Velocity Reviews

-   -   PC will only boot up sometimes (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t663032-pc-will-only-boot-up-sometimes.html)

Pete 05-11-2004 12:47 PM

PC will only boot up sometimes

I have a computer (p4 256ram) which only boots now and again you have to
press the reset button two or more times to get it to work !

I first thought it might be the Video Card so i changed for a working one.
But I still have the same trouble

Anyone got any ideas ??

Pete

Patrick Michael 05-11-2004 06:49 PM

Re: PC will only boot up sometimes

"Pete" <emailpete@no.spam.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:FX3oc.20917$2a3.2057@pathologist.blueyonder.n et...
> I have a computer (p4 256ram) which only boots now and again you have to
> press the reset button two or more times to get it to work !
>
> I first thought it might be the Video Card so i changed for a working one.
> But I still have the same trouble
>
> Anyone got any ideas ??
>
> Pete

First thing I'd check is the power supply. After that, it might be a
"degredation failure" as the result of ESD, meaning the motherboard or some
component on it will only work *some* of the time.

When you say it doesn't boot, do you mean it doesn't power up at all? Or
does it get to the POST and then fail?

Pete 05-11-2004 11:59 PM

Re: PC will only boot up sometimes

I mean it will post but does not go in VGA mode

not sure of ESD because been very careful there

I think it's the board now

I have removed the EDI cables from both the HDD and the CD rom's

and still the still result

checked the ram and that works

running out of ideas now ! Must be the board

Please help

Pete
Still waiting for college to set up A+ exam

David Hough 05-12-2004 09:41 AM

Re: PC will only boot up sometimes

Start swapping things out, Pete. PS,Hard drive, system bd, even kbd.
You'll find your answer. Dave

Pete 05-12-2004 11:12 AM

Re: PC will only boot up sometimes

I now belive its the hard drive...