Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Modem Woes (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t662375-re-modem-woes.html)

AG 12-22-2003 09:31 PM

Re: Modem Woes

"Sujay L. Nazareth" <nazareth@NOSPAM.vcn.bc.ca> wrote in message
news:vuc3ganrub7p05@corp.supernews.com...
> Hello Everyone:
>
> Maybe someone has seen the following problem and offer advice on the same.
>
> Have a client with a 1.7 Ghz Celeron. MSI Motherboard. Onboard A/V/L . 256
> DDR RAM. 56K Lucent Modem & Windows XP Pro.
>
> Client is having an issue with no dial tone. Line is fine. No Splitter
> involved. Phone Cable is fine too. Used different jacks at the client's

site
> and now in my own office and problem persists. Attempted to get it to dial
> without waiting for dial tone, can hear the modem making the sounds like

it'
> s dialing, but it does not actually use the line, just making the sounds.
> Replaced the Modem with and ESS and USR modem and same problem. Did a wipe
> and reload to see if there was an issue with the OS, and the problem
> persists.
>
> Now I have not seen this before. Possible Motherboard problem? Tried to
> re-sit the card in a different PCI slot but that did not work. I did

connect
> a phone into the phone jack of the modem and the line is working. I am at

> loss here..
>
> If anyone can help that would be much appreciated!
>
> Please contact me by e-mail at : sujay@nospam.rapidtech.ca (Removing the
> obvious of course) or reply here....
>
> Thanks!

Ok how about using a phone wire tester. It's a little device that you can
get from a hardware store. It costs about $3.00 or so. It has an idiot
light,not saying you are one, that's just what it's called, that is green
for good line, red for crossed polarity and no light for no power. Sounds
like to me that it's crossed polarity. Many modems won't connect when
polarity is wrong and most phones will work.
AG

David Hough 12-23-2003 10:11 AM

Re: Modem Woes

Sujay, If you have a tip and ring reversal, only an old rotary dial
phone will work. I haven't seen one of those for a while. A touchtone
phone will not work with them reversed

John Coode 12-23-2003 12:50 PM

Re: Modem Woes

You can record a log of the modem's activity which
may give you a clue about what is happening. Look
up "Log and view modem commands" in Help and
Support.
John

natural_4u 12-23-2003 09:39 PM

Re: Modem Woes

Sujay,

Dave Smith might have something. You need to find out which COM port is
being used. You need to change it ! This should take care of the issue. Your
client must have been playing with the settings or something they were doing
had changed the settings. There are several COM ports that you can try....
when you change it try to dial out.... keep trying til you through... one of
those port should work... ok?!

AG 12-30-2003 11:17 PM

Re: Modem Woes

<nospam@notime.org> wrote in message
news:LVaGb.17644$Pg1.14101@newsread1.news.pas.eart hlink.net...
> My tester shows that the polarity is reversed (red light) at
> the jack (very common), goes into my switch box and comes out
> green. If I plug in the cable I made with the red and green wires
> reversed on one end from normal, the tester shows that that it
> comes out of the switch box reversed (red light). I guess that
> proves that the switch box doesn't auto sense and correct the
> polarity but simple switches it from jack in to jack out.

It really depends on the modem. I've found some that just wouldn't work
with. One customer in particular had a new line run to their computer and
it wouldn't work with the ISP that I work at. I went out and plugged in my
tester and told them what the problem was. After the phone guy came out and
corrected the problem it worked fine.
BTW it worked fine with my old 33.6 external modem on the same line. I love
that old thing. I can plug it into any computer with a serial port and it
will auto detect and let me check to see if there is a software problem.

AG