read the file.
> "Bum" <Bum@bummer.org> wrote in message

Ok ... go to HP website and search for the model of the computer. It is
listed there I see.

Tapioca 12-18-2004 12:08 PM

Re: compaq question

me wrote:
> Model SR1103WM
> Serial Number CNC430085f
>
> It came from walmart. Abandoning it in place isn't an option. I
> need to gain access and find the procedure for removal of the case to
> gain access.
>
> Are there any special tools that HP or Compaq Technicians use to gain
> access? I know they simply don't abandon, because they are going to
> have to eventually replace one..so there has to be a way.
> "Bum" <Bum@bummer.org> wrote in message
>> "AG" <atenor@email.com> wrote in news:41c350f5$0$19030
>> $4c5eba9e@news.getnet.net:

You want this link for manuals

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/m...&lang=en&cc=us

--
Tapioca

If you have nothing to do, then do nothing and enjoy it!