Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: What Ever Happened To 'X Windows'? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t663142-re-what-ever-happened-to-x-windows.html)

AG 06-04-2004 04:56 PM

"Richard Ballard" <rball84213@aol.com> wrote in message
news:20040603184125.06606.00000271@mb-m01.aol.com...
> In the early 1990's I was involved in a development project
> investigating the commercial market for 'X Windows' terminals.
> 'X Windows' was a GUI interface for UNIX systems being
> developed under the GNU Open License by a consortium
> led by MIT. We looked both at (dumb) hardware implementations
> for client terminals and also at software emulators that could
> be run on 8-MHz PC ATs, the PC technology then available.
>
> I have not heard of 'X Windows' in years. Did this technology
> ever mature for use with UNIX (or Linux)? My own UNIX
> experience has been with a(n emulated) VT-100 textual interface.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Richard Ballard MSEE CNA4 KD0AZ
> RBall84213@aol.com
> --
> Consultant specializing in computer networks, imaging and security
> Listed as rjballard in "Friends & Favorites" at www.amazon.com
> SALES
> P.O. Box 2609
> Saint Louis MO 63116-0609
> United States
> (314) 776-2799 (days & emergencies -- telephone only, no voice mail)
>
> Richard Ballard MSEE CNA4 KD0AZ
> --
> Consultant specializing in computer networks, imaging & security
> Listed as rjballard in "Friends & Favorites" at www.amazon.com
> Last book review: "Guerrilla Television" by Michael Shamberg

OK I'll give you a real answer. X Windows is alive and well and working
quite well in almost every version of Linux or Unix. There are some newer
GUI environments that have gone much farther than X Windows called KDE and
Gnome. X Windows is still available in all of the Linux distributions that
I have installed which include RedHat, Debian and Mandrake. It's not used
much except on computers that are just too old and slow to run one of the
newer and more modern GUIs.
I have run it on an old laptop that I put RH 7.3 on because neither of the
others would start on that P166. It worked OK but I had other problems with
getting a network card to work and wiped it for Win98.
AG

AG 06-07-2004 05:13 PM

"SchroedingerzKat" <schroedingerzkat@aol.com> wrote in message
> >OK I'll give you a real answer. X Windows is alive and well and working
> >quite well in almost every version of Linux or Unix. There are some

newer
> >GUI environments that have gone much farther than X Windows called KDE

and
> >Gnome. X Windows is still available in all of the Linux distributions

that
> >I have installed which include RedHat, Debian and Mandrake. It's not

used
> >much except on computers that are just too old and slow to run one of the
> >newer and more modern GUIs.
> >I have run it on an old laptop that I put RH 7.3 on because neither of

the
> >others would start on that P166. It worked OK but I had other problems

with
> >getting a network card to work and wiped it for Win98.
> >AG

> I'll add that the BSD's and Unix also use X. And you can use Cygwin and

have
> an X server/client on windows as well.
>
> You typically add a window manager, I often use IceWM or Windowmaker. You

can
> also go for a (bloated) full desktop environment like KDE or Gnome.
>
> Michael

I use KDE on my Linux testing box. There are some things I like such as the
desktop switching with 4 separate desktops. Other than that I'm really
pretty neutral as to which one I use.
AG