Velocity Reviews

-   -   question about Hard Drive space in windows (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t663080-question-about-hard-drive-space-in-windows.html)

oioi 05-23-2004 01:42 PM

question about Hard Drive space in windows

anyone know why my 300gb drive only shows up as a 280gb drive in windows?

I have tried formatting it a couple times and checking the disk management
to make sure there is no unallocated space etc. But somewhere it seems Im
missing 20gb.

any ideas?

Thanks

PlazticSoul 05-24-2004 03:09 AM

Re: question about Hard Drive space in windows

"oioi" <mr_anderson@speed-mail.co.uk> wrote in message
news:40b0aa38$0$2113$afc38c87@auth.uk.news.easynet .net...
> anyone know why my 300gb drive only shows up as a 280gb drive in windows?
>
> I have tried formatting it a couple times and checking the disk management
> to make sure there is no unallocated space etc. But somewhere it seems Im
> missing 20gb.
>
> any ideas?
>
> Thanks

I have no answers for you, except that I rarely come across hard drives with
the exact amount of advertised space. 20GB raises a few eyebrows though,
since that's a lot of space to have missing! I'd be curious to know what
your BIOS says. Does it report anything different than what Windows is
telling you about the drive?

PlazticSoul 05-24-2004 03:14 AM

"Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
> oioi wrote:
>
> > anyone know why my 300gb drive only shows up as a 280gb drive in

windows?

> > I have tried formatting it a couple times and checking the disk

management
> > to make sure there is no unallocated space etc. But somewhere it seems

Im
> > missing 20gb.

> First, It's GB, not gb. There is a very significant difference between
> "b"(its) and "B"(ytes) when it comes to computers.
>
> Hard drive manufacturers consider a Gigabyte to be 1,000,000,000 bytes.
> Operating systems consider a Gigabyte to be 1,073,741,824 bytes.
> There's your 20GB.
>

> -WD

Wow, somewhere when studying for A+ Core I must have missed that bit of
information. I knew a GB wasn't exactly 1,000,000,000 bytes like average
people assume, and therefore space is always presumed "missing" on every
drive, but I didn't realize the manufacturors perpetuate the idea! Good
thing that wasn't on the test for me :)

PlazticSoul 05-24-2004 03:22 AM

"PlazticSoul" <plazticsoul@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "oioi" <mr_anderson@speed-mail.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:40b0aa38$0$2113$afc38c87@auth.uk.news.easynet .net...
> > anyone know why my 300gb drive only shows up as a 280gb drive in

windows?

> > I have tried formatting it a couple times and checking the disk

management
> > to make sure there is no unallocated space etc. But somewhere it seems

Im
> > missing 20gb.
> >
> > any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> I have no answers for you, except that I rarely come across hard drives

with
> the exact amount of advertised space. 20GB raises a few eyebrows though,
> since that's a lot of space to have missing! I'd be curious to know what
> your BIOS says. Does it report anything different than what Windows is
> telling you about the drive?

Bah, please disregard this post. I just assumed 20gb was an unusually large
amount. I failed to actually do the math. I am used to my tiny 80gb drive :)