Velocity Reviews

-   -   News or sites for PC Service/Repair? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t661337-news-or-sites-for-pc-service-repair.html)

techshare 07-14-2003 04:52 PM

News or sites for PC Service/Repair?

Are there any newsgroups or websites (with forums) dedicated to the PC
repair/service business? I am really looking for groups with people that
actually run full time PC repair/service businesses. Thanks.

Dale 07-14-2003 05:18 PM

Re: News or sites for PC Service/Repair?

Check Yahoo Groups, I belive I've seen some there.

Ghost 07-14-2003 11:26 PM

Re: News or sites for PC Service/Repair?

In article <rpudnV6F3ftJQo-iU-KYvg@comcast.com>, "techshare"
<nospam@nospam.net> wrote:

> Are there any newsgroups or websites (with forums) dedicated to the PC
> repair/service business? I am really looking for groups with people that
> actually run full time PC repair/service businesses. Thanks.

What do you need techshare?

Ghost 07-15-2003 04:27 AM

Re: News or sites for PC Service/Repair?

In article <dOucnSiOWJejxY6iXTWJhw@comcast.com>, "techshare"
<nospam@nospam.net> wrote:

> I don't "need" anything in particular. Really just looking for conversation
> with other people running similar businesses.
> "Ghost" <user@user.com> wrote in message
> > In article <rpudnV6F3ftJQo-iU-KYvg@comcast.com>, "techshare"
> > <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Are there any newsgroups or websites (with forums) dedicated to the PC
> > > repair/service business? I am really looking for groups with people that
> > > actually run full time PC repair/service businesses. Thanks.

> > What do you need techshare?

I have a small PC service center... apluscomputer.biz 3 employees at the
moment...

Things are really slow right now, how about you???

havinfun69nospam@yahoo.com 07-15-2003 03:49 PM

Re: News or sites for PC Service/Repair?

Can I ask what you guys charge for an hourly rate
both in the shop and onsite. I'm in CT and am looking into starting my
own businnes.

Thanks ,

Gary

techshare 07-15-2003 04:12 PM

Re: News or sites for PC Service/Repair?

Oh, and I always charge more for businesses. There are very good reasons for
this that are too numerous to list in this post.

Ghost 07-16-2003 01:11 AM

Re: News or sites for PC Service/Repair?

In article <pm88hvghjqupdfet77jnaupo2podj3v5en@4ax.com>,
havinfun69nospam@yahoo.com wrote:

> Can I ask what you guys charge for an hourly rate
> both in the shop and onsite. I'm in CT and am looking into starting my
> own businnes.
>
> Thanks ,
>
> Gary

The average rate in my area is $50 an hour bench time. $75 an hour for
service calls.

The best way to determine things for your area is to call all the other
shops in your area and ask their rates. That is what I did, and then I
set my rates to right in the middle.

Good luck.

Ghost 07-16-2003 01:23 AM

Re: News or sites for PC Service/Repair?

In article <zjKdncbVFIaQtYmiU-KYvA@comcast.com>, "techshare"
<nospam@nospam.net> wrote:

> Oh, and I always charge more for businesses. There are very good reasons for
> this that are too numerous to list in this post.
> <havinfun69nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Can I ask what you guys charge for an hourly rate
> > both in the shop and onsite. I'm in CT and am looking into starting my
> > own businnes.
> >
> > Thanks ,
> >
> > Gary

Actually, I am the opposite- for several reasons.

First, I am a business, and I am sick of paying higher prices for the same
product or service just because I am a business. Why should I have to pay
a higher rate for things like a telephone line than for my residential
line. Since I do not like being treated this way, I will not treat my
clients this way.

Plus, service calls for residences is more a convenience to the customer.
Well, then the customer can pay for that convenience. For businesses, you
cannot just pick up a network and bring it in to the shop- therefore a
service call is more a requirement than a convenience.

Now, since I live in an area where older people are the norm, I also
realize that many of the customers do not know who to plug all the parts
in, or they just cannot pick up heavy computers or whatever. So, this
being the case, I also offer a pickup and delivery service. My
technicians will come to the house, unplug everything, and bring in what
we need. After the repairs are completed, then one of the techs will
bring it all back, plug it all in, and turn it on for you.

Why dont I want to do home service calls? Well, first of all, the
computers are usually relegated to some dark, dank corner of a room
somewhere with poor lighting, cheap wobbly desks with no room to work,
with an uncomfortable kitchen chair to sit on. As I mentioned before,
most of the population here is elderly so they generally cannot afford to
run the AC, so the homes are very hot. So here I sit, sweating over some
nasty little cobwebbed desk, with the cabling a total mess under the desk,
and all the time the home-owner wont even offer you a glass of water.
Then, after being on site for several hours doing whatever needs to be
done, the customer then balks at the bill because for a good amount of
time I might have been twiddling my thumbs waiting for an OS to load or
waiting to DL a 20MB driver set of their 33.6k modem. They do not seem to
feel like they need to pay me for time just sitting around.

Now, while I am on site, I cannot take care of any other business like
phone calls, quotes, working on multiple computers at once, etc. So, for
the most part, you really cannot make effective use of your time on a
residential service call.

Gaz 07-16-2003 12:15 PM

> In article <o4Gcncw8CfR3EY6iXTWJkA@comcast.com>, "techshare"
> <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:
>
> I have a display ad, and it is (without being overly egotistical) the
> nicest looking ad in the category. It really stands out from the other
> ads. After all, it is an advertisement- and its whole purpose is to make
> you stand out from the others.

Could you email me a copy of your advertisement, looking for inspiration for
a yellow pages ad here in the uk - gazter@msn.com

Gaz

BigPhishee 07-26-2005 07:03 PM

user@user.com (Ghost) wrote in news:user-1507032123560001@1.0.0.3:

> In article <zjKdncbVFIaQtYmiU-KYvA@comcast.com>, "techshare"
> <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:
>
>> Oh, and I always charge more for businesses. There are very good
>> reasons for this that are too numerous to list in this post.
>> <havinfun69nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > Can I ask what you guys charge for an hourly rate
>> > both in the shop and onsite. I'm in CT and am looking into starting
>> > my own businnes.
>> >
>> > Thanks ,
>> >
>> > Gary

> Actually, I am the opposite- for several reasons.
>
> First, I am a business, and I am sick of paying higher prices for the
> same product or service just because I am a business. Why should I have
> to pay a higher rate for things like a telephone line than for my
> residential line. Since I do not like being treated this way, I will
> not treat my clients this way.
>
> Plus, service calls for residences is more a convenience to the
> customer. Well, then the customer can pay for that convenience. For
> businesses, you cannot just pick up a network and bring it in to the
> shop- therefore a service call is more a requirement than a convenience.
>
> Now, since I live in an area where older people are the norm, I also
> realize that many of the customers do not know who to plug all the parts
> in, or they just cannot pick up heavy computers or whatever. So, this
> being the case, I also offer a pickup and delivery service. My
> technicians will come to the house, unplug everything, and bring in what
> we need. After the repairs are completed, then one of the techs will
> bring it all back, plug it all in, and turn it on for you.
>
> Why dont I want to do home service calls? Well, first of all, the
> computers are usually relegated to some dark, dank corner of a room
> somewhere with poor lighting, cheap wobbly desks with no room to work,
> with an uncomfortable kitchen chair to sit on. As I mentioned before,
> most of the population here is elderly so they generally cannot afford
> to run the AC, so the homes are very hot. So here I sit, sweating over
> some nasty little cobwebbed desk, with the cabling a total mess under
> the desk, and all the time the home-owner wont even offer you a glass of
> water. Then, after being on site for several hours doing whatever needs
> to be done, the customer then balks at the bill because for a good
> amount of time I might have been twiddling my thumbs waiting for an OS
> to load or waiting to DL a 20MB driver set of their 33.6k modem. They
> do not seem to feel like they need to pay me for time just sitting
> around.
>
> Now, while I am on site, I cannot take care of any other business like
> phone calls, quotes, working on multiple computers at once, etc. So,
> for the most part, you really cannot make effective use of your time on
> a residential service call.

Ghost,
Thanks for sharing your viewpoint. Now that I think about it, I have to
agree with you. I have had too many experiences matching what you have
described. As I am currently working to start my own business, I will
definitely have to keep this in mind.
Thanks!