Velocity Reviews

-   -   A+ Questions (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t663150-a-questions.html)

Joe Mamma 06-06-2004 05:09 AM

A+ Questions

Hello! For those of you that have recently taken the Core Exam, I would like
to ask whether you recall questions on desktop monitors or laptops. I'm
studying now and am curious about how much of the test addresses those
subjects. Thanks!

LM

Patrick Michael 06-06-2004 05:32 AM

Re: A+ Questions

"Joe Mamma" <jm@home.com> wrote in message
> Hello! For those of you that have recently taken the Core Exam, I would

like
> to ask whether you recall questions on desktop monitors or laptops. I'm
> studying now and am curious about how much of the test addresses those
> subjects. Thanks!

As far as CompTIA is concerned, repairing monitors is beyond the scope of
the A+ test. The only thing you really have to know is that they are very
dangerous. There are a lot of high voltage capacitors and the anode that
you could easily electrocute yourself with. Also know the basic
troubleshooting... (i.e. if you get no video signal, you'd probably try
another monitor to see if that's the problem..)

I think the most important part on laptops is to know your PCMCIA card
types, and their relative size/usual functions.

Joe Mamma 06-06-2004 10:00 AM

Re: A+ Questions

Thank you very much!

JM

PlazticSoul 06-08-2004 11:33 PM

Re: A+ Questions

> Re: "I think the most important part on laptops is to know your PCMCIA
> card types"
>
> I find that amusing, because they have not been "PCMCIA" cards since the
> mid 1990's. They are "PC Cards". PCMCIA is the name of the organization
> that sets the standards, NOT the name of the cards.

I remember the term from Mike Meyers' book which is not surprising since he
likes to teach things from a historical perspective. It doesn't matter
whether it's "PC Cards" or "PCMCIA cards" since I assume most people will be
able to make the association when encountering such a question on the exam.
Sure, you could get poked fun at in the real world by anal techs, but for
the passing the tests, it's really not a big deal what you know it as.

PlazticSoul 06-08-2004 11:38 PM

Re: A+ Questions

"Joe Mamma" <jm@home.com> wrote in message
> Hello! For those of you that have recently taken the Core Exam, I would
> like
> to ask whether you recall questions on desktop monitors or laptops. I'm
> studying now and am curious about how much of the test addresses those
> subjects. Thanks!
>
> LM

The only things I bothered to learn for the tests about laptops are the PC
card types (Type I for flash memory, Type II for I/O, and Type III for hard
drives) and the battery types (nickel cadmium, nickel metal hyrdide, and
lithium ion). For monitors, you are not expected to know every detail and
certainly not expected to know how to fix them, but you should have a basic
understanding of how they work, both CRT and LCD.

Tom MacIntyre 06-09-2004 09:02 PM

Re: A+ Questions

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 18:33:21 -0500, "PlazticSoul"
<plazticsoul@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Re: "I think the most important part on laptops is to know your PCMCIA
>> card types"
>>
>> I find that amusing, because they have not been "PCMCIA" cards since the
>> mid 1990's. They are "PC Cards". PCMCIA is the name of the organization
>> that sets the standards, NOT the name of the cards.
>>

>I remember the term from Mike Meyers' book which is not surprising since he
>likes to teach things from a historical perspective. It doesn't matter
>whether it's "PC Cards" or "PCMCIA cards" since I assume most people will be
>able to make the association when encountering such a question on the exam.
>Sure, you could get poked fun at in the real world by anal techs, but for
>the passing the tests, it's really not a big deal what you know it as.

It's hard for me to remember, but I think "the" test was still
referring to PCMCIA in 2000. Any recent testees remember, without
violating the NDA?

Tom

Patrick Michael 06-09-2004 09:10 PM

Re: A+ Questions

"Tom MacIntyre" <tom__macintyre@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> It's hard for me to remember, but I think "the" test was still
> referring to PCMCIA in 2000. Any recent testees remember, without
> violating the NDA?

I believe it referred to them as "PC Cards", but I can't really remember.
My use of PCMCIA comes from reading Meyer's book. ;)