Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Need help Toshiba Laptop (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t663494-re-need-help-toshiba-laptop.html)

AG 09-07-2004 06:39 PM

Re: Need help Toshiba Laptop

"StarCad" <starcad@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:ZY7%c.16$xA1.8@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.n et...
> Hi all, it's been awhile since I've been to this group.
>
> I need some help, I have a Toshiba Tecra 8200 P3 20 gig HD running Win98
>
> There is a bad sector ( long file name )on the hard drive preventing it

from
> booting. I've tried to replace the hard drive with a drive from Toshiba
> (supposed to be the same make and model ) but it will not recognize the

new
> drive.
>
> If I try to fdisk and reformat the old drive it says the boot sector

cannot
> be found and then asks to abort,retry,fail.
>
> Does Toshiba prevent me from reformatting this drive somehow? Why will it
> not recognize the new drive?
>
> Any help at this point would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks - Guy Fuller

In addition to all of the other good ideas already given there is one tool
that can almost always recover a disk from damage like this. It's called
SpinRite and it can fix almost anything as long as the drive can be
recovered at all.
You can find it for $89.00 at http://grc.com
There is also the fact that the drive may still be in warranty. Get the
numbers off of it and go the manufacturer's site to see.

AG

radical 09-08-2004 09:25 PM

Re: Need help Toshiba Laptop

"AG" <atenor@email.com> wrote in message

> "StarCad" <starcad@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:ZY7%c.16$xA1.8@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.n et...
>> Hi all, it's been awhile since I've been to this group.
>>
>> I need some help, I have a Toshiba Tecra 8200 P3 20 gig HD running Win98
>>
>> There is a bad sector ( long file name )on the hard drive preventing it

> from
>> booting. I've tried to replace the hard drive with a drive from Toshiba
>> (supposed to be the same make and model ) but it will not recognize the

> new
>> drive.
>>
>> If I try to fdisk and reformat the old drive it says the boot sector

> cannot
>> be found and then asks to abort,retry,fail.
>>
>> Does Toshiba prevent me from reformatting this drive somehow? Why will
>> it
>> not recognize the new drive?
>>
>> Any help at this point would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks - Guy Fuller

> In addition to all of the other good ideas already given there is one tool
> that can almost always recover a disk from damage like this. It's called
> SpinRite and it can fix almost anything as long as the drive can be
> recovered at all.
> You can find it for $89.00 at http://grc.com
> There is also the fact that the drive may still be in warranty. Get the
> numbers off of it and go the manufacturer's site to see.
>
> AG

I agree,I work for Toshiba and we use SpinRite on our in-house laptops as a
last resort.