Velocity Reviews

-   -   Alternate Study Materials any Recommendations? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t663086-alternate-study-materials-any-recommendations.html)

Bill Jones 05-25-2004 02:07 AM

Alternate Study Materials any Recommendations?

I took the OS exam the other day and didn't make it. I used Mike Myers
All-in-One A+ Certification Exam Guide 5th edition for the text and
the practice exams included with it. I was achieving over 80% on all
the exams from that book. I also used all 15 practice tests from
freecomptia.com and was achieving 80%-100% on all 15 tests there. I
went into the exam more confident then I did in the Core Hardware exam
(which I passed no problem). I found about half the questions on the
OS exam to come out of left field. I would read the question and have
no recollection as to have ever read anything along those lines. I
found my self having to guess far too often.

So with that said, I was wonder what you all might recommend for
additional or alternative study material? What did you use to pass the
current OS exam and most importantly, did you find it comprehensive
and closely related to the actual exam?

Thanks

Patrick Michael 05-25-2004 04:12 PM

Re: Alternate Study Materials any Recommendations?

"Bill Jones" <abconline@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:8e0fc18c.0405241807.747deffe@posting.google.c om...
> I took the OS exam the other day and didn't make it. I used Mike Myers
> All-in-One A+ Certification Exam Guide 5th edition for the text and
> the practice exams included with it. I was achieving over 80% on all
> the exams from that book. I also used all 15 practice tests from
> freecomptia.com and was achieving 80%-100% on all 15 tests there. I
> went into the exam more confident then I did in the Core Hardware exam
> (which I passed no problem). I found about half the questions on the
> OS exam to come out of left field. I would read the question and have
> no recollection as to have ever read anything along those lines. I
> found my self having to guess far too often.
>
> So with that said, I was wonder what you all might recommend for
> additional or alternative study material? What did you use to pass the
> current OS exam and most importantly, did you find it comprehensive
> and closely related to the actual exam?

http://www.techexams.net has some wonderful "technotes" and a great practice
test that you can use for free. That and the Mike Meyers book was all I
used to pass, and I passed pretty easily.

The best advice I can give for the OS exam is to sit in front of your
computer and actually practice everything...all the shortcuts, all the
command switches, all the MMC Shells (Event Viewer, Device Manager,
Performance Monitor, etc.), and the other things like Recovery Console. It
takes a while to do, but that is the only way to really learn the material.