Velocity Reviews

-   -   Win XP Home Ed. HP Pavilion Recovery ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t662690-win-xp-home-ed-hp-pavilion-recovery.html)

ChrisW 02-22-2004 11:47 PM

Win XP Home Ed. HP Pavilion Recovery ?

A friend called me today and asked for some help. She had been on the phone with
Hp for two hours before she called. Here is the problem.

She turned on her machine this morning and got the following msg "Windows could
not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
\Windows\system32\Hal.Dll".

She then tried to go into safe mode and got the same reply. She then decided to
use the recovery disk and do a recovery. This did not work. She then called HP
and they had her do the same things she already had done. Same results. The the
HP Tech said to do a reformat, which she did and it was having problems
extracting certain files and it did not help. This is when the tech gave up and
told her he did not know what else to do except bring it into a HP service
center, which we are several hours away from. This is when she called me.

There was no way I could get it into safe mode, but I was able to get the HD
reformatted using the HP disks, but when I went and rebooted the system a
different file was missing. "Windows could not start because the following file
is missing or corrupt \Windows\Inf\Biosinfo.inf"

This time I just did a recovery and none of the files in the INF folder would
extract. I am getting ready to do another reformat, but wanted some input first
if there is something else I should do.

Thanks for your help

ChrisW

ChrisW 02-23-2004 03:01 AM

Re: Win XP Home Ed. HP Pavilion Recovery ?

To anyone interested. It is fixed. I do not know what caused the problem, but
one of the problems to fix it was that one of the recovery disks had bad files
on it. I was able to get copies of the files and made a new disk and then
reformated the hard drive and everything is working fine.

I would love to know what caused the problem in the first place, but will
probably never find out.

Thanks for the email Bill. It was a help and let me know I was going in the
right direction and CONGRATS!!! on passing. I hope to do the same in a few months.

Thanks
Chris

Tony 02-23-2004 06:21 AM

Re: Win XP Home Ed. HP Pavilion Recovery ?

Glad to hear it all worked out. When it first happened, couldnt you have booted into the Last Known
Good Configuration? How about booting into the XP CD and run the Recovery Console. Anyway, congrats
on fixing the problem. I dont see how restoring the computer would not work.

Tony

Tom MacIntyre 02-23-2004 08:59 PM

Re: Win XP Home Ed. HP Pavilion Recovery ?

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 18:47:12 -0500, ChrisW <newsgroups1@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>A friend called me today and asked for some help. She had been on the phone with
>Hp for two hours before she called. Here is the problem.
>
>She turned on her machine this morning and got the following msg "Windows could
>not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
>\Windows\system32\Hal.Dll".
>
>She then tried to go into safe mode and got the same reply. She then decided to
>use the recovery disk and do a recovery. This did not work. She then called HP
>and they had her do the same things she already had done. Same results. The the
>HP Tech said to do a reformat, which she did and it was having problems
>extracting certain files and it did not help. This is when the tech gave up and
>told her he did not know what else to do except bring it into a HP service
>center, which we are several hours away from. This is when she called me.
>
>There was no way I could get it into safe mode, but I was able to get the HD
>reformatted using the HP disks, but when I went and rebooted the system a
>different file was missing. "Windows could not start because the following file
>is missing or corrupt \Windows\Inf\Biosinfo.inf"
>
>This time I just did a recovery and none of the files in the INF folder would
>extract. I am getting ready to do another reformat, but wanted some input first
>if there is something else I should do.
>
>Thanks for your help
>
>ChrisW

Go to the HP site and do a search for hal.dll. It's been awhile, but
if I recall correctly that was a relatively well-documented problem
with HP tech support. I can't remember exactly, but I think there was
some strange trick involving removing power at a particular point in
the boot sequence; again, it's been awhile, so I'm not sure

Tom

ChrisW 02-24-2004 02:56 AM

Re: Win XP Home Ed. HP Pavilion Recovery ?

I do not understand why a normal recovery would not work either. You could not
boot into anything except the recovery CDs and then it would only let you do so
much, that was one of the problems. I did find out that two of her friends just
had the same thing happen and it turns out that it all started after they
received the same email. So I guess it was a virus. One of her friends son is a
computer nerd and has his own shop so he brought it into work and is suppose to
call me Tuesday when he finds out what caused it.

ChrisW
P.S Thanks again to all! Great News Group

ChrisW 02-24-2004 02:57 AM

Re: Win XP Home Ed. HP Pavilion Recovery ?

Thanks. I will take a look. It is fixed for now and some other friends of hers
are now having the same problem, but I will go look.

ChrisW

Syphillus 02-24-2004 06:59 AM

"ChrisW" <newsgroups1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks. I will take a look. It is fixed for now and some other friends of

hers
> are now having the same problem, but I will go look.
>
> ChrisW
>

> Tom MacIntyre wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 18:47:12 -0500, ChrisW <newsgroups1@hotmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >

> >>A friend called me today and asked for some help. She had been on the

phone with
> >>Hp for two hours before she called. Here is the problem.
> >>
> >>She turned on her machine this morning and got the following msg

"Windows could
> >>not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
> >>\Windows\system32\Hal.Dll".
> >>
> >>She then tried to go into safe mode and got the same reply. She then

decided to
> >>use the recovery disk and do a recovery. This did not work. She then

called HP
> >>and they had her do the same things she already had done. Same results.

The the
> >>HP Tech said to do a reformat, which she did and it was having problems
> >>extracting certain files and it did not help. This is when the tech gave

up and
> >>told her he did not know what else to do except bring it into a HP

service
> >>center, which we are several hours away from. This is when she called

me.

> >>There was no way I could get it into safe mode, but I was able to get

the HD
> >>reformatted using the HP disks, but when I went and rebooted the system

> >>different file was missing. "Windows could not start because the

following file
> >>is missing or corrupt \Windows\Inf\Biosinfo.inf"
> >>
> >>This time I just did a recovery and none of the files in the INF folder

would
> >>extract. I am getting ready to do another reformat, but wanted some

input first
> >>if there is something else I should do.
> >>
> >>Thanks for your help

The sweet sound of money..........:}
You are going after those other potential cusyomers right????

--
Syphillus

Prince_of_percia 12-10-2010 08:00 AM

corrupt Windows \ System32 \ Hal.dl

Hello,

This error can occur if the System32 hal.dll in your system is missing or corrupt.

I was facing the same problem some days ago.

Then my Bro referred me to a website, and I got a solution from there...

Just try that website and follow the steps. May be you get some positive response from there...

Here is the URL:-

http://www.completepcpedia.com/file_missing.html

:top: :top: :top: :top: :top: