Velocity Reviews

-   -   XP and graphics card prob. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t662569-xp-and-graphics-card-prob.html)

FredG 01-25-2004 08:59 PM

XP and graphics card prob.

Hi.

I have two hard drive caddies - Win98SE in one, and WinXP Pro in the
other. Up until a couple of days ago I used an Ati Radeon 9200 256Mb
graphics card with no problems from either operating system.

I "upgraded" to an Ati Radeon 8500 128Mb and although my Win98SE
installation works fine, XP will not fire up. I see the XP splash
screen, then my monitor dies, showing me the message "Attention:
Signal frequency is out of range please change signal timing". The
keyboard does not respond either.

Previously when I've seen this message it's been when I've attempted
to set to high a refresh rate whilst using 98. I've launched the safe
mode of XP but cannot see anywhere to alter the refresh setting.

I've looked in BIOS and altered the AGP aperture size to 128 (was
previously set at 256 - assumed this was necessary as my 9200 card
would only work if this read 256) but it still refuses to fire up.

System specs are as above, plus an XP2200 CPU, Syntax SV266a mobo,
512Mb PC133 ram. Win98Se hard drive is a 60Gb Seagate, XP is on a 40Gb
Maxtor.

A clean install of XP on a spare hard drive it works fine – no
errors or faults at all. This would lead me to assume the fault lies
in a setting somewhere on my XP drive. Question is, where?

Would anyone kindly tell me how to get my XP drive functioning again
please? Also/alternatively, would anyone point me in the direction of
a site that would give me the info/software necessary in order to
flash my 9200 into something that works a little faster.

Thanks.

Ghost 01-25-2004 11:39 PM

Re: XP and graphics card prob.

In article <20005f81.0401251259.2d7e77e4@posting.google.com >,
crudfree@hotmail.com (FredG) wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I have two hard drive caddies - Win98SE in one, and WinXP Pro in the
> other. Up until a couple of days ago I used an Ati Radeon 9200 256Mb
> graphics card with no problems from either operating system.
>
> I "upgraded" to an Ati Radeon 8500 128Mb and although my Win98SE
> installation works fine, XP will not fire up. I see the XP splash
> screen, then my monitor dies, showing me the message "Attention:
> Signal frequency is out of range please change signal timing". The
> keyboard does not respond either.
>
> Previously when I've seen this message it's been when I've attempted
> to set to high a refresh rate whilst using 98. I've launched the safe
> mode of XP but cannot see anywhere to alter the refresh setting.
>
> I've looked in BIOS and altered the AGP aperture size to 128 (was
> previously set at 256 - assumed this was necessary as my 9200 card
> would only work if this read 256) but it still refuses to fire up.
>
> System specs are as above, plus an XP2200 CPU, Syntax SV266a mobo,
> 512Mb PC133 ram. Win98Se hard drive is a 60Gb Seagate, XP is on a 40Gb
> Maxtor.
>
> A clean install of XP on a spare hard drive it works fine – no
> errors or faults at all. This would lead me to assume the fault lies
> in a setting somewhere on my XP drive. Question is, where?
>
> Would anyone kindly tell me how to get my XP drive functioning again
> please? Also/alternatively, would anyone point me in the direction of
> a site that would give me the info/software necessary in order to
> flash my 9200 into something that works a little faster.
>
> Thanks.

Restart to safe mode... hit APPLY to the 16 color 640x480 video and then
restart the machine to normal mode. Then you should be able to set the
screen to what you need.

RussS 01-26-2004 07:38 AM

Re: XP and graphics card prob.

Snap - 9 outta 10 times it is usually refresh rate or something smiliar.

FredG 01-27-2004 01:47 AM

Re: XP and graphics card prob.

crudfree@hotmail.com (FredG) wrote in message news:<20005f81.0401251259.2d7e77e4@posting.google. com>...
> snip

Thanks all - problem solved. I don't think I had properly uninstalled
the 9200 drivers before installing the 8500's.