Velocity Reviews

-   -   Supplying Windows to Customers (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t662971-supplying-windows-to-customers.html)

sAxmAn 04-24-2004 01:54 AM

Supplying Windows to Customers

I've been in the business of building bespoke PC's for customers for a
couple of years. Never had a serious complaint about any machine I've built
so far, but folks often expect me to provide a copy of Windows loaded on the
system. Since I don't like to deal in pirated OS's, this means I need to get
a fresh copy for each customer. This adds considerably to the cost of the
PC as XPpro or 2kpro costs around 100 ($200USD) at the very cheapest for an
OEM copy from an online store.

Customers do not understand the benefit of owning their own OS disk, and
often complain that systems from high street shops come with an OS loaded
(although no disk is supplied).

So, my question is, how do I fix it so that I can legally load an OS onto
the new machines I build, without supplying a fresh OS disk to each
customer?

Edward A. Weissbard 04-24-2004 02:04 AM

Re: Supplying Windows to Customers

Test

Chris L 04-24-2004 02:54 AM

Re: Supplying Windows to Customers

You don't. Supply them with their very own disk, adjust your price
accordingly. Or install linux and let them figure it out. Stay legal and
legit.

--
Chris L

davemeek 04-24-2004 02:57 AM

Re: Supplying Windows to Customers

"sAxmAn" <heathsquare@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've been in the business of building bespoke PC's for customers for a
> couple of years. Never had a serious complaint about any machine I've

built
> so far, but folks often expect me to provide a copy of Windows loaded on

the
> system. Since I don't like to deal in pirated OS's, this means I need to

get
> a fresh copy for each customer. This adds considerably to the cost of the
> PC as XPpro or 2kpro costs around 100 ($200USD) at the very cheapest for

an
> OEM copy from an online store.
>
> Customers do not understand the benefit of owning their own OS disk, and
> often complain that systems from high street shops come with an OS loaded
> (although no disk is supplied).
>
> So, my question is, how do I fix it so that I can legally load an OS onto
> the new machines I build, without supplying a fresh OS disk to each
> customer?

I'm not sure that you can...I was under the impression that you as the
builder and seller had to buy a license from Microsoft to load the OS on any
given system. I think that you never REALLY own the software, you just pay
for the right to install and use said software on a single system, (or a
separate license for each individual system it is installed on). I have
never checked but I presume that the individual licenses are fairly
inexpensive because you are selling the systems the software is going on.
Read all the print on the certificate you get with the OS. The information
will also be in the 'preload' contract that you will have to click "okay" to
before the os will be installed. You can probably get in touch directly with
Microsoft and inquire them about your intentions. Even though MS brings in
more profit that most country's GNP annually, they STILL crave your
business. Give 'em a call!!

davemeek

sAxmAn 04-24-2004 03:27 AM

Re: Supplying Windows to Customers

Sorry, perhaps I didn't make myself clear. The biggest and most reputable
computer shops, will sell a computer with the OS loaded, but not supply the
disk( They will supply a restore disk though in case things go wrong.) They
will advertise on national TV that such their systems come loaded with (say)
windows XP Home.

Clearly, this is a legitimate enterprise. I just want to know how it's all
agreed.

Geoff 04-24-2004 01:31 PM

sAxmAn wrote:
> Sorry, perhaps I didn't make myself clear. The biggest and most
> reputable computer shops, will sell a computer with the OS loaded,
> but not supply the disk( They will supply a restore disk though in
> case things go wrong.) They will advertise on national TV that such
> their systems come loaded with (say) windows XP Home.
>
> Clearly, this is a legitimate enterprise. I just want to know how
> it's all agreed.

there are different versions of cd's which i think are basicly
corp edition
oem edition
retail edition

the corp one doens't need activation, microsoft trusts the dealer (like dell
or something like that), and the dealer buys in bulk anyway
the oem ones are for dealers that m$ don't trust/havn't done any deals with,
you buy copys thru trade channels for your business
retail ones are high street stores

the oem ones need activation, and are tied rather heavy to the hardware,
change too much hardware in that pc, and it won't activate, you have to do a
phone activation in this case

retail are same as oem i think, apart from they cost twice as much :)

Chris L 04-24-2004 02:16 PM

Re: Supplying Windows to Customers

Then buy bulk licenses from MS

--
Chris L

Chris L 04-24-2004 02:17 PM

Re: Supplying Windows to Customers

That's right. You just "rent" the software from MS.

--
Chris L

Geoff 04-24-2004 03:07 PM

Barry Watzman wrote:
> The corp. version is not sold to a firm that resells computers (such
> as Dell). Rather, it's for firms (like General Motors) that have
> hundreds
> to millions of PCs in their own firm. It's for use on their own PCs
> only, never to be put on a PC that will be owned by any entity other
> than the corporation that licenses it directly from Microsoft.
>
> There are several variants of "OEM" licenses. Some (for small OEMs)
> are intended for resale as individual copies, but only with hardware.
> Some
> don't do activation but are tied to the BIOS (of large OEMs).

mm ya sorry my bad, i'm use to calling the preactivated version corp version
hehe
the only version he can really buy is oem, or retail ones really though
ahh stuff it, dam m$ activation crap....:)

mjohns2 04-24-2004 03:36 PM

Re: Supplying Windows to Customers

There are still places that will sell you Win98. Buy that, let them upgrade
it themselves.... Or better yet. Tell them to bring in there own Win CD and
you'll install and "configure" it for them for free.