Velocity Reviews

-   -   Newbuild PC Problem (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t661957-newbuild-pc-problem.html)

Matty 10-18-2003 03:00 PM

Newbuild PC Problem

I am just building a new PC: Athlon XP2400+, 120GB Maxtor HDD, 256DDR,
Gigabyte GA-7DXE Mobo, Abit 128Mb Gf4.
On first boot, the machine recognised all the components perfectly.
All went well in installing Windows XP Pro, until the blue screen said press
enter to install windows.
Thne nothing was happening, no keyboard lights, no response from the screen.
It had definately hung.
So I pressed reset, and now the pc wont get past the Verifying DMI DataPool
line on boot up. It hangs there before the screen to say its booting from
CD.
When I disconnect the HDD ribbon cable, the PC will start to boot from the
CDROM, paast the Verifying DMI DataPool message, until we get to the press
enter to install windows.
I have tried another keyboard...same thing. I have tried both the new
keyboard and HDD in my other PC and they are fine. In fact the HDD is
formatting and partitioning as I write this.
So what can be wrong? Motherboard?
Any tips or ideas please most appreciated. If you think as I do its the mobo
tits then please confirm!!

MAny thanks in advance

Matty

jch 10-18-2003 03:50 PM

Re: Newbuild PC Problem

Sounds like it could be the board or maybe the onboard controller. Can you
disable the onboard HD controller in bios and put in a PCI controller card
to see if that works? Or... try another (smaller) HD and see what happens.
Maybe the mobo you have is just having trouble with that particular HD.

Walt R 10-18-2003 06:34 PM

Re: Newbuild PC Problem

"Matty" <matt@slippeddisk.fsnenegspamt.co.uk> wrote in message news:<bmrkik$8rt$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk>...
> I am just building a new PC: Athlon XP2400+, 120GB Maxtor HDD, 256DDR,
> Gigabyte GA-7DXE Mobo, Abit 128Mb Gf4.
> On first boot, the machine recognised all the components perfectly.
> All went well in installing Windows XP Pro, until the blue screen said press
> enter to install windows.
> Thne nothing was happening, no keyboard lights, no response from the screen.
> It had definately hung.
> So I pressed reset, and now the pc wont get past the Verifying DMI DataPool
> line on boot up. It hangs there before the screen to say its booting from
> CD.
> When I disconnect the HDD ribbon cable, the PC will start to boot from the
> CDROM, paast the Verifying DMI DataPool message, until we get to the press
> enter to install windows.
> I have tried another keyboard...same thing. I have tried both the new
> keyboard and HDD in my other PC and they are fine. In fact the HDD is
> formatting and partitioning as I write this.
> So what can be wrong? Motherboard?
> Any tips or ideas please most appreciated. If you think as I do its the mobo
> tits then please confirm!!
>
> MAny thanks in advance
>
> Matty

Several things need to be checked:
Double check the cpu jumpers, if it gets too hot you may get
odd symptoms.
Is the WindowsXP CD actually functional?
Does the CD drive work correctly?
Will the system boot up another operation system?
Boot up the system in DOS or linux, fdisk and format the harddrive.

Good Luck!
Walt R.

Hill Street Blues 10-18-2003 09:45 PM

Re: Newbuild PC Problem

In article <bmrkik$8rt$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk>,
matt@slippeddisk.fsnenegspamt.co.uk says...
> I am just building a new PC: Athlon XP2400+, 120GB Maxtor HDD, 256DDR,
> Gigabyte GA-7DXE Mobo, Abit 128Mb Gf4.
> On first boot, the machine recognised all the components perfectly.
> All went well in installing Windows XP Pro, until the blue screen said press
> enter to install windows.
> Thne nothing was happening, no keyboard lights, no response from the screen.
> It had definately hung.
> So I pressed reset, and now the pc wont get past the Verifying DMI DataPool
> line on boot up. It hangs there before the screen to say its booting from
> CD.
> When I disconnect the HDD ribbon cable, the PC will start to boot from the
> CDROM, paast the Verifying DMI DataPool message, until we get to the press
> enter to install windows.
> I have tried another keyboard...same thing. I have tried both the new
> keyboard and HDD in my other PC and they are fine. In fact the HDD is
> formatting and partitioning as I write this.
> So what can be wrong? Motherboard?
> Any tips or ideas please most appreciated. If you think as I do its the mobo
> tits then please confirm!!
>
> MAny thanks in advance
>
> Matty

Don't take this personally, But, was it a Legit Copy? And were you
connected to the Internet in any way..Ethernet, Cable Modem, DSL, any
possible way, where the software could find a way to reach MS Servers
do a quick check in a zillionth of a second, and then pipe some
data back to screw up your machine. This is a common scenario
I am seeing more and more, in my day to day travels.

~misfit~ 10-19-2003 12:04 AM

Re: Newbuild PC Problem

"Matty" <matt@slippeddisk.fsnenegspamt.co.uk> wrote in message
> I am just building a new PC: Athlon XP2400+, 120GB Maxtor HDD, 256DDR,
> Gigabyte GA-7DXE Mobo, Abit 128Mb Gf4.
> On first boot, the machine recognised all the components perfectly.
> All went well in installing Windows XP Pro, until the blue screen said

press
> enter to install windows.
> Thne nothing was happening, no keyboard lights, no response from the

screen.
> It had definately hung.
> So I pressed reset, and now the pc wont get past the Verifying DMI

DataPool
> line on boot up. It hangs there before the screen to say its booting from
> CD.
> When I disconnect the HDD ribbon cable, the PC will start to boot from the
> CDROM, paast the Verifying DMI DataPool message, until we get to the

press
> enter to install windows.
> I have tried another keyboard...same thing. I have tried both the new
> keyboard and HDD in my other PC and they are fine. In fact the HDD is
> formatting and partitioning as I write this.
> So what can be wrong? Motherboard?
> Any tips or ideas please most appreciated. If you think as I do its the

mobo
> tits then please confirm!!

That's an old model mobo, and, while I'm running one at the moment on this
machine (XP2200+) and it's fine, I certainly wouldn't be doing a new build
with one. They are limited to 266FSB, no independant PCI/AGP adjustment, no
vcore adjustment, no multiplier settings. You can up the FSB but it puts the
PCI and AGP busses out of spec.

If I were you, I'd return the mobo and get a cheap nForce2 chip-set board.
Soltek do one cheaply and I've had absolutely no problems with them. I've
used a couple on builds for mates and just wish I could afford to replace
mine with one.
--
~misfit~

---

Gordon Findlay 10-19-2003 02:55 AM

Re: Newbuild PC Problem

Hang on - have you any evidence - cold, hard evidence like captured
network traffic - that would prove that any MS product did this check
as you describe. Becausae MS don't admit to this happening: they rely
on activation.

And in this case, can you suggest how the possible internet connection
can be fnctioning without an installed OS? The Windows XP CD on its
own cannot initiate an Internet connection.

John E. Carty 10-19-2003 03:54 AM

Re: Newbuild PC Problem

> >In article <bmrkik$8rt$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk>,
> >matt@slippeddisk.fsnenegspamt.co.uk says...
> >> I am just building a new PC: Athlon XP2400+, 120GB Maxtor HDD, 256DDR,
> >> Gigabyte GA-7DXE Mobo, Abit 128Mb Gf4.
> >> On first boot, the machine recognised all the components perfectly.
> >> All went well in installing Windows XP Pro, until the blue screen said

press
> >> enter to install windows.
> >> Thne nothing was happening, no keyboard lights, no response from the

screen.
> >> It had definately hung.
> >> So I pressed reset, and now the pc wont get past the Verifying DMI

DataPool
> >> line on boot up. It hangs there before the screen to say its booting

from
> >> CD.
> >> When I disconnect the HDD ribbon cable, the PC will start to boot from

the
> >> CDROM, paast the Verifying DMI DataPool message, until we get to the

press
> >> enter to install windows.
> >> I have tried another keyboard...same thing. I have tried both the new
> >> keyboard and HDD in my other PC and they are fine. In fact the HDD is
> >> formatting and partitioning as I write this.
> >> So what can be wrong? Motherboard?
> >> Any tips or ideas please most appreciated. If you think as I do its the

mobo
> >> tits then please confirm!!
> >>
> >> MAny thanks in advance
> >>
> >> Matty
> >>

> > Don't take this personally, But, was it a Legit Copy? And were you
> > connected to the Internet in any way..Ethernet, Cable Modem, DSL, any
> > possible way, where the software could find a way to reach MS Servers
> > do a quick check in a zillionth of a second, and then pipe some
> > data back to screw up your machine. This is a common scenario
> > I am seeing more and more, in my day to day travels.

Uh, no operating system installed and it's contacting Microsoft??? What a
load :-)

Raymond 10-19-2003 04:23 PM

Re: Newbuild PC Problem

In fact the HDD is
formatting and partitioning as I write this.

Did you use fdisk to format and partition your HDD, then install xp from
cdrom? If you used fdisk to format and partition your hdd, you may as well
use fdisk to install win xp if you cannot install from cdrom.

Matty 10-19-2003 05:50 PM

Re: Newbuild PC Problem

"Raymond" <NotanEmailAddress@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> In fact the HDD is
> formatting and partitioning as I write this.
> >>>

> Did you use fdisk to format and partition your HDD, then install xp from
> cdrom? If you used fdisk to format and partition your hdd, you may as

well
> use fdisk to install win xp if you cannot install from cdrom.

Many thanks to all who have posted ideas.

It did not let me get that far! Now it hangs at the "Verify DMI DataPool"
message on the boot. Besides the keyboard ( have tried a new and old one)
fails to initialise, so I cannot even get into the Bios to change/check
setting!
This is why I am sure its the mobo, the HDD has been successfully formatted,
partitioned in another pc! The new Keyboard works on another PC. I have not
used the RAM in another PC but it recognises it fine on post!!

In answer to previous thoughts...the Windows is legit....the CD and cdrom
works fine.

Any more thoughts????

Cheers Matty

Shepİ 10-19-2003 05:59 PM

Re: Newbuild PC Problem

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 18:50:30 +0100, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Matty"
<matt@slippeddisk.fsnenegspamt.co.uk> wrote :

>"Raymond" <NotanEmailAddress@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> >>>

>> In fact the HDD is
>> formatting and partitioning as I write this.
>> >>>

>> Did you use fdisk to format and partition your HDD, then install xp from
>> cdrom? If you used fdisk to format and partition your hdd, you may as

>well
>> use fdisk to install win xp if you cannot install from cdrom.
>>

>Many thanks to all who have posted ideas.
>
>It did not let me get that far! Now it hangs at the "Verify DMI DataPool"
>message on the boot. Besides the keyboard ( have tried a new and old one)
>fails to initialise, so I cannot even get into the Bios to change/check
>setting!
>This is why I am sure its the mobo, the HDD has been successfully formatted,
>partitioned in another pc! The new Keyboard works on another PC. I have not
>used the RAM in another PC but it recognises it fine on post!!
>
>In answer to previous thoughts...the Windows is legit....the CD and cdrom
>works fine.
>
>Any more thoughts????
>
>Cheers Matty

Pull power cord and try clearing the CMOS again?

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in gmx for email