Velocity Reviews

-   -   BIOS HELP (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t663386-bios-help.html)

Morphme 08-07-2004 01:34 AM

BIOS HELP

I have a Micron Client Pro Pentium II

Motherboard
Seattle PII 440BX ATX

Intel Chipset
Intel PCI Set
FW82371EB
L818TC57
SL2MY

This computer is about five years old I want to upgrade the BIOS and
OS.

The OS right now on the computer is Win 98 want to Upgrade to Win 2000
Pro.

I also wanted to know can I upgrade this computer to Win 2000 Pro?

I just wanted to know what would cause a BIOS upgrade to lock a
computer?

I'm getting ready for my A+ exams trying to get some experience.
==============

cc0275012 08-07-2004 03:20 AM

Re: BIOS HELP

Have you already upgraded the BIOS, and if you did how did you do it?

Patrick Michael 08-07-2004 05:52 AM

Re: BIOS HELP

"Morphme" <phishax@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> I have a Micron Client Pro Pentium II
>
> Motherboard
> Seattle PII 440BX ATX
>
> Intel Chipset
> Intel PCI Set
> FW82371EB
> L818TC57
> SL2MY
>
> This computer is about five years old I want to upgrade the BIOS and
> OS.
>
> The OS right now on the computer is Win 98 want to Upgrade to Win 2000
> Pro.
>
> I also wanted to know can I upgrade this computer to Win 2000 Pro?
>
> I just wanted to know what would cause a BIOS upgrade to lock a
> computer?
>
> I'm getting ready for my A+ exams trying to get some experience.
> ==============

Is there any particular reason for upgrading the BIOS? I don't usually
recommend doing it unless there's a specific reason.

cc0275012 08-07-2004 06:31 PM

Re: BIOS HELP

I always thought you should only flash new BIOS if that new BIOS addressed a
certain problem that you had?

Tom MacIntyre 08-07-2004 06:36 PM

Re: BIOS HELP

On 6 Aug 2004 21:34:14 -0400, phishax@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid
(Morphme) wrote:

>I have a Micron Client Pro Pentium II
>
>Motherboard
>Seattle PII 440BX ATX
>
>Intel Chipset
>Intel PCI Set
>FW82371EB
>L818TC57
>SL2MY
>
>This computer is about five years old I want to upgrade the BIOS and
>OS.

FYI...I had W2000 Pro and XP Pro in a dual boot on an ATrend AT-5200
with a K6-2/266 maxed out with 128M of RAM, purchased November, 1998.
XP was a bit sluggish, but no worse than 98SE, and W2000 was
considerably quicker, with far less physical memory in use (in other
words, far fewer slowdowns do to the system accessing the swapfile). I
didn't upgrade the BIOS. Your situation may be slightly different, and
you may have other reasons for upgrading the BIOS also, but the
chances are reasonably good that your system will be okay with W2k.

Tom

«bonehead;\) 08-08-2004 03:36 AM

Re: BIOS HELP

> It's possible that you could destroy a motherboard that way, but it
> takes only about 20 seconds to flash a BIOS, what are the chances of the
> power failing in any 20-second period? You are worrying about something
> that, while not impossible, is in a statistical probability category
> that also includes getting hit by lightening.
>

> Michael wrote:
>
> > Patrick Michael wrote:
> >
> >> Is there any particular reason for upgrading the BIOS? I don't usually
> >> recommend doing it unless there's a specific reason.

> > I'm a bit hesistant to flash mine, even if there are updated features.
> > Won't your box be fried if the power goes out during flashing?
> >
> > I don't have a UPS for one.
> >
> > michael

Call your electric company and ask them if they
plan any unexpected blackouts in the near future... j/k

<BONEHEAD>

Morphme 08-08-2004 05:34 AM

Re: BIOS HELP

I did some research online and there are no drivers for Mobo if I did
the Win 2000 Pro upgrade. Intel does not give support for upgraded OS
or driver issues for that OS.

So i guess that's out of the question I'll have to reinstall Win 98.

Thanks eveyone for the BIOS flash help. That was very funny bonehead
I'll check with the electric company.

The Intel Family Chipset SE 440 BX.

Pentium II

Processor speed 400MHz

Ram 96MB
==============

Tom MacIntyre 08-08-2004 03:31 PM

Re: BIOS HELP

On 8 Aug 2004 01:34:08 -0400, phishax@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid
(Morphme) wrote:

>I did some research online and there are no drivers for Mobo if I did
>the Win 2000 Pro upgrade. Intel does not give support for upgraded OS
>or driver issues for that OS.

If you mean the HCL, that is only MS's way of saying that they don't
necessarily support it. It doesn't necessarily mean that it won't
work. I have seen several instances where the HCL said no and it
worked anyway.

If you're doing a complete from scratch install, give 2k a try anyway,
if you already have the install disk.

Tom

«bonehead;\) 08-09-2004 04:07 AM

Re: BIOS HELP

"Tom MacIntyre" <tom__macintyre@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On 8 Aug 2004 01:34:08 -0400, phishax@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid
> (Morphme) wrote:
>
> >I did some research online and there are no drivers for Mobo if I did
> >the Win 2000 Pro upgrade. Intel does not give support for upgraded OS
> >or driver issues for that OS.

> If you mean the HCL, that is only MS's way of saying that they don't
> necessarily support it. It doesn't necessarily mean that it won't
> work. I have seen several instances where the HCL said no and it
> worked anyway.
>
> If you're doing a complete from scratch install, give 2k a try anyway,
> if you already have the install disk.
>
> Tom

You should give Win 2000 a shot with at least service pack 4... I have yet
to encounter
any set-up that had Win98 that W2K couldn't handle... If you do get stumped
by a driver
check your system wit Belarc Advisor or AIDA or Sandra for that matter

<<BONEHEAD>>

MF 08-10-2004 09:55 PM

Re: BIOS HELP

Answer to your whole post - if you expect to learn and to comp tech you need
to get more and provide more information.

Answer to your question about lockup after bios update: you did it wrong.
Used the wrong bios file, probably. Possibly (but not likely) used the
wrong flash program. Possible also not your fault but the fault of a power
flucuation during the upgrade. The original bios should have been saved in
the process of the upgrade. make sure you have the right flash executable
then flash back the origingal.

Answer to w2k - yes you can run it on your computer.

no, you don't need a bios upgrade for 2k.

It will run satisfactorily (even decently) on any P II of 300 mhz or better
with 128 megs of RAM or better. Preferably 256; preferably 512. The more
ram, the better 2K will run.

How do you upgrade it? Put in the W2K CD. Follow the directions.
You need to provide more info. Do you want to upgrade 98 or dual boot 98
and 2000? Well, I'll decide for you. You want to dual boot.

Put in the CD. Tell it you want to install 2k, you do not want to upgrade,
you want to do a clean installation on a different partition and you want to
pick the partition and you want to format it with fat 32. (You can change it
later). If you don't have another partition, make one. Do it ahead of time
with Partition Magic if you have insufficient unallocated (unpartitioned)
space; do it during installation with Win2K if you have plenty of free space
left on your harddrive. There you go, you're off and running. Sit there
and push buttons for about an hour and you're done.

However, without the info about what you want to do, that question is truly
unanswerable. So decide the answer to that question, then learn how to look
up the rest of the information. Don't ask here. If you say you want to be
a tech, they remove the internet from your house the second time you ask for
the answer to a question that you should look up.