Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Sequence of Events: looking for advice (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t663679-re-sequence-of-events-looking-for-advice.html)

«bonehead;\) 11-08-2004 07:33 PM

"Mark Mandell" <msmandl@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:ZXMjd.4835$_J2.1718@newsread2.news.atl.earthl ink.net...

> "smackedass" <nospamkema@capecod.net> wrote in message
> news:f0Kjd.4571$_J2.3133@newsread2.news.atl.earthl ink.net...
> > Hello,
> >
> > 1) Boss installs Service Pack 2 of XP Home Edition on her computer.
> >
> > 2) Norton AV 2003 gives her a message, indicating that auto-enable and
> > email
> > scanning aren't happening (though some of the services continue) . They
> > are
> > not allowed to be enabled, either, click on "Enable", and nothing

happens.
> > Cannot change these in safe mode, either.
> >
> > 3) I uninstalled SP2. Still can't enable the compromised services.
> >
> > 4) I go to the NAV site; am advised to uninstall/reinstall AV 2003.
> > Uninstall happens ok; when I go to re-install, it won't let me, says
> > something about some cab file is corrupted. Can't find the cab file on
> > the
> > AV disk, or on the HD.
> >
> > 5) Am directed to attempt to install from the HD; I copy files to the

HD,
> > attempt to install from the HD, still can't, still a cab file is
> > corrupted.
> >
> > 6) Back to the Symantec site...am directed to the MS site to download

the
> > Installer Repair/Cleanup utility. I downloaded and ran the utility;

still
> > can't install NAV 2003, same problem.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > smackedass

> Either the NAV uninstaller on the Symantec website or you might need to do

> complete manual uninstall involving the Registry(also explained on their
> website).

and seriously consider using a different AV that plays nice
when you actually work on the computer... www.grisoft.com
and it's free...
Norton is notorious for being a PITA...

--
<B0N3H3@D>

johan jansen 11-09-2004 08:48 AM

Re: Sequence of Events: looking for advice

Yeah Bonehead is right definatley consider using another AV as Norton is
nightmare to uninstall believe me I've tryed myself in the past seems to
leave half of its files still in the registry. As a free option also
consider using Avast home edition it's free and their are daily update's

Johan

news:tSPjd.20853$5b1.17746@newssvr17.news.prodigy. com...