Velocity Reviews

-   -   Windows 95 clean install vs. upgrade (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t663069-windows-95-clean-install-vs-upgrade.html)

news.verizon.net 05-19-2004 04:22 PM

Windows 95 clean install vs. upgrade

Working on writing some A+ tutorials.

Some books say Windows 95 can only be installed as an upgrade from DOS or an
earlier Windows version. But Microsoft's website seems to say that it can be
installed on a clean system.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q138349

Anybody know the answer?

MANY THANX TO ANYBODY WHO CAN HELP!

AG 05-19-2004 04:53 PM

Re: Windows 95 clean install vs. upgrade

You can't just stick the CD into a Win95 computer and boot it up and
install. You would always need to fdisk and format first using DOS. There
are also different versions of Win95. Version A only works on Fat16 so can
only support up to 2 gigs on a partition. B and C both support Fat32 for
which I don't remember the limit but we haven't reached it yet in drive
sizes.
You do not, however, have to install DOS 6.22 first to install Win95 or
anything like that. I sold hundreds of 486 Win95 computers a few years ago
for $99.99 without installing DOS on any of them first.
Also a Win95 CD won't boot like a Win98 one will.
AG

AG 05-20-2004 05:56 PM

"Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
> AG wrote:
> > Also a Win95 CD won't boot like a Win98 one will.

> A standard Win98 CD is not bootable either. None of the Win9x (through
> WinMe) discs are.
>
> It is possible to make *custom* bootable versions of the discs, however.
>

> -WD

Strange. Even the Win98 upgrade that I have is bootable. All of the ones I
have seen were bootable.
AG

Stephen OnlineŠ 05-20-2004 10:04 PM

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...%40cppssbbsa03

| > -WD
|
| Distrust anything said by a Most Valuable Prostitute.
|
| I have the first two in that list. Both bootable. There may be unbootable
| versions, but I've never seen one that wouldn't boot from cdrom. I don't
| currently have an SE install or disk to compare versions, but have booted
| from cd many times installing for coustomers. The last two aren't OS'es.

My Win98 Upgrade CD-ROM is not bootable. In order to make use of it I need a
boot floppy with CD-ROM support.

Stephen OnlineŠ

Stephen OnlineŠ 05-20-2004 10:06 PM

"AG" <atenor@email.com> wrote in message

| "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
| > AG wrote:
| > > Also a Win95 CD won't boot like a Win98 one will.
| >
| > A standard Win98 CD is not bootable either. None of the Win9x (through
| > WinMe) discs are.
| >
| > It is possible to make *custom* bootable versions of the discs, however.
| >

| > -WD
|
| Strange. Even the Win98 upgrade that I have is bootable. All of the ones
| have seen were bootable.
| AG

When did you aquire the CD-ROM? Maybe later copies were bootable. I have an
original 'upgrade' retail version that I got pretty early on and it is not
bootable.

Stephen OnlineŠ

AG 05-20-2004 10:29 PM

"Stephen OnlineŠ" <newsgroup@only.please> wrote in message
news:HZ9rc.81968$Zxc.35661@news04.bloor.is.net.cab le.rogers.com...
> "AG" <atenor@email.com> wrote in message
> |
> | "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
> | >
> | > A standard Win98 CD is not bootable either. None of the Win9x

(through
> | > WinMe) discs are.
> | >
> | > It is possible to make *custom* bootable versions of the discs,

however.

> | > -WD
> |
> | Strange. Even the Win98 upgrade that I have is bootable. All of the

ones
> | have seen were bootable.
> | AG
> |

> When did you aquire the CD-ROM? Maybe later copies were bootable. I have

an
> original 'upgrade' retail version that I got pretty early on and it is not
> bootable.
>
> Stephen OnlineŠ

I'm really not sure. I think I got it in a stack of disks and licenses that
I got from my dad after he retired several years ago. I haven't used it in
years as far as I can remember and I could be wrong about it but I the last
time I left it in the CD ROM drive it and rebooted it started running setup
on reboot, NOT what I wanted.

AG

Stephen OnlineŠ 05-21-2004 12:40 AM

Re: Windows 95 clean install vs. upgrade

What I think happens is that people pop the CD-ROM in the drive while
running a previous version of Windows .. it collects info, does it thing
then causes a reboot. When the computer reboots it starts upgrading. But the
computer hadn't booted from the CD-ROM rather from setup files put on the
harddrive *before* the reboot. Just a guess, though.

--

| "Stephen OnlineŠ" <newsgroup@only.please> wrote in message
| news:HZ9rc.81968$Zxc.35661@news04.bloor.is.net.cab le.rogers.com...
| > "AG" <atenor@email.com> wrote in message
| > |
| > | "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message

| (through

| however.

| > |
| > | Strange. Even the Win98 upgrade that I have is bootable. All of the
| ones
| > | have seen were bootable.
| > | AG
| > |
| > |

Stephen OnlineŠ 05-21-2004 05:39 PM

| "Stephen OnlineŠ" <newsgroup@only.please> wrote in message
| news:6ecrc.96358$0qd.82095@twister01.bloor.is.net. cable.rogers.com...
| > What I think happens is that people pop the CD-ROM in the drive while
| > running a previous version of Windows .. it collects info, does it thing
| > then causes a reboot. When the computer reboots it starts upgrading. But
| the
| > computer hadn't booted from the CD-ROM rather from setup files put on
the
| > harddrive *before* the reboot. Just a guess, though.
| >
| > --
|
| Well..no, we were reffering to booting from a cdrom.

And the Win98 CD-ROM is not bootable. Mine isn't that's for sure, but mine's
an original retail upgrade version. What I was trying to say was the some
people might be mistaking the install routine for a bootable CD-ROM when, in
fact, the install routine boots from files put on the harddrive already.

--
Stephen OnlineŠ

PlazticSoul 05-23-2004 01:19 AM

Re: Windows 95 clean install vs. upgrade

"Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
> AG wrote:
> > Also a Win95 CD won't boot like a Win98 one will.

> A standard Win98 CD is not bootable either. None of the Win9x (through
> WinMe) discs are.
>
> It is possible to make *custom* bootable versions of the discs, however.
>

> -WD

Windows ME is bootable from the CD

PlazticSoul 06-01-2004 11:52 PM

"SchroedingerzKat" <schroedingerzkat@aol.com> wrote in message
> >Windows ME is bootable from the CD

> I just download several from web as backup discs. My ME is bootable, my
> 95 and
> 98 (FE) are not. My 98 SE restore CD is bootable.
>
> Michael

I agree. Boot disks are easy to find online. I have backups for every
Windows version, whether I need it or not....... just in case the system I
am working on doesn't allow booting to CD's. Thankfully, these instances
don't come up very often anymore, but the disks are always good to have ;)