Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Some questions that came up in the exam today (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t662235-re-some-questions-that-came-up-in-the-exam-today.html)

Tony Sivori 11-30-2003 04:36 PM

quietkey wrote:

> Printer prints garbage or smiley faces and diamonds - Why

Interesting question, that. I googled for the answer, and it seems to be
due to the printer port setting in the bios. Also, perhaps coincidentally,
I see only HP printers mentioned with this specific "smiley faces and
diamonds" symptom.

The Google search:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y40A25CA6

The search result that I thought was most revealing:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?H21A12CA6

Also, as others have already mentioned I'd like to add that specific test
questions should not be posted here. It violates your NDA, and it reduces
this newsgroup to a braindump.

--
Tony Sivori

Jinkies 11-30-2003 11:15 PM

Re: Some questions that came up in the exam today

In article <pan.2003.11.30.16.36.52.675151@yahoo.com>,
TonySivoriM$WORMS@yahoo.com says...

> It violates your NDA, and it reduces
>this newsgroup to a braindump.

At least half the questions in any practice exam are braindumps. There seems
to be a certain segment of regulars to this newsgroup who don't believe they
used braindumps to pass when it would be nearly impossible to avoid them.

Stop the deluded sanctimonious hypocritical anti-braindump finger-wagging
already!

Jinkies 12-01-2003 05:55 PM

Re: Some questions that came up in the exam today

In article <3FCAA810.3060702@neo.rr.com>, WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com says...

> BUT, "finding the answer" is just another way
>of saying that they are going to learn some of the material covered by
>the exam, which is hard to fault, although I won't argue that giving an
>exact question is still a violation of the NDA.

Well CompTIA would have a hard time proving that certain exact questions that
appear in a study guide are copyright violation. For example I know of a
question and answer-set that appears in the Sybex Deluxe edition study material
that is identical to a question and answer-set I was given on the actual
CompTIA exam. Of course, it consisted of a non-wordy question and one-word
answers.

Since some questions are identical or very close to the real thing in
'respectable' study material, and since braindumps from test-takers rely on
imperfect memory in a stressful situation anyway, I see no ethical problem with
studying braindumps other than a pure copyright issue. As for that, what can I
say? I've got mp3s on my hard drive, too. If I had a considerable amount of
disposable income I would buy CDs more often and download mp3s less often. And
if I had been able to pass the A+ OS exam without studying braindumps I would
have. I tried and I failed, and then I decided only a fool would 'ethically'
try again without hedging all his bets and studying braindumps? Did I need
them? Maybe not because I studied a lot after failing the first time but I
wanted some real insurance so I would not be out another $100 which isn't chump
change to me these days. After completely memorizing 500 braindumps I still
only scored 782 on the linear OS exam. In my estimation I saw about 15-20% of
the questions I had memorized on the exam.

So really I don't care if you think I cheated, I don't care if you think I
don't know the material, and I don't care if you think I'm a whiner. What
matters to me is the $100US I saved; for some reason trolls on usenet just
don't seem to matter to me in the slightest.

Jinkies 12-01-2003 06:05 PM

Re: Some questions that came up in the exam today

In article <Xns9443DA7EBFD042781828@toughguy.net>, no@no.com says...

>I can also tell you extremes in teaching study. Most of the classes I
>took in college told you what kind of problems would be on the test.
>They did not give us the problems themselves. Taking and passing an
>exam that you studied very hard for is rewarding and also very relaxing
>when you are through with it. I'm out of college now and I am taking
>classes for my own edification/enjoyment and I can tell you the exam
>process there is a joke. Crib sheets and review sessions that give you
>85% of what's on the exam. There's not much joy in getting 96% on an
>exam that was practically "given" to me.

Somebody recently compared A+ to the CLEP, in that they both test objectives
that you're supposed to study on your own. the CLEP exams for college course
subjects are considered to be 'easier' exams than you would take if you were
attending college classes and taking a final exam, however that assessment
fails to take into account the fact that when you attend a college course you
are literally being spoon fed the material that the prof intends to put on the
tests. Cock half an eye open and you'll probably passively soak up enough to
pass the final exam. That's quite a bit different than having a load of
'objectives' plunked down in front of you and being expected to get cracking.
It is almost a given that you will learn more with self-study because you have
to be highly motivated and active in your pursuit of knowledge.

Tony Sivori 12-02-2003 02:37 AM

Jinkies wrote:
> TonySivoriM$WORMS@yahoo.com wrote:
>> It violates your NDA, and it reduces this newsgroup to a braindump.
>>

> At least half the questions in any practice exam are braindumps.

Mike's practice tests are not brain dumps. I used Mike's practice tests
only twice before I took the real tests, and I used no other practice
tests.

> There seems to be a certain segment of regulars to this newsgroup who
> don't believe they used braindumps to pass when it would be nearly
> impossible to avoid them.

I had no trouble avoiding brain dumps because instead of looking for brain
dumps, I spent my time studying.

> Stop the deluded sanctimonious hypocritical anti-braindump
> finger-wagging already!

I'll wag my finger wherever I like.

--
Tony Sivori

Jinkies 12-03-2003 10:46 AM

Re: Some questions that came up in the exam today

In article <K16zb.1528$Qd6.932@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.n et>,
noone@thisdontwork.net says...

>That was me but I don't believe that I said that CLEP examinations were
>"easier" than college course examinations.

I didn't say that you said the CLEP examinations are easier than college course
examinations. The CLEP site says andthe foreward to Cracking the CLEP from
Princeton Review say that the CLEP examinations are easier than college course
examinations..

>In my opinion they may actually
>be quite a bit harder. College courses are usually taught from a single
>text book, which sumarizes information from many sources.

You're repeating what I just said, so I guess we agree.

> You really have to be a SME
>or study your ass off to get a good score on most CLEP or DANTES tests.

I don't know what an SME is.

Jinkies 12-03-2003 10:51 AM

Re: Some questions that came up in the exam today

In article <vspalc3261g3f1@corp.supernews.com>, bobo@yoodelers.net says...

>> Well CompTIA would have a hard time proving that certain exact questions

>that
>> appear in a study guide are copyright violation.

>Who mentioned a copyright violation? Again you reaaly need to work on rthat
>reading comprehension.

Well obviously the 'violation of NDA' threat could only scare people who care
about retaining A+ certification. Anybody else would need to be intimidated by
a copyright violation threat.

>So you went from failure to cheat. Not surprising. I'm sure that's typical
>for you.

The fact that I hold the same certification you do, and that you think I
'cheated' to get it, and it's obviously frustrating you to no end, really
pleases me.

>Then STFU.

See above.