Velocity Reviews

-   -   Windows XP (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t663228-windows-xp.html)

Paul Kersey 06-29-2004 02:37 PM

Windows XP

What would cause programs that had previously been removed from the start up
list in the system configuation Utility to be placed back in the start up
list?
Is this a sign of a virus? Machine may have been exposed, due to no
firewall for a period of time..... on a DSL line.
System Restore also proved to be ineffective.

Thanks,
PK

A+

Paul Kersey 06-29-2004 08:31 PM

Re: Windows XP

Owner did say that he had run adware and spyware removal. Have not actually
seen machine, only asked some questions about it by owner. He did say that
these were unwanted/unknown programs that were loading up.

He did say he kept Windows and Norton updated, however it is a family
machine and that Kazaa was being used....how much I don't know.

His son, 15, used the machine for some gaming, but didn't get the impression
he was all that knowledgeable about computing....just enough to be dangerous
I guess...

My first instinct was to tell him to format hard drive and reload OS. My
second instinct was to suggest he get the kids their own machine so that
they'd have to learn to deal with problems like this on their own machine,
without killing the family pc....

You fellas probably run into this senerio sometimes,...a friend or family
member finds out about your line of work and starts asking ?????'s about
some situation at home or work...that's what this is....

thanks,
PK
A+

Tom MacIntyre 06-30-2004 09:10 PM

Re: Windows XP

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 20:31:30 GMT, "Paul Kersey" <Paul Kersey@aol.com>
wrote:

>Owner did say that he had run adware and spyware removal. Have not actually
>seen machine, only asked some questions about it by owner. He did say that
>these were unwanted/unknown programs that were loading up.

A bit of friendly advice, which you may already be aware of. While it
is okay to accept the word of another for preliminary analysis, once
you get into the hands on, you must do whatever you would do from
scratch. Communication glitches is one of several reasons for this.

Tom