Velocity Reviews

-   -   IBM Aptiva wont boot,no beep,no POST? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t663161-ibm-aptiva-wont-boot-no-beep-no-post.html)

Joe 06-09-2004 08:44 PM

IBM Aptiva wont boot,no beep,no POST?

someone gave me a buggy IBM Aptiva E series, Model 2170,with XP,built
in 1999, should only have W98, as only 88mb ram,but I was able to
boot it, play with it.
All of a sudden, without my doing ANYTHING ,it now wont boot,no
beep,no POST(no keyd lights) but I hear HD reving up,fans on, CD doors
open, so what could be the problem?

changed the cable, and power cord into the HD,made sure everything
secure,but no picture, could the onboard integrated video have
blown,is there any fuse?

the IBM site is totally useless, as aptiva is discontinued

any ideas?

Tom MacIntyre 06-09-2004 09:18 PM

Re: IBM Aptiva wont boot,no beep,no POST?

On 9 Jun 2004 13:44:48 -0700, duah@hotmail.com (Joe) wrote:

>someone gave me a buggy IBM Aptiva E series, Model 2170,with XP,built
>in 1999, should only have W98, as only 88mb ram,but I was able to
>boot it, play with it.
>All of a sudden, without my doing ANYTHING ,it now wont boot,no
>beep,no POST(no keyd lights) but I hear HD reving up,fans on, CD doors
>open, so what could be the problem?
>
>changed the cable, and power cord into the HD,made sure everything
>secure,but no picture, could the onboard integrated video have
>blown,is there any fuse?

Not likely the problem...motherboard, CPU, RAM, and/or connections are
indicated.

>the IBM site is totally useless, as aptiva is discontinued
>
>any ideas?

Well, it's 5 years old. Strip it down to basics, reseat even the basic
connections. If you can borrow a POST card it may be worth a look.

Tom

Kenny 06-10-2004 12:34 AM

Re: IBM Aptiva wont boot,no beep,no POST?

Try changing the CMOS battery.

--

Kenny

news:2c04504f.0406091244.754da00a@posting.google.c om...

Tony 06-10-2004 04:18 AM

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 01:34:36 +0100, "Kenny" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>Try changing the CMOS battery.

If all of the above fail, try another power supply. No post usually points to the CPU or the
motherboard. If there is no (or bad) memory, there are usually beeps involved.

Tony

Joe 06-10-2004 11:20 PM

Re: IBM Aptiva wont boot,no beep,no POST?

I changed CMOS battery,thats not it,if fans,cd drives open it cant be PS can it?

Joe 06-11-2004 02:53 PM

Re: IBM Aptiva wont boot,no beep,no POST?

ok,i removed everything,dimms,HD,floppy,cables,PCI cards, there is no
beep,no screen,PS fan,mobo fans work, so i assume its motherboard?

A 06-11-2004 03:07 PM

Re: IBM Aptiva wont boot,no beep,no POST?

Hi - Check that the onboard speaker is connected or you won't hear POST beep
codes. I think I would fit a new graphics card.

A 06-12-2004 06:12 PM

Re: IBM Aptiva wont boot,no beep,no POST?

I bought a POST card reader on Ebay for 13 sterling and it works great.