Velocity Reviews

-   -   Maybe Dumb Questions (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t663339-maybe-dumb-questions.html)

yeabeer 07-22-2004 05:12 PM

Maybe Dumb Questions

I am a teacher at a private school that also supports our computer
network, and we just dumped DSL for a full T1. SBC installed a Cisco
1721 Router, that has (1) T1 port, (1) 10/100 LAN port. There is no
4-port switch module installed. It is configured with 5 static IP's.
SBC doesn't support DHCP on its leased equip.

I have it connected (temp) to a netgear DSL router/4-port switch which
is connected to a unmanaged 24-port switch which cascades to other
24-port switches (we have over 60 PC's in two buildings connected via
fiber) so I can have DHCP for all of the PC's. Everything is working
fine like this, but I have questions, SBC is no help.

1) If the LAN port on the Cisco is only 10/100, what's the point of
having a T1? Why doesn't it have a gigabit port? Am I missing a piece
of hardware?

2) I wan't to have a 24-port gigabit network for the computer lab and
our (2) servers. If I have to plug into the netgear DSL router just to
get DHCP at 10/100, how do I get gigabit speeds even with a 24-port
gigabit switch?

3) How do I use the other (4) IP addresses?

See, these may be dumb questions.

Thanks for your help.

Ray Kinsala

Also posted at alt.certification.network

yeabeer 07-22-2004 07:46 PM

Re: Maybe Dumb Questions

Thanks for your answer, I get it now. Yes, we got a donation to
upgrade our technology. The catch was that we had to get a T1. With
e-rate, we are only paying $300 per month for the T1. Before we were
paying $260 per month for SDSL with 5 static IP's. Well worth it IMOP.

Do you recommend any brand names for gigabit equip.?

yeabeer 07-22-2004 10:36 PM

Re: Maybe Dumb Questions

I want gigabit for future-proofing the lab, and also we have a
department of labor job training contract which calls for online
learning using streaming video and flash/shockwave software. With 24
lab pc's all being used at once, the DSL couldn't cut it. Also, the
school's principal wants to use the Cat6 and gigabit lab as a selling
point to get more students and a basis for increasing the tuition. :)

Solomon Kozanski 07-27-2004 12:10 PM

Re: Maybe Dumb Questions

all i can say is it's a good thing you're working for a private school. the
expense involved in this operation will actually be utilized to LEARN
something, unlike in pubic schools
--
Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill