Velocity Reviews

-   -   Any suggestions? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t661977-any-suggestions.html)

havinfun69nospam@yahoo.com 10-21-2003 11:16 PM

Any suggestions?

I have a PII 350 with Win98, it boots but I get no desktop, only the
wallpaper shows up, no icons or start button. I tried to get it to
boot from the norton SW pro CD but to no avail even though the bios
shows it as an option. Any suggestions before I rebuild the machine?

BTW Kathy this is one of those family jobs.

Gary

youngstr11 10-22-2003 02:28 AM

Re: Any suggestions?

Did you try Safe Mode

Ronnie Broyles 10-22-2003 03:22 AM

Re: Any suggestions?

have you had this problem before? Have you tried F5 for safe mode or F8 for
other boot options? What happened immediately prior to this problem? Have
you recently added or deleted any software? Have you tried to use the NAV
rescue disks that NAV will prompt you to make?

havinfun69nospam@yahoo.com 10-22-2003 11:31 AM

Re: Any suggestions?

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 23:22:25 -0400, "Ronnie Broyles"
<rbroyles@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>have you had this problem before? Have you tried F5 for safe mode or F8 for
>other boot options? What happened immediately prior to this problem? Have
>you recently added or deleted any software? Have you tried to use the NAV
>rescue disks that NAV will prompt you to make?
>

><havinfun69nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:eofbpvo3qgq43g0922sqtmjtnoqq6epi02@4ax.com.. .
>> I have a PII 350 with Win98, it boots but I get no desktop, only the
>> wallpaper shows up, no icons or start button. I tried to get it to
>> boot from the norton SW pro CD but to no avail even though the bios
>> shows it as an option. Any suggestions before I rebuild the machine?
>>
>> BTW Kathy this is one of those family jobs.
>>
>> Gary

I don't know what precipitated this problem. It's not my computer. i
have tried F5 + F8.

Ronnie Broyles 10-22-2003 03:50 PM

Re: Any suggestions?

immediately after you turn the computer on, begin tapping the F5 key, and
continue tapping it--there is a limited amount of time to tap the key before
it begins to bring up the desktop for Windows.

Sometimes going into safe mode helps, sometimes it does not--depends on what
is wrong.

Tom MacIntyre 10-22-2003 09:25 PM

Re: Any suggestions?

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:31:52 GMT, havinfun69nospam@yahoo.com wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 23:22:25 -0400, "Ronnie Broyles"
><rbroyles@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>>have you had this problem before? Have you tried F5 for safe mode or F8 for
>>other boot options? What happened immediately prior to this problem? Have
>>you recently added or deleted any software? Have you tried to use the NAV
>>rescue disks that NAV will prompt you to make?
>>

>><havinfun69nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>news:eofbpvo3qgq43g0922sqtmjtnoqq6epi02@4ax.com. ..
>>> I have a PII 350 with Win98, it boots but I get no desktop, only the
>>> wallpaper shows up, no icons or start button. I tried to get it to
>>> boot from the norton SW pro CD but to no avail even though the bios
>>> shows it as an option. Any suggestions before I rebuild the machine?
>>>
>>> BTW Kathy this is one of those family jobs.
>>>
>>> Gary

>I don't know what precipitated this problem. It's not my computer. i
>have tried F5 + F8.

Before you do anything drastic, simply try a Windows reinstall, over
the top of the existing one. When playing with stuff like this, if I
have the time, as a second effort I reinstall Windows in a different
subdirectory to save the data, if it isn't backed up.

Tom

Tom

havinfun69nospam@yahoo.com 10-22-2003 11:06 PM

Re: Any suggestions?

>Before you do anything drastic, simply try a Windows reinstall, over
>the top of the existing one. When playing with stuff like this, if I
>have the time, as a second effort I reinstall Windows in a different
>subdirectory to save the data, if it isn't backed up.
>
>Tom
>
>Tom

I tried to reinstall Windows over the old one but it wouldn't let me
because I have the full version. Anyway I rebuilt the machine since
there was not any important data on it.

Thanks for your help,

Gary

techshare 11-03-2003 10:58 PM

Re: Any suggestions?

Some viruses will put a bogus copy of the explorer shell in the root folder.
You should always check for that by trying to bootup with progman (or
something along those lines) and going from there.