Velocity Reviews

-   -   i386 installation problem (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t661940-i386-installation-problem.html)

Raymond 10-15-2003 03:03 PM

i386 installation problem

I partitioned and formated my 2g C drive in fdisk. Then, I wanted to
install window 2000 on the D drive on the i386 directory. I typed winnt to
install window 2000.

A blue window popuped saying something setup needs to know where window 2000
files are located. Enter the path. and below this line a path D:\i386. I
pressed enter.

Then another blue window popuped saying setup did not detect smartdrive.
Giving me two option below > Press F3 to exit or enter to continue without
smartdrive. I pressed enter.

Then, another blue window popuped, window 2000 required a hard drive of at
least 212 mg of free disk space, and on the bottom saying setup was unable
to locate such a drive with the required amount of free space. Press enter
to exit!

What was wrong? How do I get window 2000 install by command prompt?

Thanks

MF 10-15-2003 04:38 PM

Re: i386 installation problem

Can you describe this a little more fully? What OS were you booted
into when you typed? What is D:, a cd drive, another hard drive,
another partition on the first drive, what? where are you trying to
install *to* and is that different from where your i386 directory is?
What file system did you use on your c drive?

And yes, if you're installing from a boot disk, it behooves you to
have smartdrv.exe on the disk and an entry in an autoexec.bat file to
load it. Or maybe config.sys - o my god, i forget which. Well, look
it up, or try one, and if it doesn't work, the other will. Without
smartdrive, the install will seem to take the rest of your life. Or
more.

good luck
mike

Raymond 10-15-2003 06:13 PM

Re: i386 installation problem

If you used Fat 32 the windows98 setup uses a ramdrive for temp
storage and it sets this ramdrive as the last drive letter available, its
never very big so w2k would not fit!

Yeah, I used a window 98 startup disk to partition for fat 32 inorder to
install window2000. Then, I used the same 2g hard drive to install window98
in the cmos menu by booting from cd. I should expect window 98 will
automatically guild me through the partition process and format, but I black
sreen popuped saying ntldr(nt loader) is missing. I just don't know where
to go from here. I just want to get any damn operating system installed.

Please help.

C. Philip Cutler II 10-15-2003 06:27 PM

Re: i386 installation problem

If you recently formatted the drive and want to install WIN 2K on it without
worrying about what's on there, just install from the Bootable CD. Don't
worry about what's on there and repartition it and format with NTFS.

Philip

Raymond 10-15-2003 06:28 PM

Re: i386 installation problem

Can you describe this a little more fully? What OS were you booted
into when you typed? What is D:, a cd drive, another hard drive,
another partition on the first drive, what? where are you trying to
install *to* and is that different from where your i386 directory is?
What file system did you use on your c drive?

I was trying to install window 2000 into a tini tiny 2g hard drive, which i
partitioned and format to call it C drive, then I tried to install window
2000 from the cdrom drive D by using the i386 folder from the cd in drive D.
It Won't work. Setup needs smartdrive and I went to edit autoexe.bat to put
a smartdrv there, but I crewuped or don't know how to put a smartdrv there
anyhow(any help on smartdrv is greatly appreciated).

Is window 2000 requires a hard drive that is larger than 2g?

Simon Telrenner 10-15-2003 07:12 PM

Re: i386 installation problem

It definitely sounds like a ram disk problem. The easiest way to get around
this is to probably boot to your start up disk, but have a blank disk
around. When the system has booted up amd you are at the a: prompt type
"format a: /s" (without the quotes), and format a new disk to be a system
disk. When it is done, boot to it. Then you will be able to do the install
as you were before. Note though, that you might want to read up on smartdrv
and use it as mentioned in another post.

Systems Administrator
Coordinated Home Care
kemery@coordinatedhomecare.me.com
remove me to email to me

Geoff 10-15-2003 11:33 PM

Raymond wrote:
> I partitioned and formated my 2g C drive in fdisk. Then, I wanted to
> install window 2000 on the D drive on the i386 directory. I typed
> winnt to install window 2000.
>
> A blue window popuped saying something setup needs to know where
> window 2000 files are located. Enter the path. and below this line
> a path D:\i386. I pressed enter.
>
> Then another blue window popuped saying setup did not detect
> smartdrive. Giving me two option below > Press F3 to exit or enter to
> continue without smartdrive. I pressed enter.
>
> Then, another blue window popuped, window 2000 required a hard drive
> of at least 212 mg of free disk space, and on the bottom saying setup
> was unable to locate such a drive with the required amount of free
> space. Press enter to exit!
>
> What was wrong? How do I get window 2000 install by command prompt?
>
> Thanks

can't you boot off the cd ?
installing it from dos sucks bad, it's slow and painful :)

Barry Watzman 10-16-2003 12:07 AM

Re: i386 installation problem

You do not install Windows in \I386, rather you install Windows in
\Windows from the install files in \I386.

Copy the I386 folder from the CD to D:\I386, then change to a dos prompt:

D:\I386>

and run WINNT. When it asks you were to install Windows, say D:\Windows.

Note, if you are doing a dual boot installation and are using the
Microsoft dual-boot software, you should install the other OS on drive
C: FIRST.

MF 10-16-2003 03:25 PM

> Can you describe this a little more fully? What OS were you booted
> into when you typed? What is D:, a cd drive, another hard drive,
> another partition on the first drive, what? where are you trying to
> install *to* and is that different from where your i386 directory

is?
> What file system did you use on your c drive?
> >>>>

> I was trying to install window 2000 into a tini tiny 2g hard drive,

which i
> partitioned and format to call it C drive, then I tried to install

window
> 2000 from the cdrom drive D by using the i386 folder from the cd in

drive D.
> It Won't work. Setup needs smartdrive and I went to edit

autoexe.bat to put
> a smartdrv there, but I crewuped or don't know how to put a smartdrv

there
> anyhow(any help on smartdrv is greatly appreciated).
>
> Is window 2000 requires a hard drive that is larger than 2g?

W2k will install on a 2 gig drive. I still need to know what you are
booting to. It sounds like you are using a DOS boot disk. This
implies that either you have an older computer that won't boot from
the CD or your computer is one of those that has to have it's Setup
program changed in order to boot from the CD.

Which is it? The ideal solution is to boot from the CD. Then your
smartdrive hassles are taken care of. But you can't run WINNT.exe
directly from the command prompt without smartdrive UNLESS you are
willing to spend many many hours installing the OS.

Here's how to install W2k on a computer with a blank hard drive (that
was made after late 1998 or so and will boot from the CD):

Turn the computer on. Put in the CD. Turn the computer off and turn
it back on. If it doesn't find the CD Drive to boot from, turn it off
and turn it back on. Watch the screen as it starts up. After a
moment or two, You will see a statement telling you to press a key to
enter Setup. Press the key. The text based setup program will show
you a menu. Press the arrow keys to highlight an option and the enter
key to see what the choices are for that option.

Do this until you find the entry that allows you to change your boot
order, the order of the drives the computer looks at to find an
operating system. (boot order is often under the second or third
option on the main menu).

Make the CD the first drive it looks at. Then press escape or F10
and follow the prompts to save your changes and exit. The computer
will restart and now it should boot from the W2K CD.

If it won't boot from the CD, you have to copy smartdrv.exe on to your
boot floppy disk from the operating system you used to make that boot
disk. If you used windows 98 Smartdrv.exe should be in your \windows
directory. Once you've copied it to the floppy, open (or make) the
autoexec.bat file and put in this statement a:\smartdrv.exe that's
all you need to do.

You can also search the internet for pre made boot disks, or
instructions on how to make one.

Now it will load into memory when the computer boots. And you can
change to your d: drive and run winnt.exe. By the way, how much
memory do you have in that computer?

To learn about smartdrive go here:
http://www.tcs.org/ioport/read9711.htm
Don't worry about what it says at the end about vcache replacing
smartdrive; if you are using a dos boot disk you need smartdrive.

Other possible sources of the problem - the hd is jumpered wrong
- somehow, the thing did not get partitioned to the full two gigs
-FAT16 - wouldn't cause a problem now, but would later. make sure you
formatted in FAT32 or NTFS.
(if your partition size or format is a problem, W2K setup (once it
runs) has a utility to repartition and format right in the middle of
setup- makes you wonder why they didn't do that years ago).
-you don't have enough memory.
-ramdrive should not be a problem. unless you lose track of it - I
say this because I have got confused about which one the ramdrive is,
but i've never seen windows lose track of it. if you forget which it
is just change (cd) to each drive letter and type dir . when you get
to the ramdrive, it will tell you volume so-and-so is MS-Ramdrive.
Make sure you are not confusing your ramdrive letter with your CD
drive letter, i.e., telling the computer that your i386 is in your
ramdrive not your cd drive.

HOWEVER, hopefully, your computer is new enough to boot from the CD.
That should solve the prob.
good luck
mike

Raymond 10-16-2003 07:02 PM

Re: i386 installation problem

Turn the computer on. Put in the CD. Turn the computer off and turn
it back on. If it doesn't find the CD Drive to boot from, turn it off
and turn it back on. Watch the screen as it starts up. After a
moment or two, You will see a statement telling you to press a key to
enter Setup. Press the key. The text based setup program will show
you a menu. Press the arrow keys to highlight an option and the enter
key to see what the choices are for that option.

I found it strange that after partitioned and formatted my hard drive using
fdisk in window 98 startup disk, I can't install window2000 by going to cmos
and boot from cd. If I pop out the win98 startup disk, then boot from cd,
the a c: prompt will popup and stand there forever. Above the standing c:
prompt are several lines like boot from cd, microsoft window 98, and the c:
prompt just stand there. Typed D:, and it can't even regconize the drive,
saying invalid drive specitication. So, I went back with the startup disk
all the way from partition, format, to install window 2000 in the i386
dirtory on cdrom drive, all are using fdisk. No problem with invalid drive
specification. The only problem using fdisk to install win2000 is extremly
slow. I just don't understand why can use fdisk to partition and format the
hard drive, but then I cannot use boot from cd to install window into the
hard drive. Instead, I have to choose one method and use it all the way.
My apologize if I ask stupid question.

Thanks