Velocity Reviews

-   -   whats the difference mbps (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t661395-whats-the-difference-mbps.html)

Wetware 07-24-2003 08:26 PM

whats the difference mbps

Whats the difference between mega BITES per second and mega BITS per
second?

Geoff 07-24-2003 08:30 PM

Re: whats the difference mbps

Wetware wrote:
> Whats the difference between mega BITES per second and mega BITS per
> second?

mega bites is how many bites you can take out of something like a burner per
second
like, some poeple can do 56 bites a sec, and some poeple can do 512 bites a
second !

Geoff 07-24-2003 08:31 PM

Geoff wrote:
> Wetware wrote:
>> Whats the difference between mega BITES per second and mega BITS per
>> second?

> mega bites is how many bites you can take out of something like a
> burner per second
> like, some poeple can do 56 bites a sec, and some poeple can do 512
> bites a second !

burger even
lol

David Hough 07-24-2003 09:16 PM

Re: whats the difference mbps

A byte is eight bits. Do the math

ride80 07-24-2003 11:03 PM

Re: whats the difference mbps

8 bits in a byte. Now add the word MEGA and there you go

Ken Briscoe 07-25-2003 10:24 AM

Re: whats the difference mbps

> Megabits/sec * 1/8 = Megabytes/sec.

Not quite. Got it backwards. 8 bits in 1 byte. So 8 Mb in 1 MB. So Mbits * 8
= MBytes.

KB

Tom MacIntyre 07-25-2003 10:33 AM

Re: whats the difference mbps

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:24:04 GMT, "Ken Briscoe"
<nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>> Megabits/sec * 1/8 = Megabytes/sec.
>>

>Not quite. Got it backwards. 8 bits in 1 byte. So 8 Mb in 1 MB. So Mbits * 8
>= MBytes.
>
>KB

I think it was right the first time. The megabyte is bigger, so you
divide the 8 into the smaller unit to get the bigger unit.

Try it this way...is it

eggs*12=dozens

or

eggs*1/12=dozens?

Tom

Gareth Church 07-25-2003 12:46 PM

"Ken Briscoe" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> > Megabits/sec * 1/8 = Megabytes/sec.
> >

> Not quite. Got it backwards. 8 bits in 1 byte. So 8 Mb in 1 MB. So Mbits *

8
> = MBytes.

Nope, it was right originally. As you say, 8 bits is 1 byte. So you take the
number of bits and divide by 8 (ie. times by 1/8). If you multiply by 8 you
are saying 8 bits = 64 bytes.

Gareth