Velocity Reviews

-   -   512M USB Flash Disk Loses Files (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t663381-512m-usb-flash-disk-loses-files.html)

David Nesbitt 08-03-2004 04:10 AM

512M USB Flash Disk Loses Files

While working to resolve my problems with IE and Norton Security, I
purchased
a 512M USB Flash disk to use to backup files as the PC that I had did not
have a R/W CD Burner.
I copied files from the appropriate folders to the Flash Disk, checked the
number of files that were copied against what was expected,
safetly disconnected the USB from the PC and plugged it into the other PC.

Lo and behold half the files disappeared from the flash disk.

As an example, if I take the Windows 2000 Program files folder and sub
folders and copy it to the Flash disk, 1915 files are listed as present
on the disk. The files even appear to be there. If I unplug and re-plug into
the same PC, The number of files goes down to 1676.

I determined which files were missing and was able to copy them in a
separate attempt. But this is very frustrating.

I have experienced this going from PIII-800 Windows XP to PIII-750 Windows
2K Pro, from PIII-750 Windows 2K Pro to
PIII-800 Windows XP, and from PIII-750 Windows 2K Pro to itself.

Do you have any ideas why this might happen ? As I really do not need a
flaky backup process, I will simply return it.

Thanks once more

David

Kenny 08-03-2004 07:58 AM

Re: 512M USB Flash Disk Loses Files

Are you properly stopping the device by double clicking the icon in System
Tray before physically removing it? If not this can cause data corruption
and loss.

--

Kenny

news:efEPc.1405386$Ar.236883@twister01.bloor.is.ne t.cable.rogers.com...

David Nesbitt 08-03-2004 01:48 PM

Re: 512M USB Flash Disk Loses Files

Before I remove the flash, I do go thru the process of stopping the it. A
message comes up
saying that it is safe to remove it. I can try again just to make sure .

david

David Nesbitt 08-03-2004 08:00 PM

Re: 512M USB Flash Disk Loses Files

Just an update.

I returned the item and was informed that they had been having problems with
this product

Thx

David

I returned the