Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: comptia naming conventions. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t661248-re-comptia-naming-conventions.html)

JimW± 06-29-2003 03:54 AM

Re: comptia naming conventions.

You make some good points

CompTIA Certified Computer Professional would work - but for the abbreviation
.... maybe Computer Technology Industry Association Certified Professional ( CTIACP )

Even several front desk people at a career college (that taught MCSE courses) did not know what A+ meant - it is terribly nondescriptive

Ghost 06-29-2003 01:22 PM

Re: comptia naming conventions.

And why is any of this being discussed here?

We have no control over whatever CompaTIA wants to do. This should be
taken up with CompTIA if you think there is a chance in hell they might
respond and change something.

While the original point does have some merit, it is like complaining
about the weather- there is nothing we can do.

walterbyrd 06-29-2003 05:21 PM

Re: comptia naming conventions.

Maybe you didn't notice this at the bottom of my message:

Please send your own letter to:
http://comptia.com/contact/default.asp

Write to CompTIA. Ask them to change their naming conventions.
Encorage others to do so. Don't be such a defeatest. CompTIA may not
even be aware of how badly their naming conventions suck.

BTW: last time I spoke with skilldrill, they told me they were
considering monitored testing. This would put their tests on par with
CompTIA. Thank Goodness, the industry needs more than one PC tech
certification. Especailly since CompTIA is lacking in many ways.

Pikoro 06-30-2003 01:36 AM

Re: comptia naming conventions.

A+ stands for an entry level course that prepares you in many different
fields. The + is a convention that CompTIA adds to its certs. to distinguish
them from others, and I must say that it is quite attractive, a marketing
quirk.
Thus, an A+ tech. would be considered for additional training and then
repair of computers, printers, networks, help desk, etc.
PC+ would not be an accurate description of all the subjects covered in the
exam.
Moreover, A+ will bump you high on searches and keywords, not so PC+.
Lastly, we cannot change it now, it is already established so the whole
issue is moot. Imagine all the techs. that have already promoted their
resumes with the A+ designation, having to change it now.
As with any convention it is just a handy way of naming things; conventions
are sometimes illogical, but correct simply because used.
"O tempora, o mores." (Cicero)

news:aqtLa.315213$ro6.7710695@news2.calgary.shaw.c a...