Velocity Reviews

-   -   A+ questions (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t661702-a-questions.html)

Adam Ross 09-05-2003 03:21 AM

A+ questions

1.) Does Win3.x have a registry, and if so, whats its name and why is it
important. Is it system.ini?

2.) InWin9x and Win3.x, what are the comparable names of the system & boot
partitions as in WIN2k? No such?....

3.) The actual OS, like win98, is stored in extended memory at all times??
if so where

4.)What is the big difference between a command prompt (run-cmd) within the
GUI and the command prompt/line only screen b4 booting windoze? I hear there
is no true command prompt in windoze 2000? This leaves me confuzzled.

THANX

Michael 09-05-2003 06:05 AM

re:A+ questions

1.) Does Win3.x have a registry, and if so, whats its name and why is
it
important. Is it system.ini?

- Nope, in Win3.x the system.ini is for system settings only. Each
program stores settings in their own .ini files.

2.) In Win9x and Win3.x, what are the comparable names of the system
& boot partitions as in WIN2k? No such?....

- Those days they weren't using the "system & boot partitions"
terms. But I still think you can install boot files and windows
system files to different partitions in win 3.x .

4.)What is the big difference between a command prompt (run-cmd)
within the GUI and the command prompt/line only screen b4 booting
windoze? I hear there is no true command prompt in windoze 2000? This
leaves me confuzzled.

- If you boot "command promt only" in Win 95/98 you will actually be
_emulates_ DOS promt but no actual DOS code is running inder
NT/2000/XP. For more on it see
http://www.opentechsupport.net/forum...c/11492-1.html

==============

Nigel Kendrick 09-05-2003 03:21 PM

Re: re:A+ questions

"Michael" <mick@certfaq-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> 1.) Does Win3.x have a registry, and if so, whats its name and why is
> it
> important. Is it system.ini?

Win 3.x had REG.DAT

Programs could store various configuration settings in REG.DAT in order to
keep all the data in one place rather than in .ini or other files in folders
elsewhere.

NK