Velocity Reviews

-   -   Java in XP (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t662353-java-in-xp.html)

BaldEagle 12-20-2003 04:11 AM

Java in XP

A friend asked me to look at his new computer running XP. On one
website he wants to view a series of link buttons on the site show up
as little red "x" and are inactive.

When I checked his security setting "microsoft vm" does not show up.
I assume this means that Java script does not run

A little reading at the Microsoft site tells me that Virtual Machine
is not under license to microsoft any more and therefore not installed
with any version newer than SP1.

Can anyone tell me if that means that I have to download VM from
another site? Is there a version (Sun Micosystems?) that is
preferable? Is there anything tricky in installing it?

I would hate to screw up his new machine which otherwise is running
fine.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

John D Loop 12-20-2003 03:26 PM

Re: Java in XP

Go straight to the source....
java.sun.com and download the java VM.
Check my web site for tips on insuring safe computing in wired and wireless
homenetworking environments!
www.pccitizen.com

Creative Door 12-22-2003 11:59 PM

Re: Java in XP

Sun's version sucks pretty bad, your best bet is to get microsoft versions
from somewhere like kazza

Chapo 12-23-2003 11:31 AM

Re: Java in XP

"Creative Door" <Private@email.com> wrote in message
> Sun's version sucks pretty bad, your best bet is to get microsoft versions
> from somewhere like kazza
> "BaldEagle" <baldeagle1948@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >

> > A friend asked me to look at his new computer running XP. On one
> > website he wants to view a series of link buttons on the site show up
> > as little red "x" and are inactive.
> >
> > When I checked his security setting "microsoft vm" does not show up.
> > I assume this means that Java script does not run
> >
> > A little reading at the Microsoft site tells me that Virtual Machine
> > is not under license to microsoft any more and therefore not installed
> > with any version newer than SP1.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me if that means that I have to download VM from
> > another site? Is there a version (Sun Micosystems?) that is
> > preferable? Is there anything tricky in installing it?
> >
> > I would hate to screw up his new machine which otherwise is running
> > fine.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any replies.

try this.. http://www.virtualmachine.tk/
Graham